Wrenching on my girls white 91 spider again. Suggestions needed - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintre View Post
Still have the same girlfriend? If yes, and she let you wait 3 years to get back on fixing her ALFA, she's a keeper!

Good luck,

Vin
She's been very impatient this year. And frankly, i just want it done. She still doesnt know how to drive a standard. We'll see if she takes to the car or not after the car hopefully becomes road worthy.

Last edited by Chizel; 08-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Here are some more pics.
Attached Images

post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

few more to show missing hole. Went to fire her up last nite. Through some wd40 in each piston, spun the motor a few times to let everything move around. put plugs back on and no start. turns out both intank and inline pump are frozen from sitting so long, rubber isolators that hold inline fuel pump need replacing as well. also had to replace that funky hose that comes out of the sending unit that is L shaped and tapered. I dont think it is obtainable anymore. so i used 7/16" fuel hose. Still have other things to do as well. Wheel alignment, align serpentent belt with a/c compressor. It's off by one spline, find out where a/c is leaking from and im sure some some other things i cant think of off hand. Poor car also took a beatdown from hail in april, along with my quad which is now in Austin waiting to get repainted. She unfortunately only has had liability. But then again she has never really drove it fully functional. My LAZY arse's fault. light maybe at the end of the tunnel. Hehe
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Recieved the two fuel pumps today and installed them. Engine running again. Went to try the a/c just to see if the clutch was activating. Clutch is not engaging. It was my understanding that the clutch kicks on automatically wether or not the the refrigerant is low or not? Am i mistaken. I ran a direct hot wire to a/c compressor and the clutch did engage. But will not engage from the a/c switch. Fans are turning on and off, but not compressor? Anyone know if the s4 series alfa's have a low pressure cut off switch?

Last edited by Chizel; 08-08-2016 at 10:26 PM.
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizel View Post
Anyone know if the s4 series alfa's have a low pressure cut off switch?
here is the AC page from the wiring diagram that might help track down things...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf s4 electrical diagram 18.pdf (155.3 KB, 42 views)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
here is the AC page from the wiring diagram that might help track down things...
I appreciate the diagram. I unfortunately am not good at reading them. Its like reading chinese to me. Will try though. Does anyone know if the S4 series alfa have a low freon cutoff switch to prevent compressor clutch turning on?
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Yes look on the diagram upper right corner - min/max pressure switch (trinary) follow the wire out and you'll see it controls the relay that sends power to the clutch. With no pressure that switch is open so relay cannot engage and no power to clutch.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
Yes look on the diagram upper right corner - min/max pressure switch (trinary) follow the wire out and you'll see it controls the relay that sends power to the clutch. With no pressure that switch is open so relay cannot engage and no power to clutch.
Thank you! Kcabpilot. Will have it serviced once i'm done changing out the master brake cylinder and alighnment.
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizel View Post
few more to show missing hole.
The reason Alfa only used 3 holes is the body only has 3 aluminum bushings in between the frame rail. All pre power steering cars just used 3 bolts. They just didn't want to spend the money to make different body panel stampings.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
The reason Alfa only used 3 holes is the body only has 3 aluminum bushings in between the frame rail. All pre power steering cars just used 3 bolts. They just didn't want to spend the money to make different body panel stampings.
Thanks. It just didnt make sense to me. Because it has a hole, but it just stops short of going through the other side.

Last edited by Chizel; 08-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Took the car today to NTB (national tire battery) for a alignment. Afterwords took the car for a spin on the highway. Drove straight as an arrow and no more wobbling. Thanks to replacing the worn out lower a arm bushings. Next things that needs to be addressed is the inacurate speedo and non working tachometer, A/C, blinking airbag light, oil pressure gauge sending unit, broken driver side tail light lens. I still here a small clunk in the rear differential when taking off or reverse or letting off gas while driving then giving it gas, but that has always been there since i got the car. Already rebuilt the driveline and have all new flex joint, u joints, drive shaft support bearing and new motor mounts and transmission mounts. I guess the differential is a bit worn out. Anyone else ever have a differential with a little play and clunk sound. This is a first for me, and i've had alfa's for 31 years.

Last edited by Chizel; 08-24-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

My girl and i drove the car to austin for its maiden long distance test drive. This is the first time i've really driven a s4 series spider. I have 2 of my own that i've bought but still not running. Thing i really noticed, is that it has alot of body roll. I dont believe that my s2 and s3 series alfa's have as much body roll as the s4. Also hear the s4 valves are more clattery, and i must conquer. Engine has been running good so far. It sure could use a little louder muffler to overpower the valve train though. Donno if the body roll is worse on this car than other s4's, as i had to weld that area where the steering gear bolts onto. Will check for cracks when i get back home. Anyone with s4's have alot of body roll i'm describing?
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I'd guess worn bushings or something.

I thought my S4 had a lot of valve noise, but using a stethoscope I found it was the injectors. They are REALLY LOUD for some reason. Perhaps that's it for you as well.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
I'd guess worn bushings or something.

I thought my S4 had a lot of valve noise, but using a stethoscope I found it was the injectors. They are REALLY LOUD for some reason. Perhaps that's it for you as well.
I pretty much changed everything. When i say body roll, i guess i mean the way the car flexes when you go over bumps and stuff like that.
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:13 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Cowl shake, then. Chassis stiffener really helps.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode