!991 Spider Performance - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

!991 Spider Performance

Does any one have suggestions in how to increase performance for the 2000cc's Spider? I want to know if it is possible to increase current horsepower or and if a supercharger can be installed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sniady
How much horse do you want? You can put a supercharger on, or you can do the normal aspiration modifactions such as, cams, exhaust, fuel injection tweak, list goes on.

p.s. remember emissions

Sniady
'how the devil do they do that with a live rear axle?'
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 05:09 AM

I've made a few tweaks to my 1990 S4 spider:

Green Cotton Air filter (http://217.204.20.36/index.htm) - they don't list one for this car, but if you e-mail me, at [email protected] , then I will let you exactly which part number for the one that is a direct bolt on. Its a cone filter that will replace the whole airbox. (I think it's K6.70 on this page but I will check - http://217.204.20.36/index.htm)

Remove the catalytic convertor - You can do this as the lambda probe is before the cat. You need to by an early front section (down pipes to the rear box near the rear axle), then weld an M18 fine thread nut onto the exhaust, just infront of the 1st exhaust box, to screw the lambda probe back into the exhaust.

The lambda probe must be put in, otherwise the ECU will put you onto an emergency get home scenario, which increase your fuel consumption & gives ****** performance.

Doing these two has given better mid-range performance, a lovely induction roar & a better exhaust note,

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 & 1971 Alfa Giulia GT1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Sniady: thanks for your reply. Can you give me more information about the supercharger? I have a 1991 Spider which I like very much, but I wonder if I can get maybe 20 30 more HP'S out of the engine. Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:23 AM

You could try the cheaper method of transplating a Milano (Alfa 75) 2litre twinspark 8 valve engine into it. They are 150bhp standard.

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 & 1971 Alfa Giulia GT1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 10:29 AM

rrudoy, you don't say where you live, but keep in mind that in most places in the US, eliminating or modifying any emissions equipment on a 1991 model will keep your car from passing state inspection and you'll be off the road.

Another thought from the "old fart" perspective (i.e. been there, done that) -- even assuming the emissions compliance issue is not a problem for you, adding 20 or 30 HP to a US-spec Bosch-injected 2 liter will not be an inexpensive process through any means. I rebuilt my 1974 2 liter last winter, just in parts I spent over $1,000 and I did all the work -- engine and trans removal and install, all the teardown, cleaning, measuring, and assembly. I spent another $300 or so on machine shop time. Most auto shops charge what, $60 an hour? I would easily have dropped another $2,000 on labor if I couldn't do my own work.

The twin-spark engine jamie mentions is not readily available here in the US, and the cheapest I've heard of someone getting one was about $800. Then they had to install it , not exactly a "drop in", it takes some work. And remember, it was never imported to the US, so you'll need to find a way to get it approved if you live in an emissions inspection area.

If you really want a more powerful car, buy one and save your spider for sunny day cruisin'. These cars have never been unusually powerful or fast, that wasn't their purpose.

If you're not in the US, just ignore my rambling. It still won't be cheap, but you probably won't face as many barriers to modifications.

Tony
Portland, OR
74 GTV 2000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode