Speed Bleeders from Centerline - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Speed Bleeders from Centerline

Has anyone tried these speed bleeders from Centerline? Do they work? Are they to good to be true?

Also has anyone used the brake kits from Centerline? Mine are in need of an overhaul and the kit seems like a decent deal. They also have the performance kit with drilled and slotted rotors- Any experience with those?

"The bleeder screw with built-in check valve. When it is time to bleed your brakes, simply loosen the speed bleeder 1/4 - 1/2 turn and pump your brake pedal. When the pedal is depressed, pressure opens the check valve letting air and brake fluid out of the Speed Bleeder. When you release the pedal, the check valve closes and prevents any air from re-entering the system through the Speed Bleeder." from Centerlines description

Any info is appreciated- looking to start on a brake job soon.
Cheers

Chris B. Los Angeles, CA
1985 GTV6

Last edited by motolust; 04-23-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Speed bleeders have been around and in use for several years now and by any report I've heard, do just what they claim to do.

Pricey to be sure, but pay for themselves the first time you have to bleed alone without a pressure bleeder or assistant. (racers tend enjoy that feature quite a bit)

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:47 AM

I put a set of speed bleeders on a 914 project I was working on a year or so ago. Made life so much easier.
I only wish they would have had them when I was an SCCA racer back in the dark ages.
I give them a complete thumbs up. Make the job a one person event, done in about five minutes...

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 AM

so once they're tightend do they act like regular bleed screws or do you have to swap them back?

Dan
69 spider 105.62
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Once they are in they need not be removed again. (that would require another bleed and reinstallation of the speedbleeders to accomplish )

Mechanically they seal the calipers or cylinders when tightened, and open up a bleed port when backed out a little, same as regular bleeders, except they have a spring and checkball inside to prevent the reversion of air into the system when the pedal is released.

You squeeze pedal, checkball moves and air/fluid comes out, you release pedal and checkball seats to prevent reversion.

SpeedBleeder site

Darren

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 04-24-2006 at 08:54 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Just another "thumbs up". Work as advertised. I like 'em.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Sounds like one of those bad boys would be a keen way to bleed your clutch slave, too!....

dlt
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM

This part sounds messy:

Quote:
The thread sealant is now available so that you can replace the sealant that has worn off over time. The recommended procedure for applying is as follows:

Remove bleeder. Clean the Speed Bleeder with soapy water to remove any brake fluid or grease and dry. A hair dryer does this nicely. With the brush cap applicator apply a small amount of thread sealant evenly to the threaded portion of the bleeder screw. (Leave the first 1 1/2 threads uncoated. This makes it easy to start threading into the wheel cylinder or caliper without cross threading.) After it is applied, dry with a hair dryer on high setting for about 1 minute. When cool and dry it is ready for installation.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
That's no different from any other bleed screw and something I've always thought of. The speedbleeders are no different on the outside from any other bleed screw. On the other hand, I've never put new sealant on one, speedbleeder or otherwise.

Yeah, I bought one for my clutch when I bought them for my brakes. Haven't installed it yet, though.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Messy or not, it'll stop leaks (which in reality are probably as unheard of as they are in regular bleeders) and definitely aid in preventing shearing off the bleeder well before it even thinks about coming loose (which you do hear about happenening all the time)

I'd take 10 minutes out of my life every year or two to do it when replacing the fluid anyway.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

I believe that the thread sealant is to prevent air from leaking back into the caliper when the speedbleeder is loose and the brake pedal is released.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:30 PM

I got one for the clutch slave. and it seemd to work ok. but the head is not metric and I did not have a non-metric ¼ inch I think to fit it. but they do seem to work.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When I was on the mainland I had one tech put them on almost every brake job that he did - especially if they were repeat customers ;-)

1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L <- Free to a good home
Melrose, MA
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm getting the impression that these are one of those good things everyone should have in order to better facilitate maintenance.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Well, that or to be the first kid on the block with them

Darren

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode