Brake job and Rear Axle oil leak - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Brake job and Rear Axle oil leak

What started out as a normal brake job is turning into a big thing with my spider on blocks and spring weather upon us . Help!

I started out replacing the disc pads (Italian metalic-IAP) on the brakes. Noticing the rotors were rather thin and decided to install cross-drill/slotted rotors front and rear (Centerline). Of course there was the re-packing of the front bearings, brake line bleeding and the lot. Then I discovered one of the caliper piston rubber boot was torn , so should I replace all 8 of them on the 4 calipers?

When I removed the right rear rotor, I noticed the emergency brake pads were wet with oil, and the drum has evidence of oil leak. The only thing I can think of is the factory sealed bearing oil seal is leaking from the axle. Besides ordering new drum brake pads and cleaning the brake system, what can I do about the oil leak on the right rear axle ?

Also noticed the fabric limit strap has one layer torn/broken. Should I replace them on all 4 corners? Is it a big job ?

And I noticed there is oil on the differentials housing . I had the U-joint/donut/drive shaft support bearing replaced a year ago. I assumed the seal into the differentials housing was replaced then. Where else can the oil come from?

I bought this Alfa to learn to work on it. But I didn't bargain for all these at once. Wonder what else can go wrong? The car has been a garage queen all winter, and is dying to be driven in this gorgeous spring weather . Thanks for all the help in advance.

David
86 Spider Veloce-84k miles-2nd owner. Never in snow or rain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 AM

I don't think that you are seeing oil from the differential.

Differential oil does not wet the rear wheel bearings (unless your differential was significantly overfilled. The rear wheel bearings are sealed.

The rear wheel bearings do need replacing as they develop lateral play and get noisy.

The rear wheel bearing seals are easy to replace, but to my mind they are primarily there to stop road grit from entering the axle shaft and bearing.

ELIO
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Elio. I wonder then what the greasy film would be on the emergency brake shoes. I have never heard any grind or groaning sound from the rear axle so you are probably right. The shop manual does not illustrate how to replace the rear wheel bearing seals, unless I am looking at the wrong place. Any idea or suggestion?

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode