Which Battery for an S4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Ren

Garage
Which Battery for an S4

What is the correct or recommended battery for a European spec S4 (that is one without aircon). The reason for my question is that over the years I have bought batteries for the car and each time the spec has been different. When I asked why, I have been told that this one is the correct spec! I have had a problem with battery drainage due to little use (about 3000 miles a year). Despite regarding anything to do with Alfa electrics as a black art, I believe the cause to be the immobiliser and a faulty stop light switch. Now that this seems sorted I am looking to replace the local store cheap battery with something that does not need topping up and more attention than the car! Any thoughts welcome and thanks as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Weighs half as much as a wet cell battery, never leaks, holds its charge much longer than wet cell.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm

1975 Spider -- Long gone gateway drug
1983 Spider -- Dead: slowly parted-out on eBay
1974 Spider -- Sold, alas.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm using a 75/25 Red top from these guys:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...utomotive.html

No leaks no fuss, esp. good at sitting around and little use - read their propaganda FAQ here:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...l#000100010004

If yours is a 91 to 94, this is the one ( same as my 82 ):

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ry_search.html

Cost was ~$140.00 ( 'bout £80.52 ish )

Don't know who distributes in your neck o' the woods, but here's the European site:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...duct_info.html

jeff
...no affiliation, just a happy customer....

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:40 PM

Jeff,

When I go to the Optima site that asks for the make/model/year info, it comes up no matches for the S4 Spider. My computer, or did they sell the last one.

Thanks

Bill Truman
'93 Spider (verde inglese)
'74 GTV (verde metallizzato)
"Somebody stop me!"
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:30 PM

Optima. Recommended to me by two Alfa techs before I discovered the BB. Works great.

1994 Spider Veloce Ce #88 w/15K Miles (sold)
2006 Maserati GranSport Spyder w/5k miles
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yor best bet is to call them - the website lags the manufacturing reality...
( but my bet is 75/25 ) here is what they say for a Series 4 ( as defined by year )

ALFA ROMEO
All Models
1994-1991 Factory installed <--- This makes it a Series 4, I suspect ( although, I believe it is called for in almost any/all Alfa application...
Alternative Selections:
Part Number: RED75/35
CCA: 720
Model Name: Optima
Battery Group Size: 75DTO

They don't make the 75/35 any longer - and my fone call garnered that the 75/35 is the same as the 75/25 [ currently at any rate.. ]

Differing numbering systems aside, it's a darn good battery to put into your trunk ( boot ).

Optima Batteries, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
17500 E. 22nd Avenue
Aurora, CO 80011

Toll Free: 888-8OPTIMA (888-867-8462)
Phone: 303-340-7440
Fax: 303-344-9905

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S

Last edited by jclark; 03-30-2006 at 02:18 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM

All my toys (Lawn Tractor, Motorcycle, and Alfa) are plugged in to a Battery Maintainer/Minder/Tender whenever they're parked. I use the BatteryTender, but many other such products exist--Never had a battery failure and the batteries last a lot longer!

And, as for a discharge, check that your auxilliary lighting turns off when it is supposed to. The hood, trunk, glove box, and foot area all have lights that can accidently remain on if the switch doesn't close properly. You may even opt to remove the bulbs if you don't find you don't need them.

Last edited by RedSpider; 03-31-2006 at 03:56 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Around here (Denver) Advance Auto Parts and Costco both stock Optima. I was at Costco the other day and they were ~$105.

C

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

<-- Jumps on the Optima redtop bandwagon.

Good bit of equitpment :up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpider
The hood, trunk, glove box, and foot area all have lights that can accidently remain on if the switch doesn't close properly.
Doors, yes, but IIRC the glovebox, under hood and trunk lights won't actually come un unless the parking lights are on too. (or mabe my S3 is just screwed up or different than an S4 :shrug: )

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 AM

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...hlight=odyssey

1975 Spider -- Long gone gateway drug
1983 Spider -- Dead: slowly parted-out on eBay
1974 Spider -- Sold, alas.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Ren

Garage
As Tifosi said, the lights in the boot (Trunk) bonnet (Hood) do not operate unless the sidelights are on. I always thought it was just my S4 so I kept quiet!!!! As for the glovebox....no light at all! Mine is a right hand conversion from European spec so they did not bother! I agree that the footwell lights can be knocked on and drain the battery. Been there and done it.
From the replies it looks like its got to be an OPTIMA.....Thanks
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 AM

And, now for too much information. I found some useful battery facts here.

Which Odssey best fits the Spdier?
Which Optima?

Last edited by RedSpider; 03-31-2006 at 10:05 AM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:22 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

To be honest, I just walked into one of the local parts stores that had Optimas on the shelf, pointed, and said 'gimme that one'. (Alfa batteries are pretty close to the 'common' size automotive battery to begin with)

There was no isue with it fitting, other than the little angle plate lip thing that holds the back edge of the factory battery.

The Optima has that lip too, but the ends of the angle plate were just a shade closer to being able to dig into the outermost cells on the '6 pack', so I got a little creative and ground them back to a slightly more battery freindly profile.

Regular clamps/mounts/cables and cover all fit without a hitch otherwise.

As to usability of one vs the other. Dunno.

I can say that I drive mine almost daily in the summer, and when winter came and the car came off the road, the battery went in the basement until 4 days ago (around 6 months with no trickle or anything. Just a battery on a wooden shelf) and needed absolutely no boost or charge, (I did a voltage test to see where it was at, because I was honestly curious), when I put it back in.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Did you buy the Yellow Top or Red Top?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Red top.

I don't have any kind of audio equiptment, (not even an ipod or a cup holder to put it in ) high intensity lighting nor even that girly neon underbody crap that would require any deep cycle/engine off usage.

Darren

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode