Windshield wiper motor - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Windshield wiper motor

My '87 Veloce's wiper motorhas got to be the slowest I've ever seen. The wipers look like they're struggling even on the down wipe. Does anyone else have this problem? Or does this make item 151 on the to-do list? I hope to god I don't get caught in the rain.

Thanks,

1987 Spider Veloce
2001 Audi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo w/ Quattro AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Yea, I got that problem too - originally thought it was a fuse, but I guess its just slow by nature

Regards

1987 Red Spider Veloce
counting down the days 'til I can do some body work...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 PM

i re-built mine....

cleaned the motor,re-greased the gears with red lith. grease......oh well slow, but re-built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Is the linkage adjusted so that it doesn't bind? (10mm bolt at left end IIRC)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Toptick
My wipers have 2 speeds-Slow & Slower. I cleaned & regreased the gears & linkage, but I now think it is more of an electrical problem than a mechanical problem. The mechanic who does the big jobs on the car tells me that I should put in a relay to relieve the strain on the column switch.
I guess I'd do it if I planned to drive in the rain....

Art Graham
'86 White Spider Graduate
'83 White Jeep CJ-7 Undergoing frame off restoration
'84 White Honda Spree
'99 Black BMW 323i--Wife's new best friend
'03 Blue BMW 325XIT--Mine
'03 Volvo X/C 70 Family spare
Building a new garage
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. I'll have to pull the motor and have a look at the internals.

Toptick, I don't plan on driving in the rain but I've learned from my Jeep Wrangler days, that sometimes it looks nice enough to have the top down and the next thing I know I'm on the side of the road putting the top up.

1987 Spider Veloce
2001 Audi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo w/ Quattro AWD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 AM

Where is the motor located? Behind my A/C parts under the passenger side dash?

I need to check mine out too as it doesn't work at all.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Under the cowl in front of the windsheild on the right side.

@Toptick:

My '85 Grad had intermitantly slow, brutally slow, and plain slow til I opened things up and tinkered the linkage a bit.

At one point I marked the position of the adjustable part of the left end and uncoupled it then turned on the motor (you need to hold the linkage up or it'll beat viciously against about everything in there **WATCH YER FINNERS!!**) and was really surprised at how quickly the drive arm could move on it's own.

The most tedious part is taking the cowl off then removing the duct then putting it back together with the duct removed so you can adjust as it has to be on the car and operational to tweak at it properly.

I has to spend about an hour making minute adjustments to the left end when putting it back together, but the net result was moderately faster movement overall when it was done. (we're not talking stupid fast here, but the slow speed is on par with any car out there slow speed and the fast is just a bit slower than what one would call 'normal fast' and the volt meter I have installed shows a slightly lesser drop in V when the intermitants kick indicating that it's taking less initial draw volts due to less mechanical resistance)

My best guess is that over time the linkage bends ever so slightly through general air resistance as the wipers are moving at highway speeds, (put you hand out the side when movign at speed, then imagine a wiper and arm doing this for a couple decades), somone just tugging at them when washing the car, (hey, that's where all the bugs die, right ), or even 'pedestrians' who can't resist touching things as they walk by in combination with with wear on the plastic pivot bushes over time causes things to get out of whack.

Another thing that helped ever so slightly was switching over to silicon wiper blades.

Again, none of this made them brutally fast, but the intermittant and slow pace of the wipers is definitely improved and almost match a modern car while the fast is noticably a bit quicker but slower than what one would expect on a modern car.

Last edited by Tifosi; 03-07-2006 at 08:31 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Geo4
Intermittent wiping problem

My problem is a little different. My wipers work fine at the slow and slower speeds , but when I use the intermittent setting, they move away from home smartly, but stall out on the way back. If they move from home and I return the stalk to the OFF position, they return as they should. In other words, the only movement problem is with the intermittent feature.

I'm guessing the problem may be in the relay for the intermittent wipers. Vick shows what I belive to be the correct part for about $40, which is a bit steep for a troubleshooting aid if the problem is something else. I cleaned the sensors on the relay, but no change.

I'm planning to disassemble and clean the motor and drive assembly, but there are other projects that have priority over intermittent wiping.

Any ideas on this one?

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Geo.
Monroe, GA
89 Spider Graduate
60 Triumph TR3
73 Triumph GT6 Mk3
03 Mazda MPV dog hauler
91 Nissan King Cab parts hauler[/FONT][/COLOR]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM

When I first got mine the wipers were like that. In my case: Ya know the spindles that come up thru the pan and the arms bolt to. Well the inner shaft that rotates was binding in the collared tube from rust and gunk that had collected over the yrs. I was able to take the arms off, pull the shroud pan and put a bunch of rags under the as'y and used Trizol (a HD castor oil based penetrating oil) on them. Everyday I soaked them and then the following day soaked 'em and started using the motor to work it in. After a couple days they were free and moving right along. Of course I soaked the other joints in the arms and had to fab a plastic bushing too. But the missing bushing had no effect. It's absence just made a little nise during the revolutions. Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode