Exhaust system ideas - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust system ideas

I have a 1973 spider with apparent stock exhaust system. The center muffler is making a rattling sound which I assume means it needs to be replaced. Any pearls of wisdoms on exhaust system replacement / upgrades?. I have a stock engine. Should I buy it from one of the alfa suppliers or is one from my local muffler shop ok. The performance mufflers (anza) just include the back piece and muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:02 PM

Garage
I think the AlfaBB parts shop is working with Magnaflow on an exhaust system for pre-1974 Spiders. Simon (aka smestas) would know more on this.

Steven Leth
'66 Giulia Super / '86 Spider Graduate
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:17 PM

MagnaFlow

The Magnaflow SS sytem was test fitted to my stock 74 Spider last month.
They are working on the production system as we speak.
I have pics of the system, but as it my not be indicative of the final item, I feel it would not be fair to post them at this stage.
It does look GOOD though!

Red 1974 Spider (Restoring!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 1974 Spider (Sold 12/2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Someone on the inside is always holding back good info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Whats up with the Alfabb. parts shop? I haven't seen it up. Is it under construction? Am I just not seeing it? I am interested in buying from this store and VERY interested in the exhaust. Please keep me posted on the exhaust. Not ready for it yet, so by time its ready I should be...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Who needs mufflers?

Here in SC we don't have any emissions regs, or any inspections for that matter.. so depending on where you live and how you feel about sound.. but I just had both my mufflers removed and it sounds GREAT without being obtrusive.

I started by eliminating the center muffler (replacing with straight pipe) and then took it for a drive..barely any difference. So then I did the same with the rear muffler and... Bingo! Just what I wanted

Best of all was I didn't have to pay for 2 new mufflers, only the cost of the muffler guy who cut and welded my new pipes in (to my otherwise stock exhaust system - 91 Spider) - $200.00 plus $40 for a new stainless exhaust tip (looks stock just maybe .5" larger).

Sound is very livable and quiet if you don't rev it much.. but if you do, the sound can't be beat and the torque increase is noticable. Bang for the buck is unbeatable.

91 Spider Veloce
87 Spider Veloce - in pieces
86 Spider Quadrifoglio - hooked me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode