$500 S4 Spider: Before and After - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Oh but wait...

Now, a lot of people passed this car up before me. Don't go thinking I stole it...Steve himself passed it up. There's also a rust spot beneath the passenger seat. None in the rockers as this is convertible water damage.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Location: Flagstaff, Northern California, and Grants Pass, OR (CAZOR)
Send a message via Yahoo to shoguneagle
:c lap:
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
It was meant to be gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocduff View Post
Now, a lot of people passed this car up before me. Don't go thinking I stole it...Steve himself passed it up. There's also a rust spot beneath the passenger seat. None in the rockers as this is convertible water damage.
Yea that $500 was Mike's asking price as he wanted it gone almost as much as his wife who just had a new baby weeks before the sale.

Their Construction Contractor drove his work truck into their driveway hours after towing company removed the car from his driveway to start playing House and Garden series project..

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 AM

Looks like a great project!! Yank the air horn compressor and it's wiring before it shorts out and burns something up.!

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 AM

Garage
I had those same wheels on my old 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R (great car). They look good, but are very heavy.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM

Rims

TSW is a big supplier of alloys. Don't know which model you have but I would say it is discontinued. They can be expensive too.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Yank the air horn compressor and it's wiring before it shorts out and burns something up.!
Nah, leave it. I have the same setup on my Quad and it's a huge improvement over the stock ones.

'67 Duetto (Rust In Peace), '87 Spider Quadrifoglio
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Add on air horn set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonyR View Post
Nah, leave it. I have the same setup on my Quad and it's a huge improvement over the stock ones.
I have one off my old Lancia Beta on my 164B but I just hooked original 164 factory horn wiring to air horn compressor so regular horn buttons on steering wheel operate the air horns. You just have to remember to oil compressor motor once in awhile.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

After several hours going through the air horn wiring, cleaning tubing and disassembling compressor I couldn't get it to work. It was definitely not installed very well and was probably 20 years old. It had a push button installed by the cigar lighter.

I yanked it. Was sorry to do so but if I want it Ill start from scratch and wire to the horn button wiring.

Also removed and old car alarm and all the jumble of associated wiring these non functional items had. Much simpler under the hood and dash. I would've liked that air horn.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

There are some good used ones on E-Bay.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM

500.00 is a great price I am still using parts from the 82 I bought in New Bern to complete my 79 and 85 it was a great crossover buy for the series. If I had seen it I would of been tempted but I am going older to get out of the injection world.

Joe
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Nice, glad the $500 gamble paid off. With a non-runner you never know, but looks like you found a good one. Spare tire repair is relatively easy as well, as far as bodywork goes.

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I lucked out that it ran - not so much in cost, but in time, which is precious these days. And Steve, I know what you mean about too many cars - I have four in the driveway/garage now.

I'll probably sell my other Spider - which is totally sorted. I find that I just enjoy fixing them up, and once they are totally done I just get bored. It's a sickness.

Question is for those who responded about the rims (thanks for that incidentally) - do they have any value (the 205 tires have well over 50% tread left and feel soft, no rot)? I ask because I might want to swap with my phonedials on the other Spider (which has fresh tires). Or sell the TSW's with tires to get some other Alfa wheels and fresh rubber, if it will cover that cost.

I'm working on a budget, so not sure what to do...these TSW rims do look cool though. It's about getting the most out of what I have - if putting them on the nicer Spider would increase or keep its resale value the same, I'd do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode