Some cowl/wiper questions - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 AM

Garage
Hey guys,

I'm having the same sort of problem - one of the jet washers (PS) was missing so I decided to tackle that problem to see what gives.
Turns out the chrome strip @ bottom of windshield was only heald by the 2 screws at the edges and was glued to the bottom windscreen rubber... (can't be good!)
On top of that it would seem the cowl is kinda riveted to the body in stead of secured with 4 screws... so no way of getting it off without breaking stuff.
I'll post pics later on so you guys can give me an insight in what to do...

Grtz

'87 QV silvergrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Garage
As promised the pics.
In one (third if I get my uploads right ) you'll see the missing washer nozzle..
Any insights are welcome on how to remove these "rivets"
I'd like to replace them with what was originally there in the first place. It'd be nice if someone could point me in the right direction. Pics would even be cooler ;-)
Attached Images

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM

the first 3 photos look like plastic retainers of sorts...put your finger under there to feel what is on the back.....if it is also flat then it is a rivet.....drill them out (the 4th photo is definitely a rivet)

they should be held on with screws and behind the screw is a sort of plastic nut, this is what mine has (anything would work to be honest, that fits the hole!)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1183167-post13.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 AM

Garage
Hey Dom,

i'll be sure to check that out - hopefully this evening..

Regards,

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 AM

Garage
Hey Dom,

I was able to drill out the 4 rivets. The 3 plastic-looking ones were in fact also metal ones, albeit different from the 4th silver one.
Cowl came off after that, area underneath relatively okay. will need 2 new jet washers though :-)
But the biggest problem is as I feared: all metal clips to support the cowl/chrome strip are completely rotted away :-(
So how do I go about replacing those ??..

Regards,

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishBob View Post
But the biggest problem is as I feared: all metal clips to support the cowl/chrome strip are completely rotted away :-(
So how do I go about replacing those ??..
for that I am afraid there is no easy fix, the screen has to come out, as those clips (7 of them in all?) fit under the screen seal

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Stefan,

The repair/rework of this area can lead you down a slippery slope. You will need to decide how far you want to explore.

The 7 clips referred to provide support for the back edge of the cowl piece and maintain alignment with the bottom of the windscreen trim. The front pop rivets you removed secure the front edge of the piece. On my car the front edge was secured with sheet metal screws and spring nuts on the back side of the body lip. Without the 7 clips, there is no way to hold the back edge of the cowl straight. I would be concerned about reinstalling without putting the clips back in place. I would be a little bit concerned about this area since the clips have completely rusted away. Makes you wonder what else has rusted that you cannot see.

I have enclosed a couple of photos of the conditions I found on the Spiders I have been working on.

The next step as Series4 said, is to remove the windscreen. That involves removing the chrome trim on the front and sides and the plastic trim on the inside plus the rear view mirror. Then the wind screen must come out along with the rubber perimeter gasket. Once everything is out, you can determine the extent of the repairs required.

Are you located near any AlfaBB members that could assist you with this?

I found some disturbing conditions under one of my cars that will need extensive repairs. I was very glad that I explored this area. On my 74, the area was beginning to rust and I was able to clean it up and coat it with several applications of epoxy primer.

There are some techniques that will make the removal and install of the windscreen easier. Let us know if you decide to do a little exploration.

76 starting to show some signs of rust.
Name:  76 Pass Windshield BB.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  187.9 KB

74 that looked similar to the 76 above, cleaned and primed
Name:  74 Pass Windshield BB.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  43.7 KB

80 that has rusted through on passenger side. This will require new sheet metal to be cut, fit and welded in place.
Name:  80 Pass Windshield BB.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  156.8 KB

80 drivers side will require extensive repair to strengthen the windscreen frame and deal with the rusted fender area.
Name:  80 Driver Windshield BB.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  195.3 KB

Cowl area of the 74 before starting work on it.
Name:  74 Cowl Wiper 1.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  38.1 KB

I hope this helps.

Gary
74 Spider - Completed; Tuning Weber's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Garage
Hey Dom/Gary,

Thanks both for your input.
I feel I've opened Pandora's box but this is the way it's gotta be - if there's a rust problem i want to know about it and get it fixed.
It so happens the car is going in for underside rust repairs beginning of september. Should it need any repairs around the windscreen area I can include those.
Windscreen and rubber gasket holding it in place seem in pretty good shape.. so I'm kinda hopeful it's just the 7 clips.. :-s

As a little background: I've owned the car for 4 years but hardly drove it. It always sat in a garage. This year I decided to finally make it "a project". Having the proverbial two left hands doesn't make it easy but hard is not impossible. The knowledge available via this forum is tremendous and helps out a lot. Thumbs up for that!
The plan is to get her sorted out - not showroomcondition but driveable and reliable enough to take her on trips.
Btw, I live in Belgium, don't know of any AlfaBB memebers in my neighbourhood...

Cheers for now

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Stefan,
You are doing this correctly, Bravo!

Removal of the windscreen is not difficult if you proceed slowly.
Once all the trim is removed, start at the top corner of the drivers side and gently peel back the portion of the rubber gasket that overlaps on the cabin side of the frame. Work it down the vertical side and across the top bar. Once you get it started, it normally goes easily after that. Do not pry with anything as you risk cracking the glass.

Once the side and at least 1/2 of the top gasket is off the flange, push the windscreen out from the inside starting on the top. A gentle bump with the heel of your hand at the top edge is all it should take. Go slowly.

Ypu are approaching this task correctly. Jeep us posted on your progress.

Gary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM

the one thing that might confuse you in the screen removal process, is removing the rear-view mirror....this is held on with a ball joint of sorts inside the base where it meets the top of the inner windscreen.....you need to push the mirror down and towards the screen (preferably by the stem, as the actual mirror part is fragile) and it should "snap" off the base plate(as in come off!)...........all a bit scarey for your first time because you think you are going to bust the thing in half, but that is the way it goes!....then you can get to the screws holding the baseplate to the top frame....to remove the inside screen top trim....etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by spiderserie4; 08-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
the one thing that might confuse you in the screen removal process, is removing the rear-view mirror....this is held on with a ball joint of sorts inside the base where it meets the top of the inner windscreen.....you need to push the mirror down and towards the screen (preferably by the stem, as the actual mirror part is fragile) and it should "snap" off the base plate(as in come off!)...........all a bit scarey for your first time because you think you are going to bust the thing in half, but that is the way it goes!....then you can get to the screws holding the baseplate to the top frame....to remove the inside screen top trim....etc.
I agree!
Mine was stubborn and I was afraid. I applied a liberal dose of WD40 to the joint area, worked the mirror back and forth a bit and then gently but firmly smacked it with the palm of my hand, down and forwards. It popped right off.

Gary
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 AM

Garage
Hey guys,

Thanks again for your input - I've had no time to work on her this weekend unfortunately but I'll keep you posted on my progress anyway!

Grtz for now

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 AM

Garage
Hey guys,

I removed all the windshield trim yesterday. Inside and outside. Windshield itself is still in place as I started late in the evening.
Anyway - unfortunaty I found some corrosion needing attention - will post pics later on.

Regards

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Corrosion Removal tool

Stefan,

The attached photo shows the hand drill and fiber cup attachment I used to strip corrosion from my car. These work so much better than wire wheels. They can be found here in the US at hardware stores. They are called Abrasive Nylon wheel brushes and come in various shapes and sizes.

I found that this type of fiber brush in a hand drill really worked well to remove corrosion and prepares the surface for final cleaning and painting. After discovering these, I seldom use wire wheels any more.
Name:  EB Stripped 2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  62.1 KB

Gary
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Garage
Hey guys,

thanks again for your input - the removal of the rear view mirror was easier than I thought - by using the described technique and application of deblock-oil.. :-)
Tis is what I found in the mean time - the most worrysome being the hole on the top of the windscreen frame. The top chrome strip is held in place by 4 screws. Mine was held by 3 screws - the hole of the 4th screw has enlarged through corrosion. Will the rest of the corrosion be 'ok' if I tackle it with sandpaper and some rusteater-product ?
The plan is to go for a complete respray in 5/10y time so for now rapairs will do - though they have to be good ones and the car needs to be mechanically sound and not rotting away underneath me.. ;-)
Attached Images

- Stefan -
'87 QV Silvergrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode