Solex carbs - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool Solex carbs

Does anyone have any experience with Solex carbs on an Alfa Spider. I am tired of this SPICA and am wondering what sort of performance I would get. Webers are just too expensive. Especially for the son's car.

Need some comments here - we have finally got the alfa to a point where we either replace the SPICA or go with carbs. He is tired of working on the Alfa. Now he has an opportunity to get a 71 Ford Mustang Grande in pretty good shape. His comments are that the Alfa will keep him out of pocket just trying to keep it maintained - foriegn cars, parts expensive etc. American car - more parts easily accessible. IF he gets the Ford, then the Alfa has to go. Comments and thoughts appreciated

Gerry McGahan
77 Spider
Cypress, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Buy the webers, disown the son
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 02:55 PM

I have webers on my '87, and fortunately a mechanic with a '67 with basically the same set up. I have had to rejet them twice, but I think the second time was the charm. I bought mine with the webers, I can't comment on the Solex's, but the webers do make a great sound and others have told me they certainly have some giddy-up (that's texan speak isn't it?). Keep the alfa, he can add a mustang to the stable anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:05 PM

Webers on an 87?? wow- what happened to the Bosch?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 PM

I run solexs on one of the Berlinas - they seem to work just fine but are not quite as well engineered as the webbers (IMHO). The spindles run in plain bushes rather than bearings and I've had to have delrin bushes made to replace the originals which wear, leak air and make tuning impossible - similar to leaky carb mounting rubbers. Other than that they have been fine.

Simon

101 Spider, 105 Berlina (x2), 156 2.5 V6, Fiat 125, Mini 1000
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:36 AM

Solex carbs are ok but getting repair parts and or getting them repaired can be a issue. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode