Drip drip drip drip - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Drip drip drip drip

I see clutch/brake fluid coming from the front center of my car. I needed to fill the brake reser. too a bit. Is it a master of slave clutch under the car in center? 1990 QUAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jloprete View Post
I see clutch/brake fluid coming from the front center of my car. I needed to fill the brake reser. too a bit. Is it a master of slave clutch under the car in center? 1990 QUAD
Clutch master cylinder is directly below the reservoir at the top of the engine bay on driver side. Slave cylinder is at the bottom, where the engine mates to the gearbox bell housing (on the right side). The master is connected to the slave via a hard metal line from the master, which is connected to a rubber hose about dead center on the crossmember, the rubber hose continuing the rest of the way to the slave cylinder. If your leak is directly in the center, the hose might be leaking, or possibly, the slave is leaking but the fluid is traveling down the outside of the hose before dripping. Either way, I wouldn't characterize it as the "front" of the car.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok, it has to be the slave. It's not the master, as that seems dry. Is the slave a difficult part to replace? Does the entire system have to be bled? Any good links on how to replace,it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Ok, it has to be the slave. It's not the master, as that seems dry. Is the slave a difficult part to replace? Does the entire system have to be bled? Any good links on how to replace,it?
Replacement of the slave cylinder is fairly straightforward, but there can be some problems. And yes, you will need to bleed the clutch when you are done.

When I replaced mine, the first problem I encountered was that I could not get the flare nut that connects the hard line to the rubber hose to come loose. This was a huge PIA, because I ended up having to cut the metal line and fabricate a new one. And that was a problem because you cannot buy one that has the correct flare nuts pre-installed. I ended up buying a new line of correct diameter, cutting it, putting the old flare nuts on the new line, and then using a flaring tool borrowed from Autozone to make the correct double flares needed for the connection to the rubber hose.

Removing the slave cylinder can also be a bit of a pain because it is held in place by two snap rings. You will need to have a pair of snap-ring pliers to remove the rings. And then it still takes a lot of patience. Below is a link to a discussion about removing the snap rings.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...-cylinder.html

If you do a search, you will find several threads debating various ways to do the bleeding. I purchased a $30 brake bleeder from Harbor Freight that works very well (allows for one-person operation). HF part no. 92924.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 07-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

rich, can you provide the bleeder model or a good link to HF that you bought? The link is not working. Thank you. Jeff
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
rich, can you provide the bleeder model or a good link to HF that you bought? The link is not working. Thank you. Jeff
I can't get the link to work. Go to the Harbor Freight website and look up Part No. 92924

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

What is a good Clutch Slave cylinder to buy? IAP is the natural choice and good price but what about quality? What about these on Ebay? Can anyone recommend a slave cylinder? Thank you. Jeff
Attached Images

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

K thanks Rich
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking this is the tool for the bleeding the clutch. Is this a good product from HF?
Attached Images

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
If you have any docter/nurse/veterinarian friends ask them to get you a 60 ml catheter tip syringe. Add short length of clear vinyl tubing (~ 12" is plenty). Fill the syringe with brake fluid, attach the tubing to the bleed screw and crack it open. Use the syringe to push fluid up to the master (make sure the reservoir is not too full and that it does not overflow - brake fluid removes paint).

This 'reverse' bleeding method has the advantage of pushing the air up - the direction it will naturally want to go. Pedal bleeding (or vacuum bleeding) means you will be trying to suck air downwards.

Note that the slave can be rotated in the ring attached to the bell housing. Make sure the bleeder is uppermost ("12 O'clock") so that air in the slave will be fully expelled. It may not stay in that position due to the flex hose. Once bled it doesn't matter - just during the bleeding operation.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Geez Eric, I have plenty of those and never thought to use them for bleeding-- great idea!!

I prefer to bleed from the bottom up on several applications.

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don't know how S3/S4 secondary cylinders compare, but in addition to snap ring issues, you may find the cylinder to be frozen in place, as in my S3 :-(. Added about 2 hours to my replacement exercise. Wish I could recall the removal procedure that worked but thinking it involved lots of penetrating fluid and bad words...believe the bad words finally prevailed.

Also, if your secondary cylinder (aka, slave...don't ask) is shot, it is not uncommon for the primary to fail shortly after secondary replacement, perhaps because of higher pressure in the new unit.

Don't want to make this harder than it needs to be, but I have just replaced the cylinders as a pair.

Best wishes.

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Forgot to add, let's support our faithful advertisers!

'Nuff said.

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Papa jam, I got the new master clutch cylinder, do I need to bleed the slave cylinder when done. Whatca doing Sat? Lol
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Yes, the system should be bled. Not only make sure that there's no air in the system but to replace the old fluid with new.

I've a plumbing job at a friends early AM so after that should be fine. Chat tonight?

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode