Barum Bravuris 2 tires - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Barum Bravuris 2 tires

Anyone have first hand experience with these tires on a Spider.
Apparently Barum is a branch of Continental based in the Czech Republic.
The tires are very attractively priced (unless a misprint at $73 for 205/50/16) and with good reviews (mostly from European sites). Most other tires in this size start around $110 for off brands and big name brands $140).
Despite good reviews, still skeptical about price. But I was also skeptical about Falken Ziex ZE-912 tires at $95 tires that I had about 3-4 years ago as summer tires on a Honda that were great.
Attached Images

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Yes, I have them on my 89 grad which I use as a daily driver. They are great tires for the price, I think mine were about $40 a piece when I got them about 2 years ago. I have about 30k miles on them now, they can probably go another 10-15k before i need to replace them.
It really depends on your budget, if I had the extra $$ I would go for pirellis, but if you're on a tight budget, those tires are great.
Heres a pic of my car with the new tires when I first got them.
Attached Images

89 spider grad
76 alfetta GT long gone
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Garage
I have them on one of my Milanos. No problems. I'd buy them again.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior TEXAS member

Put them on my Spider about 7 years ago and loved them. They lasted about 20k miles, but that included many AutoX's and much "spirited" driving.

Get out there and [B][SIZE="4"]DRIVE ![/SIZE][/B]

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM

mcola.. if you are running 16" wheels as i am..buy a set of general g-max as-03 tires..i have them on my car for 6 months now,(205/50/16) they are great tires, easy to recover when you over cook a corner..or something, easy to drive hard on them, they will not suprise you, great traction in the wet..and they feel great at 32 psi at all corners.
Attached Images

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM

,,did i mention..i LOVE these tires?.... oh i did

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bianchi1, I have checked those out, and like the fact that somebody with a Spider can comment on them. Its good to hear you are happy with them. I was actually considering the previous model (UHP's). You guys in the US are lucky that you pay $100 for the same time we get charge $150 + all the Enviro, balancing, taxes. I'm just trying to consider any other cheaper options that are worth considering. So far the responses on the Barum's is looking good. That said, no guarantee I will buy them.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I cannot find these Barum tires sold online. Where did you buy them?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I cannot find these Barum tires sold online. Where did you buy them?
These were sold through Discount Tire when I bought mine. $250.00 installed & balanced with the hazard warranty.
They were pretty good tires for the price but when I went to replace them after a couple of years they didn't have them. Don't know if they still do. I went with Falken Azenis and am looking at replacing those with Pirelli or the Generals mentioned.

Get out there and [B][SIZE="4"]DRIVE ![/SIZE][/B]

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM

a quick search with discounttire.com searching in SC for a 195/60R15 had them listed - depends how up-to-date these sites are kept!

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I never bhought them, but wondering if they are worth considering because the price is so good, and considering they are not made in China and have pretty good reviews. I'm sure you are all aware that some big name brands make crappy tires, mostly OEM tires like (Goodyear RSA, Michelin MXM4, Continental ContiContactPro). I found these listed on a Kijiji ad (like craigslist) for a store in Toronto. I did an internet search and they come up on European sites, but as spiderserie4 mentioned Discount Tire lists them. My understanding is the "2" is the more recent version of the Bravuris model. Again, just soliciting feedback from anyone with experience with them or other Barum models. Thanks.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM

FYI:
over here the ADAC (automobile club of germany, very respected) does a tire test and they came out "befriedigend" (= satisfactory) - scored not so good in the wet. Some BMW forums (obviously using the wider profile versions than what we need) say they wear down too quick. But that is probably on a BMW
But otherwise in the serious tire tests here in Germany, they came out overall as "satisfactory"

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
I bought two Barums for my front wheels 2 years ago. They have performed to my satisfaction. Their wet road reviews was a deciding factor for me and I haven't been disappointed. When my rear tires are going to be changed I buy two more.
Erik
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM

mcola? a short drive across the border?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bianchi, yes a short trip over the border as I'm only 30 minutes from Buffalo. However I am "known" at the border and get stopped and inspected (long story). Having said that, I would need to declare them, and pay duties and taxes, so there isn't much savings left. Then if I have a warranty issue, its back across the border, etc. Otherwise a good idea which I've done before (hence the long story).

Also, how is the noise level of the your tires. They have an agressive tread which at times tend to be noisey.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio

Last edited by mcola; 02-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode