#10 Fuse Help 89 quad - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

#10 Fuse Help 89 quad

Hello everyone, having a little trouble with the #10 fuse (7.5 amp). Every time I turn on the head lights the fuse blows but the head lights stay on. The dash lights and speedo lights do not. Also when this happens the rear passenger side tail light goes out aswell. Any idea where i should start my search? Obvious would be the fuse box, I already checked that and everything seems to be intact. Could it be the light switch from the steering colum thats shorting out or a ground wire from the tail lights? Any ideas or thoughts would help out alot. Is this a common problem for alfa's?

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM

According the the electrical schematic for my 86, fuse 10 supplies power to the Left Front/Right Rear parking and side marker lights, the trunk light, and the Light Dimmer. When fuse 10 blows you should lose the previously mentioned parking and side marker lights, the trunk light, and everything under rheostat control.

Logically it should be a problem in one of those circuits or that portion of the switch but I don't think it would be the switch as there is no ground connection in there.

Try turning on just the parking lights, does the fuse blow?

unplug/disconnect the LF/RR & trunk lights, replace the fuse and try again. If you have a 12v test light that you can connect in place of the fuse it will save a few fuses. The light will illuminate when a circuit is complete and go out when the circuit is open. This will require getting to the rear of the dimmer and unplugging it to eliminate everything under rheostat control.

with everything disconnected if the test lamp is illuminated then there is a wiring problem or something on that circuit is still connected. If the lamp is out plug things in one by one. A short will make the test lamp brightest otherwise it is in series with the other lamp(s) and should be dimmer than normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode