S3 Rear Bumper End Cap Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

S3 Rear Bumper End Cap Removal

Today I finally got around to removing the rear bumper not only to weigh it, but also to remove the wrap around end caps, which I think are ugly.

With a ratcheting 10 mm crescent wrench I removed the four bolts attaching the passenger's side bumper to bumper shocks. It's a tight fit in there, which meant a normal socket wouldn't fit, so making little 1/4 inch movements I was finally able to remove the bolts.

This is probably not the "correct" way, so on the driver's side, I removed the side end cap first, which is held on by one 8 mm bolt and nut on the bottom side, and three Phillips head self tapping screws on the inside. It took several different length Phillips screw drivers, a socket Phillips head, a universal joint, and 10 inch extension to remove the various screws. Once the side end cap was off (just move forward and they pop off once all screws and bolts are removed), I was able to get to the four 10 mm nuts holding the bumper to the shocks with my ratcheting crescent wrench.

The next step was to remove the passenger's side shock absorber unit. These are held on also by 10 mm bolts. Once all bolts were removed, the shock pulls out, exposing the sheet metal tube housing, loaded with New Mexico dirt and sand, but no corrosion.

Since I started late in the day, I then put the bumper on sans end caps, and called it a day. The next step will be to remove the plastic bumper bar cover, cut down the underlying aluminum crash bar, leaving the stock aluminum mount, have a friend fabricate for me aluminum mounting plates in place of the bumper shocks, and remount the now lighter "bumper", pushing it closer to the rear panel. The bumper can be pushed in about 3 inches or so.

After the "bumper" is in the position that I like, I then will cut down the side end caps to stop at the black spoiler end and reattach it to the bumper. Later on down the line will be filling in the side quarter panel holes.

The total bumper weight with shocks is 25 pounds give or take a few ounces.

The photos show the rear with bumper removed, inside of the bumper, detail of the stock mounting (I will cut the aluminum just inside of the four bolt mounting plate), and detail of side quarter panel mounting screw.
Attached Images

1983 Spider Veloce, 1987 Milano Platinum (sold), 1974 Spider Veloce (sold), 1973 Ford Ranchero, Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Additional of S3 Rear Bumper w/o End Cap.

Here are some photos of the rear bumper installed w/o end caps, and detail photos of the bumper cross section.

The cross section shows exposed plastic bumper cover, foam, the aluminum crash bar, the bumper mounting plate, and the bumper shock absorber.

I might have to bend down the tie down loop when I pull the bumper closer in to the body work.
Attached Images

1983 Spider Veloce, 1987 Milano Platinum (sold), 1974 Spider Veloce (sold), 1973 Ford Ranchero, Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflow View Post
remove the wrap around end caps, which I think are ugly.
Going for something like this, or something different?

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes, plus a lighter rear bumper.

Front bumper will be a bit more difficult but basically the same. Remove bumper and plastic cover, cut down underlying aluminum crash bar leaving end mounting plates and enough metal to secure the Hella 500 fog lights. The bumper will then be pushed in like in back. This will probably cause some issues with the front side marker lights, so they might have to be relocated to the spoiler sides.

I am also debating whether to fill in the side panels, as in S2s so the bumper will be like a chunkier S2 bumper. The center black plastic "buck tooth" will be removed and replaced with a chrome Alfa shield. I bought a used Alfette shield, but might go ahead and spring for the correct S2 shield. The cutout for the plastic buck tooth will more than likely have to be filled, inner bumper ends will have to be supported, as will the Alfa shield.

Here's a mock-up of what it should look like with an Alfa Alfetta shield. The spoiler and waviness in the bumper will be fixed at the same time.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Going for something like this, or something different?
Who makes these wheels?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Off the top of my head, I 'think' they are a SerpentAutoSports product.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM

I am doing the same project but my end caps will still end at the wheel well.
with the bumper shocks compressed I am in 2-3/8 inch. bumper will be finished silver like stock.the look will be euro stock.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM

My S3 bumper nip and tuck.

The Bumper mod. is going well, please ignore the scratches on the bumper it will be stripped and redone.
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

So you slightly sectioned the wrap-around side extensions. How are you going to fill the seam?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 PM

S3 Bumper Nip tuck

2 part epoxy on back side and under silver "top trim"
to fill the seam I am using a filler with a flex agent that you use to repair bumper covers.
I drilled and compressed the bumper shock. I will not have the weight reduction you will.
Attached Images

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE 309 View Post
I drilled and compressed the bumper shock. I will not have the weight reduction you will.
how did you drill these? like drill anywhere and drain the fluid inside or?

thanks,
viking

1983 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 105 S3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode