chain length - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

chain length

Does anyone know the length of the top timing chain on a 2000 and how many links including the master?

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM

I believe that the 2000 top chain has 112 links, including the union link. Can't tell you the precise length, might be difficult to measure anyway.

As for the rest, 1300 engines have a top chain with 106 links including the master, and the 1600 engines have 110 links including the master. I ought to know about the 1750 chain but I don't. Could be the same as the 2000.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I believe that the 2000 top chain has 112 links, including the union link. Can't tell you the precise length, might be difficult to measure anyway.
C to C on a known good pair of roller pins or new master link pins, then multiply by # of links to get total length from the center of the empty hole in the 1st link to the center of the last links empty hole.

Then lay out that result on a flat board and put a headless nail/pin of the same diameter as the chain rivets at each end of the measured distance.
(ideally a flatstock steel would be used with welded/threaded/pressed pins, but as a once in a lifetime use jig, a flat/true board will suffice)
The holes in the endlinks of the chain should drop onto the nails without the need for pulling/stretching (chain too short) or having bends/curves in the run (chain too long)

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 01-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/33p3b7k20k...21968.jpg?dl=0

Here are the three chains, 2000/1750 on left. I count 111 links, 109 links for the 1600 chain in the middle, and 107 for the 1300 chain on the right. Only the 1300 is a new chain, and worth measuring.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM

111/109/107 links is not correct.

Alex is right with 112/110/106 links; REGINA and IWIS catalogs confirm that, too.

2.0 TS engines require something different as I remember Nord/112 link chain being too long. You need a special TS chain w/108 links from my memory. Or shorten a 1600 chain.

Last edited by hunttheshunt; 05-31-2016 at 11:26 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972GTV View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33p3b7k20k...21968.jpg?dl=0

Here are the three chains......only the 1300 is a new chain, and worth measuring.
actually an interesting photo.
Notice the equal tight gap between any 2 links of the new chain and the larger gaps between the links of the old chains on the left.

I presume that is chain stretch/wear from years of use......

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode