Adventures in Transmission Rebuilding or Transmissions for Dummies!! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Spent and hour in the Garage tonight doing some clean up and decided to pull the dog gear off. The pics while using the press came out poorly so I will have to take them again next time I pull some gears off.

These are BIG pliers!!! I don't usually buy tools from HF but for something like this, how can you beat 15 bucks for the set.

Squeeze HARD!!

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

How did you grab the dog gear to support it while pushing it off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM

What I've done is put the snap ring back on and put the press plates under it. Choose a thickness that fits or use a tapered bearing puller plate. For the dogs where the gear is smaller than the dog, you can put the plate under the dog teeth and press in the center.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Thanks Robert. The support here seems critical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Gordon, Here is a pic of the bearing puller on the press. Another HF special! The bolts hold it tight so that it can't slip apart under load.

This was 4th gear dogs which is quite a bit bigger than the gear that it's mounted to. 4th isn't actually a gear at all. The dogs just join the input and output shaft directly; 1:1 ratio. The gear on there just turns the lay shaft and there is some reduction there. I'll have to count the teeth to figure it out.

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Any new updates?
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

There will be this weekend. Been cold and distracted by my GTV project....

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM

Bump, Hope to see updates to this thread - very interesting stuff.
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Great thread! Back at the beginning I see that the steel ring came off with the bell housing instead of remaining in the gear case. All the ones I've ever done that ring stays in the case. Not that it make any difference just wondering. I still have half a five gallon can of Dentax from the non moly Giulietta days. I was amazed at the difference the Dentax made vs Spirax in shifting a non moly box. A great winter project for someone would be to take great threads like this and put them all together in one DVD, don't look at me

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Jon,

Great thread. I am sure that I will use it in the future when I am crazy enough to try and rebuild my transmission. For now, thankfully, I dont have any issues and hope that day is far, far away.

I did however use your thread to re-seal my transmission as the seams were leaking.

It is a great step by step even for just a re seal, but I did get stuck at one point trying to get the transmission end off.

Tonight I see that another BB member had the exact same issue and feel a bit guilty I didnt post for others and save them some aggrevation.

So to clear my conscious and hopefully help future users, here are a few steps that I hope will help.

Remove the rubber washer and 2 sliding plates.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  49.1 KB

Pull up on this plate. Its in there pretty tight as its a press fit, but nothing else is holding onto it, so pull up and remove.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  43.0 KB

Remove this final ring by pulling it up and out. It is keyed so you will be able to put it back correctly.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  33.6 KB

Note the washers on the sides of the shifter. The driver side has a thick washer and the passenger side has a thin washer plus a wave washer. They have to be re installed the same way.
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  53.4 KB

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.

Last edited by Vintre; 03-14-2012 at 05:55 PM.
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Remove the side breathers, 10mm bolts. The breathers have very thin shims on each side and could be different number of shims on each side. Mine had 2 on one side and 3 on the other. Its important to reassemble the same way as Alfa used this shims to center the shifter.
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  71.8 KB

Breathers removed.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  55.8 KB

Now you can pull the shifter up and out.
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  61.0 KB

This shows the gears in neutral when the forks are lined up to make a square. This makes it easy to remove and re install the shifter. With the shifter removed, the end easily (of course after a few taps to break the seals) slides back and off and will be the opposite to re install.
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  55.6 KB

Again thanks to jon for the thread and I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks Vintre...

-Hutbed
'84 Spider Veloce (Allegra); Mercedes: '67 250S, '84 190D, '95 C280; '00 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Excellent addition Vince.

This job has been shelved with all the work going here ressurecting the GTV. I will get back to it tho. The spider will come out of winter hibernation and the GTV will come off of the lift. Then the Spider trans gets the 2nd gear syncro fixed

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=jcslocum;939436]These are BIG pliers!!! I don't usually buy tools from HF but for something like this, how can you beat 15 bucks for the set.

Guys, don't buy these crappy Harbor Freight pliers!! They are junk. I just wasted $15. I was able to get one snap ring off before they broke. I then grabbed a set of MAC tools, and the MAC pliers are strong and reliable.

I am in the midst of pulling my trannies (I have a spare) completely apart and rebuilding with the best pieces from both!

- Jason Hagen, Kansas City, KS, Owner of Royal Autowerks, LLC
'95 164Q, '91 164S, '73 Spider, '74 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, '06 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trygve11 View Post
Guys, don't buy these crappy Harbor Freight pliers!! They are junk. I just wasted $15. I was able to get one snap ring off before they broke. I then grabbed a set of MAC tools, and the MAC pliers are strong and reliable.
I am in the midst of pulling my trannies (I have a spare) completely apart and rebuilding with the best pieces from both!
Yes I agree. I too have had pliers break on first use. If you're in need of these cheapo China made tools...they're may be fine for a one time use....because they're throw away generally. These tools are all made from cheap low grade low strength steels. Up here Princess Auto sells this cheap stuff but at least they have a 100% money back guarantee (at least they used to)....so I was able to return these even after they broke. Doesn't Harbor Freight have a similar policy?

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode