Starting problem - 86 Spider Veloce 2.0 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

2nd relay to operate pumps:
That's kinda what papajam and ghnl are saying regarding the large tachymetric relay that controls the pumps.

In the tachy relay the 'normal use' set of contacts takes the pulse signal from the coil and using internal contacts that float like ignition points activates the pumps while the engine is running. As long as the engine is running the tach pluse is generated by the coil, so the pumps continue to function.

There is another service wire on the that same relay, though connected to a different terminal than the coil pulse signal, so instead of relying on the coil pulse to trigger the internal points, there's more or less a direct steady state conventional relay activation trigger built into it also and that relay internal circut is activated by the ignition switch when turned to the start position.
No coil pulse, ignition switch in start position, pumps run.

Part of the reason there's way many more wires and terminals on that particular relay is that it does more than just one trick.
(also why it's like $100 to replace instead of $10~$12 like all the other relays)

Pure speculation mode:
Without hacking one open to confirm, at least in theory I'd even hazard that there'd be redundancy built into the tachy relay that allows the pulse signal from the coil to cycle the pumps in bursts as the engine is cranked and the ignition fires while trying to start.
Granted it wouldn't be as effective at getting the pressure up in a hurry like the start circut arrangement does, but it could certainly get it into an adiquate pressure range to in just a few pulses and should allow the pumps to operate while cranking if the ignition switch signal were faulty.

Voltmeter:
Yes, I meant in dash type instrument.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 10-09-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojwl View Post
I absolutely know my way around... electronics, relays, blah, blah,blah...
Then please expound on the Smoke Theory of automotive electronics.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I guess I haven't quite "seen it all".

As a point of interest I have a 1988 Honda CRX (with transplant Acura engine), 1982 Porsche 911SC, and the 86 Alfa. All are in super condition and I do 90% of work on them. There are certain three different sets of philosophies between the nationalities. I've only had the Alfa for nine months and it has been nothing short of interesting t-shooting issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Smile Pics

My "children".
Attached Images

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

In case I want to go very fast

2002 Yamaha VMax
Attached Images

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:53 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
You need a bigger garage!
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

'bigger garage'...you suck!

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Very cool...
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
'bigger garage'...you suck!
And my wife says, 'you should have made it bigger'. (yes, she has sisters but they are nothing like her...)

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
(yes, she has sisters but they are nothing like her...)
I know what you mean.
My wife's sister is fat too.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
My wife's sister is fat too.
No, not that. They're all good lookers but the attitude is different.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM

does anyone have an owners manual for an early 1986 alfa 2000 spider veloce with cluster wiring diagram?

Last edited by dragn78; 04-22-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: letter missing
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragn78 View Post
does anyone have an owners manual for an early 1986 alfa 2000 spider veloce with cluster wiring diagram?
Contact BB member Papajam. He makes color coded wire diagrams for many Alfa models. He is also the librarian for the AROC-USA and can help you get owner's & shop manuals.

There is also Car Disc. But the Alfa wire diagrams are too cryptic to decipher. Get Papajam's versions.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM

Really great technical discussions by a bunch of true Alfisti (sic) but before you go off reinventing the wheel let me offer of a little common basics. In the space behind the passengers seat where all the Bosch goodies are, there is a small black relay and a gang of black ground wires attached to the sheet metal for a common ground. Disconnect all the ganged ground wires, wire brush the sheet metal at the bolt hole and steel wool the ground wire lugs. Then reconnect it all back with some dialectric grease and a shinny new bolt and elastistop nut. This stands a very good chance of resolving the issue. If not, try replacing that small black relay. I have had amazing good results from ensuring really good grounds in Alfas in the Bosch storage area and with the tail lights renewing the grounds in the trunk.

Robert
Currenlty 1988 Alfa red Quad
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM

Just traded a 73 Datsun 240z for a 1986 Alfa spider veloce. My wife's 40th anniversary present. We had one years ago and always missed it when we sold it. Anyway, trying to sort a few issues. I have no horn, windshield wiper motor is not functioning on car but test and works.
Do you have an electrical schematic to share?

I also seem to have an oil leak that is hitting the exhaust and of course making smoke and bad smell.

Thanks for your help!!

KWsAlfa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode