Starting problem - 86 Spider Veloce 2.0 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

And you get greasy working with wiring how?

OK, mabe around the starter or if the alternator is grubby, but otherwise methinks you might wanna organize your project schedual a bit differently

On a sorta not related but electrical relevant note:
Anyone have a clue how to recalibrate an Autometer voltage meter?
I thought my charging system was going wonky over the past few days, but it turns out the gauge has started reading about 1 1/2~1 3/4 volts lower than actual charging system output.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Is this the spec we seek?

Flow at inlet end of rail with zero pressure applied: 1.5~2 liters per minute / .33~.44 gallons per minute

Or is that 'zero pressure' anticipated flow w/zero manifold pressure at/on the regulator?
(implying the regulator has an inherant bleed by regardless)
This is the fuel pump volume (flow rate, quantity, etc) spec with the hose disconnected (zero pressure) from the fuel rail. There is no pressure without resistance.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Yeah, that would make a great deal more sense wouldn't it.

I'm still digging around for some numbers/specs.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

To Papajam

I was told on another thread that you had access to electrical schematics for Spiders that included wire colors. It would be of great assistance in t-shooting my 86 Veloce.

thx
Warren
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

You were told correctly.

Please send me you email in a private message and I'll send you the diagrams.

Jim

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance but exactly how do I do this sir.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Actually it was pretty easy to do. I have sent email.

thx again
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
When you get that email prepare to be amazed!

BTW, PapaJam does not charge anything for all the work he's done with those wire diagrams. If I may offer a suggestion; becoming a subscriber will toss a few bucks towards keeping the AlfaBB alive (note: the money doesn't go to PapaJam).

Link to subscription info

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Smile Question for gnhl

In your post you say that, when the key is in start position, it bypasses the drive relay and starts pumps. Are you sure about this? The pumps get their power through larger gauge wires due to amperage draw of pumps. I can only see the start input energizing the drive relay's coil thus closing contacts and energizing pumps.
Therefore I would expect two wires landing on the same relay termination point (one side of relay coil) as the "coil" input so that either or both the "start" input or the "coil" input energizes the drive relay coil.
The only way for your explanation to work would be to have yet another independent relay.

btw - I got the colored schematics from Papajam. They are great. I'm taking the pic files to the copy store to have them reproduce them at a much larger than 8 1/2 x 11 size as I need both my reading glasses AND a magnifying glass to read it (sigh!).

thx
Warren

Last edited by trojwl; 10-08-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: error
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojwl View Post
In your post you say that, when the key is in start position, it bypasses the drive relay and starts pumps. Are you sure about this?
Yes. words words words

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
On a sorta not related but electrical relevant note:
Anyone have a clue how to recalibrate an Autometer voltage meter?
Have you tried changing the battery in the meter? A failing one in mine gave me dodgy readings.

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloSpider View Post
Have you tried changing the battery in the meter?
I assumed he was asking about a dash gauge voltmeter, not a portable Volt-Ohm Meter.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojwl View Post
...when the key is in start position, it bypasses the drive relay and starts pumps.
Technically (or is it electrically) speaking, it is the engine running relay trigger that is bypassed. This is the pulsing signal from ignition coil negative to relay terminal 31b. During cranking, the relay contacts close via a non-pulsing start signal on terminal 50. These two circuits must isolated be from each other to prevent one circuit from interfering with the other. Whether this is done with diodes or a second relay coil or something I don't know. Suppose I could take one apart and find out.

Are you suspecting no fuel pump voltage during crank?

Jim

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
Have a look at this thread: no fuel pressure

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Smile Gentlemen

Responses are cretainly appreciated however it appears the discussion has been sidetracked off the original issue.

Let me preface by stating I have 31 years experience in the instrumentation and controls field with a major electrical generating utility so I absolutely know my way around metering devices, electronics, relays (you would not believe the variety), control theory, etc. Trust me - I have probably seen it all at one time or another.

For example you have a $30 oxygen probe for your car. We have stack O2 probes (also zirconium cells but many times more complex)) that cost over $8000 per probe and $150,000 for the complete measuring system. You need this to accurately measure down to the .01 percent accuracy required for efficient operation of the large boilers.

Secondly my question was merely how is power to the pumps routed when in the "starting" phase. I see only one route - through the normally open contacts on the drive relay. So far the only way I see to seemingly "bypass" the drive relay function is to indeed have both "start" and "engine running" inputs land on the same relay terminal (one side of relay coil) so that either will energize the relay coil, and close the NO contacts. Yes this would require some sort of diode setup.

With all due respect, I don't see how your theory of bypassing the relay and energizing pumps is possible any other way short of an additional relay.

Please do not take this as any form of disrespect. I am learning more about this car everyday and the info I get in these forums is indeed invaluable.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode