yet ANOTHER Alfa project - and I haven't my previous project yet! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

yet ANOTHER Alfa project - and I haven't my previous project yet!

1969 roundtail. Body and paint looks great, engine department looks worse then terrible. I'm having a nasty itch to either go webers or what about sneaking in a later 2.0l out of a later 80's or 90's spider injection and all. Kind of a Alfa retromod? Anybody ever do this? I like the looks and sounds of the webers on my giulietta, but I also like the drive-ability of my 90 spider. mmmm
any thoughts on this matter?
Attached Images

60' PA-24 Comanche
61' Giulietta Spider
69' 1750 Boat tail
73' 911T
89' Milano Gold
90' Graduate Spider

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Don't be silly, that engine bay looks just fine from the looks of it. There's nothing obviously disconnected, the vapour separator top is still even together, and you even still have your rad cowl. The spica system is just fine! Why go to the bother of having to change out your wiring harness, adding etc. etc. when the original is just perfect.

Did you run it at all?

Marc
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Garage
keep stock gets my vote

I think you'd lose a lot of value if you modernise this little beauty. Go stock all the way is my vote. Good luck

[B]1985 Spider Veloce (Isabella),[/B]
2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM

My vote is to keep it stock....................looks great!!!

Darkside Member
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

you guys win - stock it is. Has not run in several years, so its time for a rebuild. linkage to the pump feels rough like something is bad inside. Guess I'll have to have Wes rebuild it more than likely. Pretty happy about the lack of rust, you never know what to expect when you put a new car up on the lift and have a look at the end trials.

60' PA-24 Comanche
61' Giulietta Spider
69' 1750 Boat tail
73' 911T
89' Milano Gold
90' Graduate Spider

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Well, just to be ornery, here's another suggestion...

My Duetto has a 2L with Webers. 'Course, mine is the earlier (1600) model, which did come with carbs from the factory (and had no engine when I got it). To me, Webers provide a dirt simple solution. Sure Spica is more elegant, sure Bosch EFI is more efficient, but... when properly setup Webers start, idle, and run great. No complicated wiring, no electronics, no high-pressure fuel system, and you wouldn't have to make any irreversible modifications. I do understand the "keep it original" sentiment, but figure that as long as the next owner can easily convert it back to stock, then I've done my duty.

If your '69 has a 1750, then the 2L wouldn't provide much of a displacement increase. And by sticking with the 1750 you'd avoid having to mate the 2L crank to a mechanical clutch, or convert the pedal to hydraulic. So, sticking with the 1750, but Weberizing it, could be another strategy, especially if the Spica pump needs an expensive overhaul.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-28-2010 at 07:31 AM.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Somewhat partial to the performance that one can get out of a strong 2 L in the earlier models.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Nice looking project! Good luck. Dickson

A.L.F.A
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Garage
A 69 should have a hydraulic clutch. A 2L is a drop in clutch/bellhousing portion. But I prefer the 1750. With Webers they are really nice. But it is getting expensive to convert to Webers, if you do it right.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlegs32 View Post
A 69 should have a hydraulic clutch. A 2L is a drop in clutch/bellhousing portion. But I prefer the 1750. With Webers they are really nice. But it is getting expensive to convert to Webers, if you do it right.
Oops, you're right. I had argued for keeping the 1750 to avoid the hydraulic clutch conversion, but hotlegs is right - not an issue.

Weber conversions can be expensive. But then comancheflyer mentioned that the Spica pump on his new toy needs attention, and that can be expensive too. To me, Spica has always been "black magic" - I dislike spending money on something I don't fully understand, I worry that I may spend $X, only to find that it'll take another $Z to make it work properly. With Webers, the budget is significant, true, but at least it is known from the outset.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Use your 90 spider as a parts car and fit the engine tranny and rearend into the 69.. Also use the brakes. Convert to hanging pedals with booster.. then do the A/C system.. nice stereo and plush carpet and seats. You will then have a Motronic boatail.
If you could find a twin spark that would be even better. Make it a real retromod.
Pwr steering from a series 4 .. It could be a nice machine. You need Panasport wheels too. Fly Yellow paint. All the spider upgrades offered. Bushings .. springs.. shocks.. drilled rotors.. etc.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
Somewhat partial to the performance that one can get out of a strong 2 L in the earlier models.

And I can see why............one hot ride you got there Bob.

I would vote for a 2L just for the avaibility of parts, the 1750 is getting to be a rare bird.

Darkside Member
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm getting 30.9 when driving for mpg out of my HP pump Wes recently did and just as much power as Webers.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Roundtail resto update

Well, after getting it home, I discovered that it was invaded by that dreaded rust worm, mostly on the rear shelf area behind the seats. So ... the last week was spent gutting her of brake lines, fuel tank, fuel lines, well pretty much anything that wasn't welded in place. Next stop - Reids Auto Body for a 3 month make over. Stay tuned for body shop updates. Now - I have to decide on a color. Original was silver. Now its green. I'm heavily leaning towards rosa right now. Well, I still have time. Stay tuned ....
Attached Images

60' PA-24 Comanche
61' Giulietta Spider
69' 1750 Boat tail
73' 911T
89' Milano Gold
90' Graduate Spider

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 AM

Any updates?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode