Transmission question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Transmission question

First off, sorry, I know this isn't the transmission forum, but that forum seems to get very little traffic. Sorry for the length, but there is a fun picture for those of you who prefer the pictures to the articles.

Just a little history, my spider hates me. Every time I fix something, something else breaks. I put legal plates on the car, the radiator starts leaking. I fix a fuel leak at the tank. I jump in the car to drive it, and the slave has leaked all the fluid out. The reservoir was full the day before, as it has been for weeks prior. It was fine two hour prior when I drove it to get the stuff to fix the gas leak. Rebuild the slave and the master. Yeah, figured I would nip that in the bud! A little effort into bleeding the system and all is good. I missed ordering the hose, and it is leaking a bit, but not too bad. I ordered a new one, just plain forgot when I ordered the rebuild kits.

Drives great! Shifts fine! Or should I say, "Shifts grate!" Sorry bad pun. Wish I could say it won't happen again, but...

Get on a narrow street, and just miss a parking spot. No biggie, the spider is small, I can do a quick three point turn and get the parking spot. Very busy area, so finding a spot within a quarter mile of your destination is great.
Pull up to a driveway, reverse into the street and go to shift into 1st, and the shifter won't budge out of reverse. At all. And I am blocking the whole street. Suddenly some 10,433 cars need to go down the street I am blocking. Always a wonderful feeling. Got the car pushed out of the way enough for cars to get by and work it into an illegal parking spot since the one I wanted is no longer there. Car rolls just fine with the clutch in, but no way was it coming out of reverse.

I get the spider flatbedded home. I make the tow truck driver take the bumpiest road he can find. I really don't want my spider to get comfortable touring the countryside on the back of a tow truck.

Get the car into the air, and pull a huge ball of grease from the car where a transmission is usually located. After a large dose of solvent and beer, I actually find a transmission! Umm, the beer is for me, not the tranny. But I guess I shouldn't be talking about my neighbor like that.

I take the 5th gear housing off and I find my 2nd gear syncro! Heck, I didn't even know I had lost it! It almost always ground going into 2nd, but they all do that, right? Once I took the syncro out, the transmission shifts just fine. But, since I have it out, and I know the 2nd gear syncro needs to be replaced... I bet it is really easy to replace the motor mounts with the transmission out also, huh? But if the mounts are disconnected, it really is only just another moment to pop the engine out and reseal the oil pans. And if I have the oil pans off, the crank and rod bearings are right there. Heck, if the rods are disconnected, might as well do the rings. I bet with the engine out, it is really easy to take care of all the front end suspension too!
My spider hates me.

Should a regular transmission shop be able to press the main shaft apart without charging me an insane amount?
Does anyone have link to a good exploded view? I have the manual, but I want real pictures!
Can I salvage the old syncro?

Thanks!

Tom

71 spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Perhaps you should leave one thing broken so all the other stuff will stop breaking?

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

does this help

I was in my spider and pulled out of walmart went to 2nd than 3rd ,, what it will not go ? I was able to put it in 2nd and make it home.. My 2nd gear fork came off the shifter rod. Heres a pic for a start. there is a thread about (first gear replacement ) somewere on here . Type in trans You will find many of them. I think .... Most people dont want to mess with pressing the gears off and on unless they do the trans and back up there work. I went and got a press from harbor freight . 12 ton for $129.00 and a flat blade clamp $19.95 . Maybe you can find your self a 20% off coupon. good luck If you cant find any pic let me know I can Email them to you. 105 or 115 trans
Attached Images

Chef Step

Last edited by Spider77rebuild; 08-30-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: real pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 AM

I bet that top one can be fixed up with some JB Weld!! :-)

Bought a $69 Harbor Fright press for an attaempt at a rebuild this winter....

Jon '74 GTV RIP Tifosi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM

.have to seen my t5 kit.. even with a new t5( $800.00-1200.00 ) and the kit..it is just about 1/2 off the cost of a new( rebuilt alfa tranny) even a rebuilt t5 the cost would be less.. and you will be useing a 1 peice driveshaft( less weight) no donut( nothing to tear or come apart)and better power transfer. and better shifhting.. 1 -3 use duel carbon lined synco's.. and the box weighs 3 pounds light than the alfa tranny.. abd just a better transmission......oh yes.. a t5 transission .. ford mustang great ratios.. and easy to find.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo

Last edited by bianchi1; 08-31-2010 at 12:39 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

How do you mount the tranny to the engine is there a conversion for the bell housing? Sounds like something I might want to do.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

you mount tranny to the adapter- the adapter to the bellhousing-- bellhousing to the motor.. easy........also i just noticed the t5 w/c tranny, has less psrts then the alfa tranny..

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo

Last edited by bianchi1; 08-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM

You don't actually have to have a press to take apart the transmission. I have disassembled mine and rebuildt it twice (20 years apart) with the help of an inexpensive large gear puller.

J.N. Coulombe
1969 1750 Spider USA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana1750 View Post
You don't actually have to have a press to take apart the transmission. I have disassembled mine and rebuildt it twice (20 years apart) with the help of an inexpensive large gear puller.
I agree-- just did this last week with a 6" gear puller--8" would be nice to reach all the way to the 2nd gear, but i got creative with a pair of 3" C-clamps and a helper....just keep track of where the shims were.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM

I think I remember somewhere in a trans post about using a puller. maybe post a pic of what type you used would help.
one more thing how do you get the gears back on with out beating one .

Chef Step

Last edited by Spider77rebuild; 08-31-2010 at 07:53 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 AM

This is the exact puller I used:

6" 2-jaw gear puller | Auto Repair | Autmotive Tools | Hand Tools | Princess Auto ...ran me about $20

To get the gears back on, i just pulled from the other side of the mainshaft...not sure if this is technically correct, but it seemed to work for me. No bashing required. As i said, the 6" puller didnt completely reach the other side of the mainshaft, so i inverted the jaws, and stuck some C-clamps in there to basically make jaw extensions....I also used a 1.25" pipe cap with the puller as to not damage the mainshaft (you need that pipe cap to push/pull the transmission mount anyway)

The only things that are friction fit on the shaft are the synchro hubs, bearings and reverse gear...everything else slides on pretty easily by hand.

Hope this helps!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM

Thank you very much . Thanks for the info!

Chef Step
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM

I didn't need the puller to get the gears or synchro segments back on. I heated the parts in an oil bath as described in the Autobook workshop manual and the parts slipped easily back onto the mainshaft but were locked solidly in place after cooling.

J.N. Coulombe
1969 1750 Spider USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode