Best book to buy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Garage
Has anyone been able to get copies of the manuals from AROC-USA? I emailed their librarian and have yet to hear back. Does anyone know if they require membership in AROC-USA to access those manuals?

Bobby | Brooklyn, NY
~1986 Spider Veloce~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBobby View Post
What format do the digital copies on the CDs come in? Are they PDFs? Can you selectively print pages? Can you select and copy text? Can the files be copied off the CDs onto a computer, and therefore to a phone or tablet?

OR - are they in some proprietary format that can only be viewed from the CD?

Thanks!
The CarDisc Alfa Spider CD (at least for the s4 cars) is useful if you don't have a better copy of the shop manual, but I was disappointed to find that it was only a pdf image scan of a used paper copy of the manual—and not too high resolution at that. You can't select text or do word searches, some of the smaller illustrations are hard to read and some pages have slight print-through from text on the other side of the page. They also have a "CarDisc" logo-text box embedded in each page that I find annoying that interferes with OCR if you are tying to convert one or two pages to real text.

Richard F.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Garage
Thanks @34acd, that is very helpful. Makes me think that it's not necessarily worth getting. I'd rather have a hard copy and convert it to digital myself. If I do, I'll be happy to share it with the community.

Bobby | Brooklyn, NY
~1986 Spider Veloce~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 PM

If you have a Mac, and the very useful German app "Graphic converter", the Car Disk can be made more readily accessible, without the garbage overlay. Here should be the table of contents for the files:

Terence
[acceleration = force / mass]
74 Spider Veloce

Experienced but gone:
65 Giulia spider
61 Lancia Flaminia PF coupe
67 Volvo P-1800S

Wife's support vehicle
14 Porsche Cayman
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Garage
If anyone has an extra copy, I like the manual I got from International Auto Parts (out of business). Basically a copy of the original Alfa Manual.

David Griszkauskas

Old Stuff:
1988 Spider Graduate
1980 Honda CX500 (cool..), 1970 Harley Sprint

Aš nesuprantu
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBobby View Post
Has anyone been able to get copies of the manuals from AROC-USA? I emailed their librarian and have yet to hear back. Does anyone know if they require membership in AROC-USA to access those manuals?
Not sure about membership. I am a member but not sure if that was verified when I got my package. I'd try again - it's not like Jim to not get back to people. You must've slipped through the cracks somehow.

The package for my car is amazing. A full set and then some. Owners manual, full service manual, full parts manual, engine overhaul manual, FI manual, special electrical diagrams, a manual just for nuts and bolts, softop installation manual, a big list of TSBs and assorted other miscellaneous info. If membership is a requirement, all of this is well worth the membership fee and then some.

-Chris

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-18-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Garage
Perhaps I jumped the gun and wasn't patient enough... apologies. @papajam got back to me with the full package - what an amazing collection of resources, as you stated @GV27! Can't wait to get to work on my Alfa.

-Bobby

Bobby | Brooklyn, NY
~1986 Spider Veloce~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode