What should be in my boot (trunk)? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

What should be in my boot (trunk)?

Hello,

Looking for a winter project, so I thought I would get my UK 1976 Series II's boot sorted. All I have in there is a mangy old carpet, a spare wheel that is loose (no restraining thingy) and the handle from a scissors jack.

My question is: what should be there? I realise the carpet is not original, but was there a rubber mat? Was there a ply or hardboard panel above the wheel and fuel tank to serve as a base for the mat? What tools lurked there originally?

Does anyone have a nice sorted boot/trunk setup they would like to share as inspiration for said winter project?

Eugene

Eugene
1976 Alfa Spider 2000 Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

I understood that you want change your wheels for winter. Is it correct? Can you explain your question in other way....I didn't understand....thanks.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghid View Post
I understood that you want change your wheels for winter. Is it correct? Can you explain your question in other way....I didn't understand....thanks.
No, you misunderstand ... I am asking about the bit of the car which is called the 'boot' in the UK and the 'trunk' in the US, i.e. the place at the back of the car where you put your tools and luggage! The portabagagli?

Eugene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Jack (I don't think scissor type), tire iron, spare tire, small tool roll w/sundry tools (picture or list around here somewhere, but contains stuff like crecent wrench, hammer, couple screwdrivers)

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Not exactly what you're after, but here's a pic as supplied by Anfanuts from a '69 (fire extinguisher is an add on obviously That's the jack to the right of the extiguisher) :

Darren

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 12-01-2009 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

And one from Chuck:

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

And another from Anfanuts:

All older models, but does kinda give the idea of what's gonna be found in there.

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the images. That is one very neat looking boot. Can anyone please confirm whether there is some sort of ply/hardboard sheet underneath the mat? And, if so, a picture?

Sorry to be so demanding ...

Eugene
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenel View Post
No, you misunderstand ... I am asking about the bit of the car which is called the 'boot' in the UK and the 'trunk' in the US, i.e. the place at the back of the car where you put your tools and luggage! The portabagagli?

SORRY!!!!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

I think that spiderfrek can give you some photos. Ask him!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 PM

I think my tool bag was missing but my jack is like the one in the pic but mounted on the right fender. if my memory is right it is just carpet but it had a hardboard under the carpet.
or at lest over the tire. it has been ages I never look under the rug.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM

here are some pics out of my book.
Attached Images

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM

I have a '76 2000 Spider and there is a bound grey carpet in the boot which is rubber backed. I believe it to be original. There is no covering to the spare wheel or petrol tank, the carpet just runs over. The jack is mounted on a threaded stud on the RHS inner wings area together with a plastic wallet containing a spark plug socket, bar and a wheel nut lever.
Trust that this is useful.

Stuart
'57 Spider Veloce, '57 Lightweight, '60 SZ, '76 2000 Spider. '60 Sprint
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfazagato View Post
I have a '76 2000 Spider and there is a bound grey carpet in the boot which is rubber backed. I believe it to be original. There is no covering to the spare wheel or petrol tank, the carpet just runs over. The jack is mounted on a threaded stud on the RHS inner wings area together with a plastic wallet containing a spark plug socket, bar and a wheel nut lever.
Trust that this is useful.
Mine, a USA spec 78, is the same re: carpet. (We Americans also get the battery weighing down the trunk's passenger side, however, so my jack is up against the bulkhead as shown in one of the examples above).

The lack of support for the carpet over the tire well and gas tank always seemed odd to me (especially with the hoses coming out of tank). Did the older rubber mats have some sort of hardwood or cardboard surface underneath the mat? That photo of the '69 above is so flat and solid looking it seems like it has to have some support underneath or it would droop. (i wish they'd stuck with the rubber mats in the trunk; very practical.)

Dan
78 Spider Veloce

Former "vintage" cars: 74 Fiat 124 Spider (first car); 70 Volvo 164 ("the tank"); 74 Datsun 260Z (only started on fire once); 80 Honda Civic wagon; 89 Saab 900; 71 MGB ('Blue B')

Last edited by dcalfa; 12-01-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: more info
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM

I thought there was a round hardboard that had a spring snap that went into the center of the spare. but I might be thinking of my 1968 corna. but I thought the corna had a big one board for the whole trunk bottom and a big threded thumb nut that went into the center of the spare.

Tags
boot, trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode