$1200 alfa - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Took the bargain Alfa for a long ride today. It runs and drives really well. Pretty much everything works. You can't see the ugly from the drivers seat. Notice the door hinges for the front license plate.

The "Webers" LOL

1959 Giulietta Spider 750 (gone, but not forgotten), 1959 Giulietta Spider 750 (race car), 1959 Giulietta Spider 101
1967 Duetto
1971 Spider, 1978 Spider Veloce (gone), 1981 Spider Veloce
1986 Graduate, 1986 Spider Veloce (parts car)

Last edited by intune; 11-17-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fix photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980alfa View Post
tips or trick to getting a stuck piston out besides compressed air?
Folks have had good luck fitting up a grease nipple and then putting a grease gun to it to give some real hydraulic pressure to mush out pistons.

Messy to clean up afterwards, but certainly effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intune
The "Webers" LOL
Yer gonna wanna keep good track of the engine mounts in that one due to the style filter selected.

Once things start to go weak, the outer covers on them are highly likely to start bashing on the inner tinwork.

It can mean beat up paint, deformed filter element, and even the potential to knock them right off the runners making for some really sexy no filtered running.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Yer gonna wanna keep good track of the engine mounts in that one due to the style filter selected.

Once things start to go weak, the outer covers on them are highly likely to start bashing on the inner tinwork.

It can mean beat up paint, deformed filter element, and even the potential to knock them right off the runners making for some really sexy no filtered running.
Thanks! The mounts were replaced not that long ago, but I'll watch them.

1959 Giulietta Spider 750 (gone, but not forgotten), 1959 Giulietta Spider 750 (race car), 1959 Giulietta Spider 101
1967 Duetto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM

This car is really shaping up. I was having trouble starting it, especially on cold days. It has a Shankle Sure-Start in place of the thermostatic actuator. It operates much like a manual choke, but it was way out of adjustment. Once we got it right, we pulled it out about 3/4 of an inch and the car started right up. It ran just over 1000 rpm and ran well. After a minute or so, I pushed the control in and drove away. The idle settled at around 750 warm. It's running great! The heater works fine, so there's no reason, except snow and salt, not to drive it all winter long.

1967 Duetto
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

mixture screw under the fuel shut off switch/solonoid. I've seen the screw under the TA all out of whack and the shut off solonoid screwed to far in or out but that's a new one on me about the shut off solonoid having a mixture screw under it. I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I'm going back and re read wes's book and my factory manual, it has been awhile which is a testament as to how well they work when set up corrrectly.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 AM

My $1200 Spider:

It's a '77, and it did come with the DCOE-40 set-up. I couldn't help but chime in here, because I got a carbed spider at that price.

I got it from my boss at work who inherited it from his father in law. My boss had been told that it needed a complete carburetor overhaul that would cost many hundred dollars, so it sat for two-plus years.

It really ended up needing a fuel pump replacement and because of its sitting for so long, it needed two new brake calipers because they'd seized. The rear window had a crack in it, and the paint also had some cracks, but the interior is a beautiful cherry red with seats and carpet in near perfect shape. LUCKY ME!

Here's some YouTube of it exhaling through its side exiting Monza Twin Tip that's attached only to a short Monza center resonator & glass pack combo. (My work) It's worth a listen!

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Shankle Sure-Start

I haven't been able to find anything related to the Shankle Sure-Start. Any ideas where it can be purchased? Thanks.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM

The paperwork I have has them in Chatsworth, CA. Follow this link to see what happened to them. Maybe someone else knows how you can find one.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anyt...gineering.html

1967 Duetto
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Shankle in the late '70s for my '77 Alfetta, including a Sure-Start. It worked fine for me and it cost a whole lot less than a new TA at that time. Seems like something that some company ought to consider adding to their catalog.

Best regards,
Gordon
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM

I sent an email to: [email protected] and had the following response:

"We are Shankle and we do have the Sure-Start in stock. They are $68.00 and we have a separate handle for $11.00. Personally I always have used a separate handle so that the original throttle remains intact and there is no extra stress on the dash or center consol. Many people just attach the cable to the original throttle handle. There are instuction included if you are not familiar with the Sure Start."

Their website is not very good but they are prompt on email. Can't find the URL I used right now
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM

20 degrees and sunny this morning. Pulled the Sure-Start out half-an-inch; started in 5 turns and ran great! Mine is connected to the throttle control and does pull on the console. A separate handle would be better. Drove 25 miles to the airport with the top down! Brrr. Life is good.

1967 Duetto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode