Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Pics of a Duetto racer buildup (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/156125-pics-duetto-racer-buildup.html)

Nader 09-09-2009 09:56 PM

Pics of a Duetto racer buildup

2 Attachment(s)
Whew, I've been waiting a long time to start a thread like this. Though I'm not done, I've made enough progress to start the exhibition.

Okay, technically it's not a Duetto, but a '69 1750 Spider Veloce. I'm calling it a Duetto from here on out for convenience.

I bought this car 2.5 years ago locally from a lead off this site. I was looking for a wreck to rescue. This fit the bill almost perfectly: Banged up body, rusty floors, already stripped, and an unoriginal seized engine. It had most of it's ratty and moldy interior bits in boxes.

More importantly, it's a '69, which to me is the most desirable year Alfa we can run in our particular vintage race organization here in the Pacific Northwest.

If these pics upload properly, you'll see the car as I first saw it:

AlfaSpyder/1982 09-09-2009 10:16 PM

Good luck mate....can't wait to see some progress. Don't forget the detailed pictures and most importantly.....PAINT IT BLACK!!!! They even made a song about it they just left out the alfa part. i.e rolling stones

Nader 09-09-2009 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This car was originally white. I planned to keep the engine bay and trunk white in race car utilitarian fashion. My plans for the exterior paint was to go cheap and expendable. I expect it to be chipped and marred, and want to touch it up easily. I'd be satisfied with a race car finish that follows the 50/50 rule. Looks good at fifty feet and fifty mph. You'll see some black, mate, but at a later post.

For now, more pics of the wreck's nose damage:

SpiderWebb 09-10-2009 10:04 AM

Ouch! A broken nose. Good luck. I've dreamed of doing this, but ended up with a car I want to keep stock. Darn!

Nader 09-10-2009 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The nose is broken, but fixable.

SpiderWebb 09-10-2009 01:21 PM

Nice!

I know of a Duetto shell in my area. It was a rollover accident and it looks tweaked from every angle. The guy wants $4,000 for the empty shell. No running gear. I passed, but know it is still there.

How much did you pay for your machine? Do you have an overall budget in mind?

Nader 09-10-2009 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can buy a complete, running, but rusted and ugly car for not much over 4K. You can buy a roller like mine for around $2K.

I never really had a budget since I planned to build the drivetrain and chassis to a high degree. I farmed out all that including the heavy bodywork and installation of the roll cage to the best local people I knew. I saved the exterior paint and final assembly of odd bits, electrical, etc for myself.

Here's some fender slop. Someone welded on a later series fender and tried to make it fit. I ground off a half inch of Bondo in some areas.

SpiderWebb 09-10-2009 04:28 PM

I'll enjoy this projects progress.
Have at it...

Nader 09-10-2009 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a look at the rough interior. Rusty floors included. There was rot in all corners of the floorboards as well as the parcel shelf. This will all need to be replaced to provide a strong footing for the roll cage. Everything else, however, was solid.

Nader 09-10-2009 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just a final bit of ugliness to show the substrate of a my racer build. I'm obviously not chopping up an intact street car for this project. This is how I brought the car home; seized, rusted and missing all sorts of bits:

Nader 09-10-2009 08:02 PM

Notice in the above pics how the rear bulkhead panel is missing. That'll pose a problem in that the trunk area with the future fuel cell needs to be sealed off from the cabin. Also notice the bent steering tie rod, and the crack in the bondo on the trunk lid edge. That eventually turned out to be about a quarter inch thick.

Next round of pics will be the stripping and clean-up.

Nader 09-10-2009 09:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Around Feb of '07, I relocated the project car to my friend's ranch. He has a large barn/shop where we could do some of the dirty work. I borrowed his monster 7" angle grinder with a wire cup to rip away the cabin's sound insulation, sealant, bondo, rot and whatnot. Tiring, but satisfying work:

Nader 09-10-2009 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That last picture showed a panel we welded into the passenger floor to patch a rusty spot. Hence the lack of a drain hole in the corner (which will need to be added). Here's the parcel shelf that needed some attention as well, especially as the cage's main hoop will be planted in the vicinity. Actually, both sides of the shelf needed patching.

Nader 09-10-2009 10:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Interior and exterior stripping progressed simultaneously, with my buddy doing the rust repair while I fought surface rust. I dabbled a bit in the welding and was inspired to buy my own MIG outfit. It's paid for itself with the work I've done on this and other projects.

Getting the exterior down to bare metal is a boost. Clean, but shows how much more work is ahead:

etip 09-10-2009 11:28 PM

Man, I love this thread!! I am restoring a '69 I found with a bush growing over it, but no where near as rough as yours. Looks awesome so far!! I'm in Seattle too if you need to look at a car or anything. I'd ask what you're doing with the spare parts.... But it doesn't look like it came with anything!!!!
Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
etip