Pics of a Duetto racer buildup - Page 49 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #721 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After three solid days of driving East on I-90, I was within minutes of Road America. Then I turned south for another 2 1/2 hour drive to my buddies house in the Chicago suburbs.

We were college roommates in the early 90s, and used to spend long hours talking cars. He is a big Alfisti as well, and I think my visit there to RA five years ago inspired him to start racing, too. So for the last for five years, he's also been racing a Spider. A pretty fast 1978. He's done well with it, too. Having won the Kimberly Cup at this particular race a couple years ago. I missed that race five years ago when I burned up the head after losing coolant on that Sunday morning practice session.

Anyway, after the long trip, I decompressed at his house, then the next day we both caravaned back up north to the track. Here we are in the paddocks at Road America at the infield of Turn 14 just before the main street, pitted next to each other. Could not have imagined this happening over 25 years ago when we were just car-crazy college students.
Attached Images

PSk, sbadaro and 2mAn like this.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Garage
Looks like big fun. I'm so envious. RA is one of the few major tracks I've visited - I was there for AMA races in 2007, and got to ride a parade lap of the circuit on the FJR1300. Would love to make that pilgrimage in the Spider someday. Such an interesting, challenging and beautiful venue. A real driver's track. Enjoy!

P.S. I read this thread 'cover to cover' a while back when I first got 'bitten by the Spider'. Very inspiring; love the Gulf livery!

Last edited by BrundleFly; 09-18-2017 at 08:55 AM.
post #723 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
But wait, there's more!

Thanks for following along, Brundlefly. I, too, gather inspiration from other people's build threads, which is why I started this thread back in '09.

The three-day weekend of racing was marvelous. Weather was beautiful, track and conditions were great. There were a few accidents, but I luckily avoided them.

My buddy and I were running very similar lap times. We were gridded number three and four for the Kimberly Cup. Mind you, the Kimberly Cup is the feature race for the slower guys with smaller displacement motors. At the start, we passed into the lead, and swapped it back-and-forth for the whole race. I was told later that the race announcer on the P.A. system had a great time with it.

In the end, I prevailed, and won the race. I think my late-braking and cornering speeds overcame his 2 L straight line speeds. My buddy won this very race two years ago (without me in it). So now, we each have this souvenir bottle of wine.

Here are pictures of the close racing, photo-op in the winner's circle, and the aforementioned bottle of Vino. Good times!
Attached Images

PSk, ghnl, sbadaro and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Congratulations! Looks like you had a blast!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #725 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 PM

Garage
Bravo!
post #726 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Congrats too! I do like his roll bar better....

Robert
Alfar7 likes this.
post #727 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Congrats too! I do like his roll bar better....

Robert
Congrats looks like you go just as fast no matter roll bar, shape, height, width, weight, arrrh anchor (insert big spoon for stirring)

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #728 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Terrific what you did for the car. I remember taking a look at the car north of Seattle somewheres and all I took home was the right rear bumperette. Looks better without the bumpers.
All that time going to med school in Milwaukee never got to the Oshkosh fly in or the races.
post #729 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Race season is upon us again. I finished the last season without any DNFs or DNSs, but I did pick up a loud rattle at the last race of the year. Couldn't tell where it was coming from, thought it was clutch for some reason since it got louder when I disengaged the clutch at idle while in gear.

So I removed the transmission from the engine to inspect the clutch and flywheel, only to find it in perfect condition. Along the way, I did notice this broken mount on my exhaust megaphone, which likely explained the rattle:
Attached Images

post #730 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I re-welded most of the exhaust system FOR THE FOURTH TIME. Beefed up the attachment points on the header's collector pipe, and added another muffler hanger to quell the vibration that led to the megaphone's demise. After reattaching everything, the rattle is gone and the megaphone doesn't vibrate near as much as it did before.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nader; 04-25-2018 at 10:03 PM.
post #731 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Then I turned my attention to the bodywork. For several years, I've been meaning to close off the large holes in the snout that serve as a parachute when I'm at terminal velocity. But on the driver side is my oil cooler, and on the passenger side is the air intake to the carbs. So I'd have to include some ducting. Check out my hillbilly method with coat hanger wire framing and duct tape.
Attached Images

post #732 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Really sloppy, but invisible, and should hold. Maybe someday I'll pull it apart and use it as a mold for a fiberglass shroud.
Attached Images

post #733 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's where I use some of that old Alcoa 6013-T4 aluminum sheet I bought from Boeing about 15 years ago when they still had their surplus available for sale to the public. I've mentioned before that I bought A LOT of Al sheet from them in varying grades and thicknesses without really knowing what I'd be doing with it all back then. This stuff is used on jet plane fuselage turbine cowling sheet metal.
Attached Images

post #734 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And here it is fastened up and with ducting in place. Not thrilled with the fit of the sheet metal, might have to make some adjustments if it keeps bothering me. Shot it with truck bed paint. Maybe I'll pick up a couple MPH at the end of the straight?
Attached Images

ghnl likes this.

post #735 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

How could one pass up the opportunity to acquire anything that might possibly come in handy down the road? It just can't be done. Southern engineering at it's best, and it works!

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode