Pics of a Duetto racer buildup - Page 47 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #691 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:02 AM
Lin
Gold Subscriber

Nader,
So sorry to hear about Baldor. Sorry for your loss of a good friend.
Lin

Lin

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin Healey 3000 MKI
1964 Jaguar MK2 - current resto project
1969 Mercedes Benz 280SL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Heartfelt condolences over the loss of Baldor. There is nothing like a German shepherd dog. Like us, when we lost our last GSD, you will get another when the time is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
Over the years, my dog, Baldor, has made a few cameo appearances in this very large thread. Back in '09 when I started this, he was a young adult. Anyone whose ever had a dog knows where I'm going with this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #693 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:35 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Sorry to hear about Baldor's passing. I understand the hole in your heart.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:36 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing.

Brian __________________________________

post #695 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Condolences as well. I'd be heartbroken if I were to loose my copilot...

Name:  rolo.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  45.8 KB

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #696 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
Oh...that's so sad Mr Nader. I know how that feels. My wife's family had a long string of Shepherds.

On a positive note, we are now doggysitting my older son's Griffon while he's away at med school. He's such a lovable goof. When he leaves on weekends we get so lonely.

Winston says hello and sends good thoughts...
Name:  Winston.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  70.2 KB

1967 1600 Spider
post #697 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM

Godspeed Baldor, Godspeed.

Hawke sends his condolences (as do I).
Attached Images

1 9 6 6 A l f a R o m e o D u e t t o /1996 Ducati 900SS-SP /1970 Ford Bronco/1951 Nash Ambassador/2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
post #698 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it. You all have handsome, good dogs. Give them an extra squeeze for me.

Baldor was often my companion while working on the race car both at the trailer storage site (one of his favorite places) and in my own driveway. I'm still sad, but better than yesterday. Takes time.

Speaking of which, there was a time, before kids, that my wife and I took a drive in the street Duetto with full-sized Baldor sitting back behind the seats (transversely). It was funny, because he's as big as a person and barely fit in there. Someone even took out their phone to take a picture of us when we were stopped at a light. Even funnier (to me) was that he'd bark at other dogs on the sidewalk as we drove by. Happy fun red sporty little car, with a big scary German Shepherd cursing you as we drove by. Heh heh.

He loved going for rides. One thing I regret was not taking him for more. Especially in the truck. He really loved that F350.

Here he is in his latter days, a few weeks ago, wisely skeptical of the new addition. Looking back at me as if to say, "Are you sure about this?"
Attached Images

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #699 of 764 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The first race of the new season is next weekend. Gotta get the car out of the shed and up into the driveway to get prepped. Unfortunately, the soggy grass won't let me drive up the hill. I've already torn up the lawn with the first attempt up the hill.

Good thing I just got this crusty old FJ40 Landcruiser with a Warn 8274 winch. It has an 8,000 lb rating, so the truck can winch itself up a tree. Not a problem to get a wispy LIC up a short slope. Baldor would have loved this. Oh, I forgot to put a blanket on the winch cable for safety, in case it snapped.
Attached Images

LaurandSteve likes this.

post #700 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing much to report from the Spring Sprints I attended a few weeks ago. I had a couple of issues, now that the car is old, I mean, seasoned enough to show some wear and tear. I had a sudden strange noise, bad vibration, and loss of power that occurred on the first practice outing. I had vision of a season-ending engine failure. I poked around a seemingly normal engine bay for a while as it cooled down. Did a compression test that was surprisingly normal. Checked timing, which was fine. Someone even lent me a borescope to look down in the cylinders, and nothing seemed melted nor were there any chunks of metal.

Finally looked under the car to see the exhaust dislodged from the header and hanging halfway off. Whew!

Then the last session of the last day I had a throttle that wouldn't close, so I shut it down on the straight. Turned out the carburetor throttle shaft return spring on one of the Webers was broken. Luckily, I have donor junk carbs at home, and was able to fix it with a good used spring.

Here's a picture of some Weber on Weber action. Hah!
Attached Images

post #701 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This last weekend, I travelled again to Spokanistan, I mean, Spokane, for the always fun Festival of Speed. Have I mentioned before how I always have a good time in Spokane? And how I always promise myself that I'll never camp out again? On top of that, I always seem to show up late enough to miss out on prime or even acceptable paddock space on decent, level asphalt.
Attached Images

post #702 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My spot had a prime view of this recently burned down hulk of a Winnebago. I heard it was the water heater's propane line that failed.

In other news, I brought one of my favorite track foods from home; Shirazi salad. I made a gallon of it, and my brother and I finished it all in one day. Similar to Italian gaspacho salad, or Mexican pico de gallo. Very light and refreshing. Red solo cup to keep it on the down-low.
Attached Images

post #703 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Any issues on the track after a half gallon?!

1967 1600 Spider
post #704 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, it's not like the port-a-potties there would never be the same. Fact is, shirazi salad is probably the ideal track food. I shouldn't even be saying this, since it qualifies as a speed secret.

post #705 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Some vintage racing fans will find out, if they don't already know, that a racer died at this race in Spokane. I was in his group. Second to last race of the weekend on Sunday. He was racing an Elva Mk7s (with BMW power). He was a front runner in our mixed group. Halfway through the first lap, where he was already a few seconds ahead of me, I saw a cloud of dust, and large chunks of rock and gravel on the track, but no wreckage. We were given a full course caution with pace car for a couple laps before the session was called off.

What I learned later was that there was a suspected mechanical failure, possible front suspension, that led to his car suddenly veering off to the infield of the track at the end of the back straight. There's an embankment there, and it catapulted him high up in the air, barrel rolling multiple times, landing deep in the infield and out of sight from the track. He was taken to the hospital where he was declared dead.

I like the Spokane track a lot. It might be my favorite, but it's unforgiving. I know of 2 racers who have died there, one in a car and another on a motorcycle, and several who have been maimed. This is just in my experience with this track in car and motorcycle racing over the last 10 years. It's better now than in the past, but in my opinion it definitely needs improvement in run-off space and fewer embankments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode