34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #676 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
...my brother is also a pretty decent photographer.
Especially since he only took photos when you were in front of the TR4...
radamm and spydaman like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #677 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Especially since he only took photos when you were in front of the TR4...
British car sympathizers, you and your yes men!

Would an MG in front of me make you feel better? Here:
Attached Images

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #678 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:58 PM

First of all,the Alfa Romeo spider looks much better,nicer road stance,2 nd ....how did that mgb get in front of you? Missed shift?
PSk likes this.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #679 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you, Bianchi. You are the voice of reason and display excellent taste. The truth of the picture above is that I was gridded in the back after DNF'ing from the bad alternator, and for this session was slicing and dicing my way through English car traffic, on my way to face off against that blasted blue Triumph.

BTW, the blue Triumph and I are very, very closely matched (at the moment). He beat me in this race. The next one I led him until the penultimate lap when I missed a shift and he pounced, taking the win. I re-jetted for the heat and altitude for the final race, looking for any advantage because it was so close, and he didn't run it. It was my first race win, and a it felt very hollow.

post #680 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Once I got home from that weekend in Spokane, I quickly ordered another one of those cheap 50 Amp mini alternators to keep in reserve amongst my spares. To make it fit my application, one of the mounting lugs needs to be milled down a bit. Pay no attention to those brass knobs in the background.
Attached Images

post #681 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I forgot about this minor modification. In the off-season, I ditched the quick-release steering hub in favor of a fixed spacer. I didn't like the slight amount of play that the splined hub had, never used the quick release feature, and didn't like the thought of the steering wheel becoming disconnected mid-race like I've seen in a few youtube videos.

As for the new steering wheel, it's a period-correct Racemark Raid wheel. Probably the only period-correct piece on the car. Heh.
Attached Images

post #682 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM

Nadar, email me,[email protected]

post #683 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM

My cell number 916 540 8091 call me asap

post #684 of 764 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Nadar,it was very nice of you to trim the grass on the side of the track,your fellow drivers will appreciate the nice job that you did,when they run off the track��

post #685 of 764 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Over the years, my dog, Baldor, has made a few cameo appearances in this very large thread. Back in '09 when I started this, he was a young adult. Anyone whose ever had a dog knows where I'm going with this...

Some background:
My last dog, another German Shepherd named Grendel, was my first dog. He was huge, anxious, vocal, and emotional. Affectionate, too, sometimes like a big baby. He died at the age of 10, while the race car was having some bodywork done at Vintage Customs, back in '08 or so. I remember there being an issue with the cage not having extensions into the tire arch in the footwells, something the previous shop would have dealt with. I confided in Daron, the shop owner, that my dog just died, and I was too distraught to deal with the car's cage. Him being a dog guy (his username here is Akitaman), said not to worry, he'll take care of it. And he did. I think he dragged the welder from the other shop to his, and had him make the additions.

Here's Grendel:
Attached Images

post #686 of 764 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife found wasted no time in finding us another German Shepherd breeder with new puppies. The sire was a Washington State schutzhund champion, but the dam was a family pet. We picked out the male pup that licked our faces the most, and named him Baldor, after the American-made electric motor brand that powers my vintage Ingersoll-Rand Type 30 air compressor.

The early pics in this thread show the race car being towed by an older sand-colored Toyota 4Runner. Baldor wrecked that car. He chewed up the handbrake and generally trashed the interior. But he was still a good traveler, and kept quiet in the car, which is something Grendel could never do. So I took Baldor with me everywhere. Including to Vintage Customs when checking up on the car, where he promptly peed in their office.

I also took him on road trips to my vintage motorcycle races, even when they were in Portland and Utah. It was on the way to a big AHMRA (American Historic Motorcycle Racing Association) meet at Miller Motorsports Park that he ate the 4Runner. While there, his picture made it in a couple of motorcycle racing magazines that were covering the event.

Here he is getting his first ride in the Carrera. And the one that made him famous, the pic of him at Miller curled up on my tool box while I made adjustments on the bike. FYI, that's me in the LeMans start of the bike race (yes, we do that) running to the yellow bike being held by my lovely wife in the green shirt.
Attached Images

post #687 of 764 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here he is, a nutty adolescent trying to get his ears up, on the north fork of the Snoqualmie river on a fly fishing outing. He really enjoys the water.
Attached Images

post #688 of 764 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Although his first exposure to motorsports was motorcycle wrenching and racing, I like to think he developed a taste for the car building and racing scene as well.
Attached Images

post #689 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Baldor died today.

This is one of the last decent pictures I have of him. He'd been declining the last few days, and today he couldn't get himself up, so it was time. Ohh, man. He was such a good boy. My buddy.
Attached Images

post #690 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:48 AM

Garage
Lots of us know how bad it feels to loose a family member, our thoughts are with you.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode