Soooo, I performed an in-situ shroudectomy:
Attached Images

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:25 PM

Garage
C'mon... So how much material was removed, weight loss?

That spica blanking plate looks chunky

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #633 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
...That spica blanking plate looks chunky
Yeah, what's up with that? I'll look into that later. At least it's alyoominium. Speaking of which, here's my stock of metals. That's a Stanley Vidmar cabinet, so each drawer can support about a teaspoon full of dwarf star. Near part of the drawer is all Ti, and far part is the plastics. Steel and Al loosely organized in the middle partitions.

I'm made mention before of my stockpile of Boeing aluminum sheet plate acquired just before Boeing stopped selling surplus to the general public. Well, I collected this mass of metal by similar means and luck from a Seattle metal supplier. They initially sold the Al lengths (even highly desirable 7075 and 2024) for a few buck a pound. Their main business is online orders for specific lengths, and also industrial supply. So the scrap and saw droppings they sold off the shelf weren't a priority.

Then, a few months back, to my surprise and delight, the last few trips I made there they just gave me whatever I wanted for free. So at first it was just few choice pieces, then with subsequent visits I started walking out with literally armloads of free metal; stainless, various flavors of Al, and even a couple pieces of Ti. I took whatever they had. They were just trying to get rid of the band saw droppings before the scrapper or recycler took over. Now, you can't buy the droppings anymore, not even under the table (I tried, even offered beer, because I got to know the guys).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I reflect on my metal supplies because appreciate how nice it is to have what you need, when you need it. I used to have to order bits of material individually for each project, back when I got started doing this stuff for the racebikes some years ago. Same with fasteners, making frequent trips to the hardware stores for what I needed until I finally wised up and stockpiled excellent fasteners in a variety of shapes and sizes from McMaster-Carr.

So for this project, I'm faced with a pulley that not only is too short on the shaft, but has too much thread on the end showing for the stock nut to seat on the pulley body. See how dished that new pulley is? Too deep for the stock pulley nut. I turn to my metal supply to make the shims and spacers I need.
Attached Images

post #635 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Garage
I'll be very disappointed () if you don't notch that with 60teeth for a crank sensor and mount one (Hall effect sensor) in the SPICA flange... somehow.

How many teeth on the original SPICA pulley out of interest?

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #636 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
...How many teeth on the original SPICA pulley out of interest?
18 teeth. No crank-fired ignition allowed. Besides, my Marelli is Plexing with great fortitude!

So, I'm looking at that ridiculous cam pulley nut, and that stupid spacer I had to make for it, and thought why not make my own? I can make a longer nut that accommodates the protuberant shaft without using a separate spacer, and also incorporates a remnant of a sleeve that fits inside the pulley as the stock nut did.

I have a nice length of 2024 Al hex bar, which is pretty strong stuff. I used it to make my timing belt tensioner some time and many pages ago. Certainly, I can't torque down an Al nut as hard as a steel one, but this pulley is lighter, and working less (smaller diameter, no SPICA drive) than the stock unit which is more than 5X heavier. It will be fine when torqued to 90 ft/lbs.

That hex bar is about 45 mm, and I want to retain a 36 mm size. Not only does that size fit with a socket in the smaller pulley, but I don't want to have to buy more large sockets. So I had to shave down the hex by about .100". Drilled, threaded, etc. Installed. Underdriven.

Oh, and I painted that ugly water pump pulley. That's another thing fixed that had been bothering me since the start of this build six or so years ago.
Attached Images

post #637 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:38 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Sorry I did not see this mod earlier ... but if you are going away from standard, throw the V belt in the bin and instead run a toothed belt. You can get alloy pulleys and you don't have to run the belt as tight, saving hp and weight.

Did this to my last club car. V belts are for concours not racing .
Pete
ps: serious weight saving is often done by counter boring the ends of all bolts as that part does nothing, or drilling holes through large bolts ... lots of machining for you .

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 05-19-2015 at 10:41 PM.
post #638 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
ps: serious weight saving is often done by counter boring the ends of all bolts as that part does nothing, or drilling holes through large bolts ... lots of machining for you .
Oh, you mean like this bolt treatment on my KTM SMR? The whole bike is like that. The clutch basket is so drilled out, it looks like a spider's web. In the lower left, you'll see the titanium clutch bleeder screw that I made (has a rubber cap).

I thought about shaving down that pulley nut, but decided to leave some extra meat on it since I knew it would be subjected to an impact wrench.
Attached Images

post #639 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Hi Nader, first of all I want to congratulate you for this superb work you are doing to your spider.

Probably you have thought about this, but I see that the crank pulley is smaller than the original one, while you are maintaining the diameter of the cooling pump pulley, and increasing the diameter of the alternator pulley. As first sight this not make much sense, specially for a race car... or I missed something?

- SNO Director, Spain branch, Barcelona
- '90 2.0 Spider -- '93 164 QV -- '93 155 2.0 TS -- '02 156 2.5 V6 -- '?? FMG 3.8 Project
post #640 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMG_V6_btb View Post
... or I missed something?
First, Doctor, thank you for the kind words.

Second, I do think you missed something.

post #641 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The world's most excellent dipstick.

I had a small oil seep at the base of the dipstick tube. Rather than clamp it down tighter, I ditched it. It gives me an excuse to once again use one of my many used NASCAR titanium valves I have in stock. Remember how I used one as an accelerator stop?

I started by knurling the stem so the oil would cling, maybe making it easier to read.

Then I machined an aluminum cap to fit on the stem, with a nice little recess to seal against the end of the short rubber tube carried over from the original setup that comes off the upper pan's nipple. Press-fit on the stem, and sealed with JB-Weld. That cap's barrel is measured for an interference fit on the rubber tube. That tube is now hose-clamped in place instead of using the original medieval-looking shackle. I hope that fit is tight enough.

I could have threaded the aluminum nipple on the upper pan for a screw-on dipstick, and might do that in the future, but this was easier. I didn't want to deal with Al shavings falling in the sump. If this setup still seeps, I'll be angry, not too surprised, and reaching for another hose clamp.

Weight? Measure for good measure. Then I drilled holes at the perimeter for the retention spring. So the dipstick is actually .4 grams lighter than what's shown on the scale. But I forgot to include the stainless hose clamp that's securing the rubber tube onto the nipple.

I could have cut the valve head down smaller, but I wanted the full glory of Ti down there, and it serves as a heat-sink. The black coating on the valve is DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon). It's of no use in this application beyond bragging rights. Like this: How many titanium dipsticks have that DLC coating? None. There are no other DLC-coated titanium dipsticks in this solar system.
Attached Images

post #642 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Senior TEXAS member

I can't find the words.......That is way, Way , WAY cool!!!!!!

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #643 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I can't find the words.......That is way, Way , WAY cool!!!!!!
What he said

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #644 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM

That's just asking to be singed on the exhaust!!

Robert
post #645 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
That's just asking to be singed on the exhaust!!
Hot tire pressures I check. Hot oil levels I don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode