Pics of a Duetto racer buildup - Page 42 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #616 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

That roll cage!

With that much room between your helmit and the top of the roll cage, If you are concerned with head protection, you should go to weight watchers and kidnap a fat woman and duct tape her between your head and the top roll bar. Maybe Gorilla tape would be stronger.

Why byuld trinkets with titanium when you have 40 lbs of un-necessary tubing in that tall ugly rollbar?

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #617 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
40 lbs? Are you drunk? If I sectioned out 4" of tube from each side of the main hoop, what would that weigh?

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #618 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 PM

Ah! Roll bars! In the early days of SCCA, a roll bar was more cute than functional. Today, the simplest "broom handle" test is hard enough - without a full Duetto windshield, the top of his roll bar has to be pretty high, as the front end of the broom handle rests on the car's hood. They sure are ugly compared to the svelt things we drove in the 60's. I always thought it was so hard to flip a Duetto that you really didn't need one at all......

But I raced bicycles without any helmet back then too.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #619 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
With that much room between your helmit and the top of the roll cage, If you are concerned with head protection, you should go to weight watchers and kidnap a fat woman and duct tape her between your head and the top roll bar. Maybe Gorilla tape would be stronger.

Why byuld trinkets with titanium when you have 40 lbs of un-necessary tubing in that tall ugly rollbar?
On second thought, I'm going to give you a pass on this, Richard. The awkward attempt at humor, outlandish weight claims, and multiple typos suggest you're not in your right mind.

post #620 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Location: Beacon, NY which is in Dutchess County...the Hudson Valley. I'm about an hour and a half North of NYC.
Sounds like the Sliding block set up works!
post #621 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseratiguy View Post
Sounds like the Sliding block set up works!
Yes it certainly does. Increased revs at end of straight is likely due to higher corner exit speed.

Good job
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #622 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:49 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Ah! Roll bars! In the early days of SCCA, a roll bar was more cute than functional. Today, the simplest "broom handle" test is hard enough - without a full Duetto windshield, the top of his roll bar has to be pretty high, as the front end of the broom handle rests on the car's hood. They sure are ugly compared to the svelt things we drove in the 60's. I always thought it was so hard to flip a Duetto that you really didn't need one at all......

But I raced bicycles without any helmet back then too.

Robert
I think attitudes to safety have changed to, or maybe just with some people. I have a friend who at over 50 who started classic racing and he has every safety option possible, so much so that I could not race his car because of clostrophobia (spelling?) and the fact that so little of my body can actually move ... yes I have driven his car around the pits and to his trailer, awkwardly.

If I raced a Spider I would remove the screen and build a hoop in front of the steering wheel and another behind my head. The weight of a roll bar does affect the cars handling a lot because it is so far away from the cars roll centre, but one must build what one feels safe and comfortable with as confidence makes an even bigger difference to lap times.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 05-05-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #623 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Bill. If I ever have a chance to race at Circuit of the Americas, I'll give you a heads up. OTOH, if you're ever in the PNW during a race weekend, shoot me a note and I'll put you on my crew list to get in to the races for free.

Yeah, double guns above is a bit much. Single gun would have sufficed. I couldn't help it, I was relieved of anxiety, overjoyed with results, and my Alfa cup runneth over. At least I had sense enough not to wink with the guns.
Quite an offer thank you, and one I hope to take you up on one day!
(The Circuit of the Americas is an OUTSTANDING course to watch from anywhere and one I hope to run on sometime)

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #624 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
When my older brother's not helping out on the car, he's taking pictures. He snapped this interesting moment when I was up against two unlikely competitors.

The old Corvette, at over 4L displacement, is questionably placed in our small bore class. It's fast as expected in the straights, but slow in the turns, and takes up the whole track. It's one of those cars that has a PR poster next to it in the pits, if you can imagine (which gives me some ideas as well...)

On the other hand, that unassuming little green "Hippie" Sprite is the opposite. It's a momentum car that's driven very, very quickly, usually up front with the Porsches. Mainly because Parker Johnstone is driving it. If I can follow him for a lap or less, I consider myself lucky for the driving lesson.

So there I am, about to pass one and be dusted by the other, destined to complete the remaining laps mostly alone.
Attached Images

post #625 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 AM

Nice pic. You're well positioned on the track. Keep following the faster cars while you learn to take advantage of your car's new capabilities and you'll soon be driving in their group!

Your tall hoop doesn't look so bad on the track.

Keep us informed on how well you push your car!

Robert
post #626 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Parker Johnstone will be joining the Alfa vintage community in the future. He purchased a '66 GTV racecar that is undergoing restoration.
post #627 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

You missed the whole point

Quote:
40 lbs? Are you drunk? If I sectioned out 4" of tube from each side of the main hoop, what would that weigh?
You should cut the whole mess out and have a knowledgable race fabricator build a lighter functional roll cage.

There is no "sectioning" of roll bar tubing.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #628 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If Richard is done perseverating about my cage, we'll move on to the next project...

After completing "sliding block madness," I felt a sense of relief that car development was complete, and that I could finally rest. But that was short-lived. Sometimes I'll just stand there looking over the car, looking for low-hanging fruit to modify. (Careful in my wording, I didn't say "improve.")

A lighter crankshaft pulley looked like an easy enough bolt-on project, so I bought one from England. I was excited by the weight savings which you can see below.

I was a bit discouraged to see that they weren't a perfect match in height; the misaligned pulleys would cause excessive belt drag (parasitic power loss) and fraying of the belt. I forgot to ask when I ordered it if this lighter pulley was compatible with my engine. It's not enough of a deal-breaker for me to send it back, since I'm able to make things like this fit.

I wonder if the difference between the two is because my stock pulley is made to operate a SPICA system, evidenced by the toothed part of that heavy pulley. That SPICA factor will bite me again in the next post...
Attached Images

post #629 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Even though the new pulley stands a bit short, it appears to stand proud when installed for a test-fit. That's because it's not fully seated; it's blocked by that shroud on the front engine cover for the original SPICA belt. Blasted SPICA! Exacting its revenge for my abandonment of that primitive mechanical fuel injection.

Man, that water pump pulley is ugly. It needs attention, too...
Attached Images

post #630 of 764 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM

One easy fix is to set the water pump pulley back a bit to bring it in to line. adjusting the alternator is just a washer or two. Or fit a 1600 water pump. You might even change the front cover....

The smaller pulley looks like the one from my 1600 Duetto engine. It is really nice, 'though you can get a machined aluminum one - I think from Paul Spruel - that is even lighter.

On my Duetto pulley, it suffered from a hairline crack along the keyway. I replaced it twice. Next time I'll get the aluminum one. Your old one looks like it has eaten a few crank seals. That's quite a groove.

Robert

PS - love the alternator tension adjuster. Clearly too much free time and too good at machining.....

Last edited by 60sRacer; 05-19-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode