Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East of Seattle
If Richard is done perseverating about my cage, we'll move on to the next project...
After completing "sliding block madness," I felt a sense of relief that car development was complete, and that I could finally rest. But that was short-lived. Sometimes I'll just stand there looking over the car, looking for low-hanging fruit to modify. (Careful in my wording, I didn't say "improve.")
A lighter crankshaft pulley looked like an easy enough bolt-on project, so I bought one from England. I was excited by the weight savings which you can see below.
I was a bit discouraged to see that they weren't a perfect match in height; the misaligned pulleys would cause excessive belt drag (parasitic power loss) and fraying of the belt. I forgot to ask when I ordered it if this lighter pulley was compatible with my engine. It's not enough of a deal-breaker for me to send it back, since I'm able to make things like this fit.
I wonder if the difference between the two is because my stock pulley is made to operate a SPICA system, evidenced by the toothed part of that heavy pulley. That SPICA factor will bite me again in the next post...
69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit