Pics of a Duetto racer buildup - Page 39 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #571 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I've used PETP in the past and this is pretty hard wearing, as well as slippery, but there are other options out there now which are made to specific blends such as this Nylatron. I have always bought small rods and blocks of surplus stock, so I don't know what full retail prices would be nowadays.

BTW, is there not another way of bonding the liner onto the cast aluminium? I don't much like the thought of the heads of the machine screws snagging on the block when the inevitable wear happens.

Great project ..........

Alex.
Hi Alex. I'll have to look into some of those fancy Nylon formulations. My understanding was that some nylons absorb moisture, and being that I'm in the moistest part of the country, the resulting swollen dimensions may be more than what the close tolerances of the sliding block can handle.

As for attaching the liners to the yoke; the countersunk screw heads will more likely shave the sliding block with wear rather than dig in and snag. Not sure how to bond something slick like UHMW plastic to the alyoominium yoke. Maybe if I unlocked the secret of how Teflon is attached to a frying pan, I'll come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I never use gasket sealant on the inlet manifold of any engine, unless I intend not to run a gasket at all.

Way too much sealant is used on this site, and others, when it is simply not required.
Pete
Agreed! Using it is a lack of confidence in the mating surfaces, combined with overconfidence that the engine will never need to come apart again.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
While buttoning up the intake, I thought there was some play in the Rube Goldberg-designed throttle bell crank that could use some tightening. To my surprise, that fat-headed hex screw takes a fractional size. Who puts that kind of arcane fastener on a metric car?! Luckily, I have a 40 year old set of fractional Allen wrenches for this kind of job.
Attached Images

post #573 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Kinda looks like a Torx fastener to me....

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamm View Post
Kinda looks like a Torx fastener to me....
Nope, just a slightly mangled fractional hex. Stupid fractional...

The engine is all buttoned up. For the first time since fabbing the new exhaust, I drove it kind of hard up and down our 50 yard driveway. It's loud and angry. But tonally good such that even the wife approves. Not sure about the neighbors (they have a Prius).

With that done, I turned my attention back to the sliding block. I put things into place, and was met with good and bad news.

Bad news: It won't fit unless I ditch the filler hole pin that carries the actual sliding block. This cast setup seems made for a plate with the sliding block pin more centrally located on the diff.

Good news: Once I make up another plate with a correctly located pin welded into place, it will fit beautifully as intended. I'll just cut down that Ti pin to become the world's best filler plug. Sniff.

So here's how it would look, except that the assembly is sitting about 2" low, and 2 cm to the left. The car is on jack stands, that bottle jack is just propping up the sliding block. Oh, and I still need to make that fore/aft stabilizing brace.

Sexy! (If you dig an old Alfa sporting an obscure racing part it really shouldn't have)
Attached Images

post #575 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I needed to cut some steel plates for the sliding block brace, so it gave me a chance to use my new plasma cutter. I couldn't pass up a deal on this cheap Chinese unit. Colossal Tech! It was $250, which will pay for itself in one and half jobs considering that the water jet people have a $180/job minimum.

The action shot is me cutting .125" Ti plate. This one's for you, Richard. Ti has that characteristic super bright sparking action that I like. My wife took the picture, and I don't think she was expecting such a light show. I couldn't see her reaction through my welding helmet, but based on the sound of her scampering and cursing, I'd say that she about crapped herself. Sorry, hon.

I'm sloppy with the cuts, lots of dross. Like welding, this will need practice, including getting a feel for the necessary amperage and speed of cut.
Attached Images

post #576 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also did some trimming of the sliding block struts and their mounting pads, so they fit within the shock bracing brackets. That puts the yoke at the center of the differential instead of over the filler plug as I had mentioned earlier. I have to redo the plate and pin arrangement.

This picture is better at showing how the apparatus will fit. BTW, I really like that LED work light. Lots of light, no heat, and only 25W!
Attached Images

post #577 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was up all night, on call at the hospital, and came home for a 3 hour nap before resuming work on the car. It's probably not the best idea to do suspension work on a race car in a semi sleep deprived state. Who knows what horrors await me when I review the day's work tomorrow after getting some rest.

I laid under the car, on the concrete garage floor, and just stared at things. Almost fell asleep right there a few times. I was making decisions where pieces should go, where to drill holes and such. Despite my fatigue, I think I pulled it off and got the sliding block assembly mounted into place.

I didn't stink up the place too badly until I started welding up the brace that limits fore/aft movement of the sliding block's yoke. I got careless, welding without the helmet (but diverting my eyes from the arc), and caught some sparks in my hair. Burning hair stinks! I think I burned my scalp, too.
Attached Images

post #578 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Made another pin for the sliding block. . I'm really impressed with the performance of the cheap unibit drills from Harbor Freight. I gave it a shot because I didn't have a conventional bit that big. Didn't really expect it to make a >1" hole in 1/4" steel plate, but there it is. Then I welded the pin into it from both sides. I'll weld this getup onto the adapter plate that's fitted on the differential.

Also welded on an additional plate to the yoke's bracket. Just odds and ends like that. Still need to grind and shape things, then paint them.
Attached Images

post #579 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've been racing the last few seasons on these 185 Hoosier Speedster tires (on 6X14" wheels). I've had 205 width Speedsters in plastic bags in my dark basement for the last couple years, waiting until I got 7X14" Panasport wheels in the Spider-correct offset (ET 17). These new/old tires still have that excellent pungent smell of fresh rubber. As far as motoring scents go, some people like the smell of gasoline, some like rain on hot asphalt. I like new tires. Look at all that extra rubber I've been depriving myself. All that extra traction...

These 7X14 wheels were hard to source. I've been harassing the nice lady at Spruell about them for the last 6 months, and it seems that this size is not available. As of a couple weeks ago, the US importer for Panasport knew of no future date for more batches in this size. I was on the verge of having custom wheels made for boocoo dollars. Pardon my French.

So when these popped up, I snagged them. 11.5 pounds apiece. Now that I got them, I'm sure there'll be a fresh batch of new wheels shipped to the States in the next week or two. I wasn't sure about keeping the gold powdercoat, I was planning to repaint them in black. But it's really growing on me. Hmm, I'm starting to think of a livery change...
Attached Images

Last edited by Nader; 02-23-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #580 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:08 AM
Platinum Subscriber

You will know if the new/old tires still have grip if you pick up OPR during your next track session. OPR: "Other Peoples Rubber"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
... All that extra traction......
I really enjoy reading about your progress with the Spider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #581 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Gold wheels

Leave the wheels gold, and paint your new roll cage to match.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 02-24-2015 at 05:20 AM.
post #582 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
... I wasn't sure about keeping the gold powdercoat, I was planning to repaint them in black. But it's really growing on me. Hmm, I'm starting to think of a livery change...
Like this, maybe?
Attached Images

1 9 6 6 A l f a R o m e o D u e t t o /1996 Ducati 900SS-SP /1970 Ford Bronco/1951 Nash Ambassador/2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
post #583 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
You will know if the new/old tires still have grip if you pick up OPR during your next track session. OPR: "Other Peoples Rubber"

I really enjoy reading about your progress with the Spider.
Thanks, George! If these new/old tires aren't sticky enough, I may douse them in a home brew of Xylene+Toluene.

I'm hoping there really is a significant benefit to 20 extra millimeters of rubber that would overcome the extra rolling and wind resistance, as well as the extra unsprung and rotational weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Leave the wheels gold, and paint your new roll cage to match.
Dang you, Rick! Stop planting these ideas in my head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopwatch View Post
Like this, maybe?
You reading my mind, Stoppie? I've always admired JPS colors, even as a kid in the '70's. Didn't even know they were cigarettes until later in life.

post #584 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nature vs. nurture

I've been nurturing this car thru its development, but sometimes, nature takes its course.

Such as in fitting these wider wheels and tires to this slim body. I've shared with you all the tools that I've used in this build. Everything from cheap Chinese Harbor Freight, to higher end American Snap-On and German Knipex tools. Now taking it to the next level, I'd like to introduce you all to the ultimate in race car-specific, body working tools.

Behold, the Western Red Cedar. They grow in my front yard, and after having them professionally pruned, I'm left with a varied selection of logs in a diameter appropriate for rolling the fender lips of my race car. The moss is an extra, no-cost feature that perfectly adds additional cushioning to prevent creases in the precious Alfa lines as I carefully roll the fender lips to accommodate the wider tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nader; 02-24-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #585 of 764 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM

Location: On a "hobby farm" in Walla Walla, WA (perfect retirement spot)
Perfect!

Absolutely a Northwest-dweller's solution.

Larry

[I]"It is far better to die at full throttle than live behind a desk" -- Sir Henry Ralph Stanley "Tim" Birkin, winner 1931 Le Mans in an Alfa Romeo[/I]

[B]Past airplanes:[/B] A4Es (not mine, but the Navy let me fly them), Luscombe 8A, Cessna 170A, Piper PA-16, Cessna 180 (half owner of this float plane), Boeing Stearnam with 450 hp Pratt & Whitney, AgCat with 450 hp Pratt & Whitney, Cessna 182 (These last three were owned together -- all banner-tow craft)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode