Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East of Seattle
Having never before had the occasion to remove the rubber isolator blocks from the intake manifold, I now discover that there were no gaskets between them and the manifold. What the H is going on here?!
I didn't have any extra gaskets on hand, and didn't want to delay reassembly to order parts, so I made some of my own. I had material left over from a sheet of custom-cut gasket for one of my race bike's engine side covers. I had that done about 10 years ago, but I never throw anything away. I used a carburetor gasket as a stencil.
While on the subject of gaskets, here's my experience using a gasket adhesive: Back when I reattached the intake manifold after the last time I melted the head (a year and a half ago), I used Gaskacinch adhesive to glue the gasket, both sides, between the intake manifold and the head. So when it came time to remove that manifold, it turned into a herculean task. There was a big freakin' Snap-On screwdriver, cheapass Harbor Freight prybar, and a lot of cursing involved. I really feared that I might crack the thing before taking it off. Even though it's a weak adhesive, there's a lot of surface area on that manifold to hold the glue, and it held on strong. I won't be gluing it together like that again. I wonder if the silicon-based gasket makers (Permatex) would be any worse.
Anyhoo, back to making gaskets. I can think of better things to do on a Saturday evening, but with a glass of cheap cab and in the company of my family, this was a satisfying projectina nonetheless.
69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit