PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Love your work!
+1. Good machinist.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 11-09-2014 at 11:47 PM.
post #513 of 764 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, fellas! I'm just a hobbyist taking matters into his own hands, for better or worse.

Not much to report, even though I've spent hours over the last few days taking advantage of unusually dry (but cold!) weather here in the Pacific Northwest to work on the car in the driveway. I brought it home this offseason instead of leaving it in its trailer at the offsite storage facility (to my dog Baldor's dismay).

Spent a fair bit of time under the car taking measurements of where things need to go for the sliding block. Lots of staring, poking, and pondering. I've concluded that the exhaust system needs to be rerouted, and the fuel pump relocated before I mess with things further. I'll probably do a GTA-style side dump exhaust since the sliding block and it's reinforcing struts will block the usual exhaust route.

I also took a few more bites out of the oil system upgrade project. It's made up of a new homemade remote adapter, Setrab cooler, fresh lines, and Aeroquip fittings. Like I said, this was a pain. Glad it's done. Haven't tested it yet; for all I know, I might have introduced worse oil seepage than before. But for now, I'm going to imagine lower oil temps and a drier engine bay.
Attached Images

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 764 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM

I used to race with a GTA side-dump that was lovely but really really loud. Most tracks today have noise limits that would make that impractical. Be sure to check the rules where you drive.

Robert
post #515 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Robert is absolutely correct about the excessive noise of a side dump GTA exhaust. Which is why I am retaining my magna flow muffler. That means cutting the collector pipe shorter and moving the muffler forward.

But first, I wanted to weld up those holes in the manifold pipes near the head. My engine builder drilled and tapped those to insert temperature probes for when he tuned the engine on a test stand and dyno. I'm not sure what benefit individual cylinder exhaust temperatures would give, since I don't plan to tune each cylinder individually with its own carburetor jets.

Anyway, he plugged those holes with brass screws and then secondarily fastened them with hose clamps. That's been annoying me for the last five years, so I'm glad to be able to finally address it, since I was planning on sending out the reconfigured exhaust for a fresh ceramic coating. A few quick spot welds and some light grinding with sanding, and the problem is done.
Attached Images

post #516 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The old collector pipe was seized with rust onto the end of the header. I destroyed the collector while removing it. Having to remake it, I used the opportunity to use thinner (lighter!) gauge pipe, and reinforce it where needed.

This being my first detailed look at the exhaust system, I was surprised and a little disappointed to see how heavy a gauge of pipe was used for the original setup. I felt like it was unnecessary on a car this small, especially one that's going racing. At the time it was built, I wasn't very involved in the build process of the car beyond writing checks to the pros (a lot has changed since then). If I knew then what I know now, I would've specified things a bit differently. At any rate, I'm glad to now have the opportunity and ability to do it my way.

The rust colored stuff there is weld-through primer. That Magnaflow muffler is a straight through design, effective and quiet enough, but kind of heavy. I may need to address that someday in the future. Maybe fab up my own muffler and get a chance to use all of those titanium shavings I've been saving.
Attached Images

post #517 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With the old exhaust system, my car was relatively quiet. Maybe too quiet. shortening up the system by half might make it a little louder, but to guarantee that I get the volume I need, I decided to fabricate and install a megaphone.

The old exhaust system had several bends to get it up and around the rear axle. Don't need those anymore, so I was able to repurpose a section of bend to point the exhaust out the side. Retaining the muffler will keep the volume from being painful, but I still need to share with the world the beautiful music of an Alfa Nord race engine at full song.
Attached Images

post #518 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhausted!

And here it is, ready to be sent out for ceramic coating. What I haven't shown you are the many hours of fittings and re-fittings, fabricating brackets/hangers, and other little odds and ends.
Attached Images

post #519 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the pieces back from ceramic coating. It was just the header, collector, and megaphone that were treated. They get sandblasted, then coated inside and out. I sprayed the muffler with Rustoleum High Heat spray paint. Perfect match!

This is how it lays out. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get a YouTube video of the noise , I mean, music it makes. I don't know yet myself, it was getting kind of late when I finished buttoning it up. So I haven't run it. It will need a few heat cycles to help the ceramic coating cure.
Attached Images

als alfa likes this.

Last edited by Nader; 12-17-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #520 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Location: On a "hobby farm" in Walla Walla, WA (perfect retirement spot)
Lovely stuff! Looks like art to me.

Larry

[I]"It is far better to die at full throttle than live behind a desk" -- Sir Henry Ralph Stanley "Tim" Birkin, winner 1931 Le Mans in an Alfa Romeo[/I]

[B]Past airplanes:[/B] A4Es (not mine, but the Navy let me fly them), Luscombe 8A, Cessna 170A, Piper PA-16, Cessna 180 (half owner of this float plane), Boeing Stearnam with 450 hp Pratt & Whitney, AgCat with 450 hp Pratt & Whitney, Cessna 182 (These last three were owned together -- all banner-tow craft)
post #521 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Larry. I agree, I think the bundle of snakes look is great. Here are the headers in situ. The finish is satin black. It will probably dull after a few heat cycles. I'm glad to lose those hose clamps. Someday, I'll turn my attention to the top of that ratty looking steering box.
Attached Images

post #522 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I promised a YouTube clip of the exhaust note, and here it is. Unfortunately, the days up here are incredibly short and it got dark by about 3:45 PM. So the quality of the video isn't great. Also, it was raining, so I kept the front open half of the car in the garage which makes the engine noise reverberate. With the hood up, it sounds like a diesel.

Exhaust note now is mellower, and a bit louder as expected. Maybe even angrier than before.

post #523 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Garage
Exhaust note

Sounds very nice
look forward to seeing and hearing it next season

Neil

"Nominum quid geminus?"
post #524 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Location: Beacon, NY which is in Dutchess County...the Hudson Valley. I'm about an hour and a half North of NYC.
Sounds great when revved!
post #525 of 764 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Carbs

The carbs need to be syncronised.....

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode