Pics of a Duetto racer buildup - Page 33 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #481 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM

Nice pics. You are a master machinist! Very nice work!! I especially like the front on view of the car. What's with the 393 number????

Sure liked the "good old days" for roll bar rules. Your's would be a foot or more lower! I know, it's safer. Blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for a great thread!

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the nice words, Robert.

I, too, am growing tired of the awkward looking cage height. When I first had the cage built, I focused more on safety than aesthetics. Now, I'm actually toying with the idea of carefully cutting out the main hoop, right at the welds where it attaches to the other tubes and the floor, and replacing it with another shorter hoop (rules say that hoop has to be uncut and uninterrupted). It would give me an excuse to buy a plasma cutter and a tubing bender. Maybe in the off-season.

I like the #9, but as a race number it was taken when I started racing Spec Miata over 10 years ago. So I took #39 for that. Then I got into vintage motorcycle racing about 8 years ago, and #39 was taken, so I took #393. It stuck and I carried it over to the car. It's a convenient number because no one else has it and I never have to change it if I race (the bike or car) at other venues with other clubs. And it's a palindrome, which makes things even better. You know what other word is a palindrome? The theme to this entire thread: Racecar. How cool is that? Yeah, okay, not really that cool. Kinda nerdy, actually. Carry on...

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
post #483 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
...You know what other word is a palindrome? The theme to this entire thread: Racecar. How cool is that? Yeah, okay, not really that cool. Kinda nerdy, actually. Carry on...
Plenty cool! 'Sides, I like nerdy - been that way all my life. I was labeled "gifted" in second grade, was doing orbit calculations for Sputnik at age 8; Ph.D.in physics from Stanford at 21, then 30+ years as a real "rocket scientist". And a Duetto (and a team GTA) racer while I was still in grad school - that's part of why I like this thread so much!

Nothing wrong with nerdy!!

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I shouldn't have blathered on like that without at least including a picture. So here's one from the Historics over the July 4th weekend (the last race I attended). I've mentioned before that the backside of Pacific Raceways International (PRI) is park-like, and I think this picture does a good job showing some of it. This particular section of track is notorious for chewing up cars. Kind of like the Kink at Road America.

I also like how the picture shows my grid position on this pace lap. As both the car and driver have developed over the last few years, I've gradually clawed my way up from the Sprites and Midgets to the TR4s and slower 356s. Just like on that magazine cover on the previous page. I'd say I'm forward/mid-pack. The front pack is still about 3 seconds a lap faster, so I have a ways to go.
Attached Images

post #485 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 PM

Hmmm. Less than half-a-second per turn. You're in the range where getting one turn really really right will make a difference.

Are you on a parade lap? If not (and even if so - you should use these laps to practice the perfect line) you're way too tight on a very late apex. See the tire marks behind you? That's a better line - way outside of where you are. You should be at full throttle and nearly sliding left before where the (Porche?) behind you is. Brake later than you think is safe, turn in firmly but smoothly, and hit full throttle as soon as you're off the brake - that's how you know you've braked late enough! Let the tail come out just enough - that's tuning the over/under steer - that you almost slide off the track.

Then do that of every turn.

Our cars are really under-powered for the tracks we drive, so you have to be very reluctant to give up speed and momentum. You loose those from too much front tire slip angle - plowing or understeering. Loose rear end does the trick, but it is scary as the tail slides out 'till you "get it" . You instantly worry whether you'll just catch it in time or slide off the track. I always believed that if you don't go off sometimes, you're still under 9/10ths when you want to be closer to 11/10ths.

Any, free advice, worth about what it cost you (uh, nothing).

Have a great time!

Robert

Last edited by 60sRacer; 08-04-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #486 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Cage

Quote:
I, too, am growing tired of the awkward looking cage height.
Hallelujah!

Actually your cage is iffy safety wise. Might work fine in a rollover but any front back stresses will likely bend it at brace level. As to bracing, the driver`s side brace is way too high. Head banging high.

Look at Curtis`s cage in the blue car, the cage in Paul Spruell`s yellow "Old EP car", even mine. Get all the metal possible out of the wind stream.

Outside the "SCCA" cage design is rather open. Their specifications were composed by their 12 attorneys and one bridge engineer with 3 consultants from their insurance carrier..

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #487 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fixed the clock radio. Then I started looking these boat anchors, I mean, steering stops. I have that nice 7075 Al that would probably stand up to the rare abuse of opposite lock.
Attached Images

post #488 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Machining and whatnot...
Attached Images

post #489 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What I really need to do is get serious about doing things to the car that will actually make it faster. Like a rear locating device. I had one of those when I was single, but had to put it away when I got married. I digress.

Anyway, here are the final results for the new steering stops. About a pound lighter for the pair. Nice to have something shiny in that dark wheel well. Speaking of which, there's the end of that Ti steering arm lurking in the foreground.
Attached Images

post #490 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Laps and seat time will make more speed than any hours spent saving a pound here and there!

Robert
post #491 of 764 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Laps and seat time will make more speed than any hours spent saving a pound here and there!

Robert
Agree, but there I'd about 5 seconds a lap to be saved with a redesigned roll cage I'd copy this car: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/moto...71-spider.html
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 08-16-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #492 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post

Robert
I have repeatedly acknowledged throughout this thread that my little titanium and aluminum conversion projects will be of minimal performance benefit, and that I'm doing them just for fun. I weigh the difference out of curiosity.

post #493 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Agree, but there I'd about 5 seconds a lap to be saved with a redesigned roll cage I'd copy this car: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/moto...71-spider.html
Pete
Really, Pete? You think a lower, sleeker roll cage will save me 5 seconds a lap? 5 seconds? Was that an "I'm kidding" emoticon you used? Because I can't tell if you're serious. I might shave 5 seconds with 100 more horsepower, 500 lbs less weight, or 5 more pounds of testicles. But not with a different cage. Jeez.

Do me a favor, stay out of my thread.

post #494 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to re-do my external oil lines to the remote filter and cooler. Currently they're seeping and generally ugly. I made up a new adapter plate by welding -10 AN aluminum bungs to a plate of 3/8" 6061 Al. I set them at an angle away from each other for clearance between the hose ends. I'm hoping I don't have a bunch of pinhole leaks. I'll pressure test it in a bucket of water before I install it.
Attached Images

post #495 of 764 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
Really, Pete? ...Do me a favor, stay out of my thread.
Might want to switch to decaf, pretty sure Pete was messing around...

Really nice work on the remote filter!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode