Nology Hotwires - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to ecohen2
Nology Hotwires

Has anyone tried the Nology Hotwires on a spider? I just ordered some and was curious what the results might be...

Ed

1986 Bertone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

My guess is they will work just as badly on an alfa as they do on everything else. Probably can expect worse performance than stock and frequently burned up ignition coils too. Nology is a bunch of snake oil salesman in my opinion.

Here is somebody elses opinion (copied from another website)

CAPACITOR” EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket

The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a recent manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as “the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor.” Nology’s “HotWires” (called “Plasma Leads” in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their “HotWires.” In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs nullifies the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars — only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology “HotWires” produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there’s monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude “capacitor” (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire’s jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their “HotWires” creating sparks that are “300 times more powerful,” reaching temperatures of “100,000 to 150,000 degrees F” (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of “4 billionths of a second” (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of “1,000 amperes” magically evolving in “capacitors” allegedly “built-in” to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use these wires if not grounded to the engine, as the grounding straps will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or body) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it’s best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists’, resellers’ and installers’ perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I believe that Nology wires work on the same principle as the Turbo Encabulator - see Turbo Encabulator Chrysler Training Video- Video - for a clear explanation of this exciting technology.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM

I used them on my garden tractor and reduced mowing time by half. The turbo encabulator is next!

'86 Spider Quadrifoglio, '01 Audi S8, '01 and '89 Range Rovers, '65 Chevy pick-up, 2 Volvo 940's
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM

I had them installed on my 1983 BMW R100RT motorcycle and ran them for about ninety thousand miles and was quite pleased. That was quite a few years ago now that I think about it. Just my two cents worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'88 Milano 3.0
"65 Ferrari 330
'89 MotoGuzzi Cali 111
'83 Honda XLR250
'05 Prirus
'89 Vixen
'65 Giulia spider Veloce
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here is the update and some more detail.

Two weekends ago I was up at a car show in Maryland and ran into a guy who had these wires on a GTV-6. The car started up instantaneously and idled very smooth. When we were discussing the performance modifications we had both done, he pointed out the Nology HotWires and said they really made a difference.

I did a bunch of research on other club sites and found that most of them had favorable things to say. The one group that had the most trouble were RX-7 owners which I can totally understand based on personal experience with an RX-7.

Last night, I installed the wires and this morning I got to test them on the way to work. The install was not hard at all and these wires DO make a difference, but its hard to describe.

Install:
1. My original wires were in excellent shape, but were also 20+ years old. Taking them off was not difficult, but someone had tangled them up with the wire for the variable timing.

2. In the short term I removed the plastic milk-bottle thing that covers the distributor.

3. Routing the wires is not pretty yet. They look great once they are above the cam cover, but from the distributor to the top of the engine is still kind of a mess. That is not to say the original was any better looking.

4. The connections on the spark plugs and the distributer are MUCH better than stock. This alone I think makes a difference.

Performance:
1. Although my car doesn't start as instant as the GTV-6 it does seem to start faster.

2. IDLE is perfect now. It never misses a beat

3. Power seems about the same as before, although I really didn't have a good test with my short commute.

I plan on taking a good long and hard drive with it later this evening and will update this post with my findings. I also have a G-tech, so ill probably measure my car over the weekend with that and report the results.

Ed

And for the record, the post that Maxwedge and I both found EVERYWHERE about these wires actually originated from the Magnecore website. Funny how a competitor just happened to have a post about this product. It can be found at :

Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors

One other article that I am not sure if its real or not from Alfa Owner: Nology: AlfaOwner

Just to be fair, I would be interested in doing a comparison between the Magnecore and Nology wires if anyone wants to help out.

1986 Bertone

Last edited by ecohen2; 06-10-2009 at 05:06 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Ed,
Couple things. First, I've never used Nology wires and while I have my doubts about them I try to keep an open mind. Who knows, maybe they do work as described.
On your car, the one thing that makes your results questionable is that you replaced 20+ year old wires. They may have looked nice but no way they were really in excellent condition (functionally). Wires deteriorate over time, no way around it and should be replaced as a service item. Now that you have the new Nology wires the real test will be to compare them to another brand new wire set from a different company.
Replacing ignition wires is something I've done for friends on their cars or motorcycles a number of times and in general it makes a major difference as the old wires are usually really old. They just tend to be ignored during a service.
Again Ed, I'm not trying to argue the wires don't work. The only reason I haven't tried them myself is cost, they're just too expensive for me to fool with. I'd love to hear if you feel or notice a difference between the Nology wires and some other good wire set.

As an aside; Over the years I've tried a number of different wire types on various racing motorcycles. None have ever stood out as being better than any others, nothing we can feel. On the bikes I'm currently dealing with we use basic 8mm solid core wire with resistor caps for suppression. Works great. Solid core is chosen for durability as the carbon core wire tends to break up due to vibration but otherwise carbon core works fine too. We replace wires at least once a year, sooner if anything seems off in the ignition system.

Ed

1974 Spider with a 1750 under the hood
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Oh I totally agree. I am going to do a test this weekend with the ground wire connected and disconnected. In theory, those wires are just heavily insulated wires if the ground is not connected. Ill use my g-tech to measure the results...

I got my set of wires very cheap which is why I decided to try them. The only thing I don't like is they are bright yellow.. No choice in that matter...

Ed

1986 Bertone
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Cool, I'll await your results!

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohen2 View Post
Oh I totally agree. I am going to do a test this weekend with the ground wire connected and disconnected. In theory, those wires are just heavily insulated wires if the ground is not connected. Ill use my g-tech to measure the results...

I got my set of wires very cheap which is why I decided to try them. The only thing I don't like is they are bright yellow.. No choice in that matter...

Ed

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Ed, something I just thought about. I've heard that when disconnected the Nology ground shield will spark to ground, and hurt like hell if you touch it. I'm not sure you can do a valid test by just disconnecting the grounds. Don't know, just be careful!

Ed

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

LOL! Thanks for the reminder, I planned on wrapping them up with the engine off. I got zapped a few years ago just by touching one of my old wires while the engine was running.

1986 Bertone
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM

I truly hope they do work for you. But my personal opinion is mostly based running Nology wires on my CRX years ago. It ran worse than stock and burned up two ignition coils within a two week period, after which I changed them back to standard wires and never had a problem after that. Maybe I just should have upgraded the coil too, I dunno? That article was just the first thing I happened to google that supported my opinion, I have no idea who wrote it. Might be total BS crap for all I know.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Update...

I have been running the Nology wires for a couple of weeks and tanks of gas. Last week I ordered a set of the Magnacore wires from IAP. I first did my test this morning with the Nology, brought the car into the garage, swapped out the wires and ran the same test with the Magnacore. Guess what... Absolutely no significant difference...

Both sets of wires are an improvement over the stock, but neither the G-tech or my butt could detect anything of even 1/2 HP difference.

The Nology wires are actually a higher quality and better looking, but are about 3/4 of an inch too long for my taste. The Mangacore wires have a nicer wire that go from the coil to the distributor, but definitely feel cheaper.

Thats about it....

Ed
(I haven't decided which set to sell... Probably the Nology just because I don't feel like swapping back again...)

1986 Bertone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode