Clarion radio harness pin-out confusion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Clarion radio harness pin-out confusion

I just bought a Clarion/Alfa radio from EBAY said to be working. I emailed the seller for help with the harness pin out. I am not sure if he knows the product since he asked me to send him pics. I bought it because is exactly the radio that appears on the 89 brochure for the quadrifoglio. The radio has an Alfa sticker in the back which says part no. 6349. Carefully peeling the sticker I see a Clarion Part No. 5514. The only front Alfa logo in the radio is next to the casette eject button.

Name:  IMG00189.jpg
Views: 6931
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  -Device Memory-home-user-pictures-IMG00191.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  20.8 KB

I called Clarion in California and they found the model number but were very apologetic about not having any info on the radio.

I have had no problem in the past recognizing a radio harness but this one I am no sure of. Plus I did a lot of searching to find this radio and I don't want to be guessing too much (there is always some guessing).

Name:  IMG00186.jpg
Views: 9215
Size:  53.0 KB

This first pic is of a first set of wires coming out of the back.
There is a short red wire. (I think it's the switched power)
There is a blue/yellow wire with an auto/ant label. (That was easy).
There is a blue wire with a fuse box. (Continuous power I think).
There is a yellow wire with a "illumi" label on it (dimming light?)
There is a grey wire which splits into a spade connector and a round connector (?).
There is a green wire which splits into a spade connector and a round connector.

There is a second set of wire harness.
Name:  IMG00188.jpg
Views: 4214
Size:  45.8 KB

The second harness has a connector at the end with six spades. Three on top. Three on bottom.

One pair of green and green/black.
One pair of grey and grey/black.
One black.
One blue (which is part of the connector but not connected to the radio.

I would appreciate the help from anyone who has ever seen this arrangement.

Thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Maybe a "Papajam" wiring diagram would help.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-diagrams/

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Well, so much for that. The cassette player is getting what seems to be the Automatic Gain Control (AGC) defect syndrome. Plus, the head does not come down or the wheels turn. I tried hooking up the IPOD to the pre-amp inside and it does work. But the AGC makes the music start soft, quickly raise it to a cut-off point and back to zero. It keeps doing this in a cycle of about 3 seconds. I have no idea how to fix that AGC. I think it's not just a device to replace but a circuit to troubleshoot. Lost 100 bucks there.

Just for future reference. When you open up the radio, there is a circuit to the side of the cassette player (right). It is labeled "pre-amp head unit". There are three pins labeled "R", "L" and the third one which is ground. If you take your headphones and cut the speakers out, you'll see two pair of wires.

Two of them are common ground (use a tester), the other two are left and right speaker.
Satur them in place and you can play your ipod while the tape is in.

The only problem is any noise coming from the cassette itself and mixing to the output at low volume. The solution is to look at the circuit to the left of the cassette player. In my case there were 6 wires. From right to left: blue, green, yellow, (empty slot), brown, red, black. The blue and yellow are connections to a microswitch in the back of the board. If you take a small screwdriver and press the micro-switch, you can see how the head turns from FM to Cassette. The idea is to satur a pair of wires to this connection. Inline if the switch is normally closed, or in parallel if it is normally open. Run this wires outside and hook them to an unused switch on your dash unit. To run your ipod you would push the switch to bring the radio to tape mode.

My next step. Try to find another radio (89 quadrifoglio). working hopefully. Or maybe find someone who knows how to fix something like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode