stabilizer bar end link 'nubs' - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

stabilizer bar end link 'nubs'

Has anyone else had a problem with these being too small? I measured mine at 12.05mm diameter approx....but the ID of the bushings is 12.1mm.

What is the solution, other than getting a stabilizer bar that is more normal?

Would a bit of JB weld smeared between be strong enough? I think that stuff has a shear strength of about 3ksi, but I'm not so sure that would be enough to hold....

I found some references with the 'search' button, but nothing that really addresses the issue...

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I had the same problem with the aftermarket bushings. Both the sway bar endlinks and trailing arm bushings were too small. I got genuine Alfa spares and that resovled the issue.

I've heard others use JB Weld or even a couple of tack welds to hold them in place.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:21 PM

?

Could you post a picture of what you are talking about? Who sold you the parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 05:30 AM

I had the same problem. I think I got the bushings from Centerline. I made a slight deformation of the outer end of the bushing sleeve at about 4 places with punch prior to installing them to make a slight interference fit. I did not measure mine but before I deformed them I could easily twist them on by hand.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

This is probably the most frustrating part of working on my Alfa. It seems like half the time I order parts, they don't fit or work correctly. It drives me crazy. I can't even quantify the amount of time I've wasted because of ill-fitting components. With all the similarities between the model years of these cars, it's amazing that the aftermarket parts suppliers can't get it right.

Just venting now...I'm taking the whole thing over to Stewart at APC today to measure OEM bushings and see what will fit. This 'kit' from Centerline is not turning out to be such a value after all, considering the trailing arm bushings are not useful, and now the stabilizer bar bushings don't fit either. I think I paid $200 for limit straps and the t-bar bushing.

Grr..

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6 (3.5l), 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1 (500+hp Haibeck-built 32v 5.7l)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Add another to the list. I installed a new sway bar from Allan Dean with poly bushings from Performatek. The bushings just slid on (and off). I called Andy and he said that there is a lot of variation and he has had them made smaller. He sent me a new set of bushings no questions asked.
Unfortunately, these too were too loose and would slip off. I had the car in the shop and my mechanic looked at it and put some "bushing maker" kinda stuff on them. They are holding tight since.

92 Spider Veloce
71 TwinSpark Spider - Soon to be 4 Sale
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb
This 'kit' from Centerline is not turning out to be such a value after all, considering the trailing arm bushings are not useful, and now the stabilizer bar bushings don't fit either. I think I paid $200 for limit straps and the t-bar bushing.
This is precisely why I will not buy aftermarket parts. I got swaybar bushings and trailing arm bushings from two sources, neither being Centerline. They were the same crap. Those ended up in the trash and I bought OE parts from AFRA. I paid a lot more than the aftermarket ones. But, it was well worth the money to have something that fit right.

The first time I got the aftermarket trailing arm bushings, I called the place I got them from to complain about the poor fit. Appearantly, at that shop, it is a known issue. They wanted me to measure their diameter and call them back so they could find me some that fit. BAH!

Brian __________________________________

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm having them installed as I type, just called mechanic and he said they had to be pressed in, but fit well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Glad I got the tip

I was considering the bushings, and thanks for the heads up. I went through a frustrating experience twice with the window winder I got. I wasted a lot of time shortening the cabling to make it work. I jammed a window in the process, and had to go through taking it all off. It's really disrespectful of the customers time, regardless of "we'll send another one right away." Bah is right.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Well I have an update, and credit where credit is due. I took the sway bar to Stewart at APC, and we measured the bar and bushings, and compared them to the real-deal OEM bushings. Basically, the OEM bushings are a bit tighter, but they still slide off and on. There's no more than 0.05mm difference in the ID of the aftermarket polyurethane bushings and the OEM bushings. So in the end, it's not Centerline's product that is all wrong--it's my sway bar!!

Stewart didn't like the idea of using JB Weld, and recommended Loctite instead. Seems reasonable--Loctite will fill better, whereas JB Weld may get a squished around and not be where it's supposed to be. I imagine over time that the two components will bond together anyway---the gap is less than .5mm on a side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode