Radio Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Radio Removal

I have a 1988 Veloce. On a previous post it was said the radio could be removed by inserting a long thin rod into the holes at the four corners of the radio and the radio would pull out. I have tried this several times with no success. Do you have to fashion a tool to push in the holes simultaneously or what am I missing ? I have tried to pull the radio out and am afraid of breaking something if I pull any harder.

Thanks - Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, you need to push something into all four holes simultaneously.

The official tool is available at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-I0bcyzU...earch=din+tool

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the tool. I fashioned a tool from a coat hanger but still no luck. I'm sure it is going in all the way but the radio will not come loose. Any other advice ?

Thanks - Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Terry and Gubi,

The tool for pulling the Alfa radios of that era is similar, but not the same as the universal DIN tool sold by Crutchfield, etc. The Alfa tool (on top in the photo) seems to hold the head unit much tighter than the universal tool.

Remember, these radios are "pull-out" decks, meaning the whole deck was designed to be pulled out of the car and taken with you to prevent theft. If they haven't been removed in a while, they can be stuck pretty good. The Alfa pullers also functioned as a carrying handle.

Once you pull the deck out, there is still a standard DIN sized frame you'll need to remove by bending the tabs down, and then you can unplug the wiring from the back of this frame and install your new deck.

Joe
Attached Images

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:22 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Fair enough, Joe, but I can tell you I've got that exact same radio in my '87 Milano and it comes out easily with a pair of bent wire hangers. A set of appropriately sized wood nails always worked for my Spider (you only need to instert something about 1-2" to get it to release).

I know the Milano came with the "pull out take with you" deck, where the radio slots into a plug on the mounting frame. My S4 Spider came with a traditional radio where you need to manually pull the plug out of the back. I'm not sure which version the '87 Spider came with, but both versions seem to remove pretty much the same for me.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and pictures Joe. Are the ends of the Alfa tool flat ? I found the tools pictured at the bottom at a local parts store. I bought them but they are not working either. Right now I'm trying to get the radio out so I can see of the inline fuse is blown. The radio will not come on. It worked fine when I put the car away for the winter. If anyone has had a similar problem with the stuck radio let me know how you resloved it.

Thanks - Terry
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Right now I'm trying to get the radio out so I can see of the inline fuse is blown. The radio will not come on. It worked fine when I put the car away for the winter.
I think your problem is not a blow fuse rather that the radio needs to have its security code input.

These radios have a 4 digit security code that needs to be entered whenever they are disconnected from electricity. If you're lucky it is written in the owner's manual or with some of your other records.

Joe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

When I took the car out of storage I input the security code and had intermittent power then nothing. I'd like to install a CD player and power antennae so I'm back to getting the radio out. Are the ends of the Alfa tool flat ? Again, any suggestions from anyone on how to get this thing out.

Thanks - Terry
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone help with this? I've tried the universal DIN tool and no luck. What is the difference in the Alfa tool ? Are they avaialble ? Getting frustrated, no music!

Thanks - Terry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 AM
GTD

Terry
PM or e-mail me with your address. I'll send you the tool. Most any used car lot/garage would have a selection of these. The ***/FORD/others cars of the 80's all used them.

I suspect your problem is the tabs have been bent or distorted to the point that the tool isn't fully releasing them. Your welcome to try though!

Alfa Sapiens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode