Duetto Restoration Progress - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Duetto Restoration Progress

Greetings:

Proud papa here, wanting to share our white '67 Duetto with the spider forum. This afternoon she was rolled out of the barn, given a few laps up and down the driveway, and placed into the garage. Only glitch was that the clutch had hung up over the long hibernation. A dozen short burst of the starter while in gear snapped it free. Hope to have it registered and aligned, then run her up to the CT chapter breakfast this coming Sunday.

I have put up a short photo album of the restoration for those interested.

'67 Duetto Restoration (short)

- Michael
Attached Images

Explore our Alfa Family at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and BB threads about Transcontinental Alfa Road Trips:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, &
. &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Looks GREAT!

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Very, very well done. The red interior looks awesome. Congratulations. Please join the Alfa Romeo Spider Register by Wille R.

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, pi Duetto!.[/B]
My [B][COLOR="Red"]Duetto sites [/COLOR][/B]
and the [B][COLOR="Red"] Duetto Register [/COLOR][/B]
and
[B][COLOR="Red"] Duettoinfo [/COLOR][/B]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wille R. View Post
Very, very well done. The red interior looks awesome. Congratulations. Please join the Alfa Romeo Spider Register by Wille R.
Thanks for the kind words. Most of the kudos for the seats goes to World Upholstery, who supplied the kits. Most helpful were their carpet & leather samples. The door cards were rebuilt with new boards, but the coverings are original with SEM vinyl paint.

- Michael

, &
. &
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintos View Post
Hope to have it registered and aligned, then run her up to the CT chapter breakfast this coming Sunday.
Michael,

The Duetto looks great! I look forward to seeing it Sunday morning.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM

What a beautiful Duetto! Easy to see why you're a proud papa!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Greetings: Progress update here. Momentous occasion. I drove her 30 miles round trip to the DMV today. handles pretty well, especially considering I have not had an alignment done yet. The 1750 has been starting right up and is running strong. I did keep to the side roads and avoided the parkway to keep the speed (and recovery risk) down.

Only concern is that the clutch is slipping a bit more than appropriate. Can I hope that that will heal itself after a few hundred miles?

- Michael

, &
. &
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Only concern is that the clutch is slipping a bit more than appropriate. Can I hope that that will heal itself after a few hundred miles?
What is the history of the clutch? Newly replaced? Unknown age?

Few things heal themselves. One of your earlier posts mentioned that the clutch disk had stuck to the flywheel/PP, and that you had to break it loose. This happens due to rust, and I suppose it's possible that residual rust has lowered the coefficient of friction between the disk and the metal parts. If so, regular use may abrade off the rust, and restore the grip.

But, if the clutch is old, then no, it won't heal itself. Check that the hydraulics are allowing it to fully engage - the throw-out fork should have some play when the pedal is at rest. Beyond that, you may just need a new disk.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
I found my 38 year-old clutch was slipping badly after a similar layoff when I pulled out in front of a fast moving 18 wheeler to pass a slow-moving minivan on the motorway. Nice double clutch downshift, and nice high revving, but no acceleration until I backed off on the throttle and it started to catch. Then I got the 18 wheelers air horns. Embarrassing. On only surface roads up until then. It only got worse and worse over the next day until I thought it might not make it back to the shop. Got a new one, TO bearing, etc.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 11-19-2008 at 05:21 PM.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 PM

Great looking Duetto; I love the red interior!
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Great color combo! One of the few cars that I actually like to see in white!
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Congratulations! She looks great especially with the dimple nose.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
What is the history of the clutch? Newly replaced? Unknown age?

Few things heal themselves. One of your earlier posts mentioned that the clutch disk had stuck to the flywheel/PP, and that you had to break it loose. This happens due to rust, and I suppose it's possible that residual rust has lowered the coefficient of friction between the disk and the metal parts. If so, regular use may abrade off the rust, and restore the grip.

But, if the clutch is old, then no, it won't heal itself. Check that the hydraulics are allowing it to fully engage - the throw-out fork should have some play when the pedal is at rest. Beyond that, you may just need a new disk.
Greetings Alfajoy:

As you noted, we did need to pop loose the clutch face. The engine/transmission may well have been sitting for 10 years prior to my purchase of the car. I now nothing of the history of the drive train, save that the original 1600 had been replaced with a 1750 by the first owner sometime in the mid 70's.

The rebuild of the 1750 was limited to having the carbs rebuilt and re-jetted by AlfaSport. I replaced the generator with an alternator, and added the EFI we won at the 2007 Convention. So it is quite likely that the clutch is shot. It has the original mechanical clutch linkage, and I have fiddled with that to insure it was not the issue.

The 1750 is not long for life in the Duetto, as I have the OMG's 1600 to swap in along the way. So that process will be the next move. I will rebuild the clutch prior to dropping the 1750 into the '71 GTV that is my next project.

In the meantime, I hope to get a little joy out of the Duetto. When the engine comes out, she goes back into restoration and gets an external media blast and repaint. With the economy as it is, that may be a while yet.

- Michael

, &
. &

Last edited by Cintos; 11-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by etip View Post
Great looking Duetto; I love the red interior!
Greetings All:

I spoke with the first owner shortly after buying the car in May of 2007. He told me that it was his intention to get a white/black combination. Surprise! It showed up as white/Red, and it quickly grew on him. So it was easy for me to respect the original colors.

I am very pleased with the seat kits from World Upholstery. Nice supple leather, which is a departure from purity of the original, but I'm fine with that.

- Michael

, &
. &
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
The engine/transmission may well have been sitting for 10 years prior to my purchase of the car. I now nothing of the history of the drive train, save that the original 1600 had been replaced with a 1750 by the first owner sometime in the mid 70's.
Oh, this is a mechanical clutch car! So, if the 1600 --> 1750 conversion was done by bolting the 1600 flywheel to the 1750 crank, then the car still has the small clutch. That thing is sized OK for a 1300 - 1600, but is stressed pretty hard by a 1750. So between its age, and the torque it has been handling, I'm not surprised that your disk has given up the ghost.

Quote:
When the engine comes out, she goes back into restoration and gets an external media blast and repaint. With the economy as it is, that may be a while yet.
Media blast? Gee your paint looks OK in the pictures. If you are going to strip it, you will need to disassemble EVERYTHING. Not that I'm arguing against it, but media blasting implies a 100.0% restoration. Another strategy would be to just replace the clutch disk, and have fun with it as-is.

I too like the white/red combination. But, if you want my opinion, the red steering wheel cover is a bit "hot dog" - I'd stick with the stock black plastic rim, or if that is cracked, a black cover..

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode