S2 Interior Rearview Mirror--how to tighten?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Davy13
  • 1 Post By Tom Frasca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

S2 Interior Rearview Mirror--how to tighten??

Does anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror stalk (mine has the electrical map lights) so I can tighten the screws behind it which hold it to the windshield frame? Mine is a mat black color and the screws are loose, so it hangs. I cannot figure how to twist it or turn it so it pops off from a grey insert that holds it against the windshield framing. I am writing concerning the stalk of the mirror, not the mirror which swivels on the stalk. Somehow this must come off, so the screw heads can be reached and tightened. Then I imagine it is fitted back on the grey backing plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Ya just gotta grab it and it will break off like a leg 'o turkey.

It takes a bit of a leap of faith, but grab it as though you are reaching into the car from the top, so that your fingers are under the stalk, and firmly 'break' it upwards, using the top of the windshield as the 'fulcrum.' This is how it works on my S2 (I have the light in mine). When it comes loose, it will be with enough force for you to think that it literally broke off, but have no fear. It simply snaps back into place, as well. It seems barbaric, but that is how it works... With the lights, a pair of needle nose pliars will allow you to 'unplug' the wires... I would take this time to disassemble the mirror, and wipe clean the mirror, glass, etc. They really clean up nicely.
Tom Frasca likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Garage
When you go to snap it back in place, don't just try to press it onto the snap, which could flex and crack the windshield (the PO of my car did just that). Have the top open, and squeeze the mount back into place from both sides.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Davy13 & Farce,
You were both very descriptively accurate and the stalk snapped off the circular mount correctly using your method (upward pull like a turkey leg). Yes it is a leap of faith. Screws holding mirror to windshield frame are accessed underneath and easily tightened. I greased the circular mount stubb before attempting reattachment. We will see as summer sun heats the stalk whether I get any seepage of grease. I didn't want to break the windshield reattaching the mirror.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 AM

I'm no doctor, but I always felt the mirror removal/replacement was probably similar to popping in someone's dislocated shoulder. Either it works without a hitch, or it really, really fouls things up. Glad it worked OK for you, though...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I was very very concerned since the driver side screw was about 1/4 inch loose and I was thinking I would create the moment around the screw back and windshield mount, twisting the screw through the sheet metal. But, it went just like you stated. I am taking it off again so I can photograph how it looks. I will post the photo here for future mirror-venturers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

See photo of mirror disassembled
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 AM

Me 2

Thanks for this info, the rearview mirror was driving me crazy, and I could not find the way to remove, after this article I fixed it in 20 minutes. Thanks Davy13
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM

My wires were cut as well. Were bullet connectors used to plug into the back of the mirror? Anyone have a picture? Lucas type or something else?

Last edited by 6alfas; 02-26-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
hmmmm...
Attached Images

divotandtralee likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:47 AM

FWIW.. the mirror is designed (almost all cars of the era) that way as a safety feature. If you really are afraid of messing with it and breaking something drive on down to your local windshield guy and slip him a couple scratch tickets to take it off and put it on. They all are attached in the same manner.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
FWIW.. the mirror is designed (almost all cars of the era) that way as a safety feature. If you really are afraid of messing with it and breaking something drive on down to your local windshield guy and slip him a couple scratch tickets to take it off and put it on. They all are attached in the same manner.
I have no problem taking it off, just need to know what the connectors look like before I put it back on.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post

My wires were cut as well.

Were bullet connectors used to plug into the back of the mirror? Anyone have a picture? Lucas type or something else?
I used uninsulated butt connectors to plug into the mirror: crimp each cut wires into one end of a butt connector, and leave the other end of each connector free - it is the right diameter to plug into the mirror "jacks".
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I have no problem taking it off, just need to know what the connectors look like before I put it back on.
like the mirror above, in post #7, I'd say, so bullet connectors.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Anything that "new" were probably spade connections... Lucas wiring was long gone from Alfa after the Giuliettas. All the light connections on my '73 are spade... even the Carello and Altissimo.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-27-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode