Headlight cover install for S3 & S4 Spiders - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

Garage
What a beautiful installation! It's also the only conversion I've seen that will allow the bulbs to be changed fairly easily.

[B]'91 Spider Veloce[/B]

[I]"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do."[/I] - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farace View Post
Mike, did you find a used pair of Euro headlight buckets, or did you shell out for new ones?
I found a used set on Ebay. Keep an eye out, they come up from time to time and usually aren't too expensive.

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Cool you had all the stuff there then.

It was all so extremely well executed that I couldn't quite figure out why there (seemed to be) a shortcut with mounting the buckets. LOL

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgtc View Post
Gubi: The old style buckets have a plastic knob on the back end of the adjustment screw. So the lights are adjusted just as you would a Duetto. Downside is you have to remove the inner fender to do it.
Good deal - I did not know that. It's not something you have to do very often, fortunately.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgtc View Post
There is an inner bracket on the S3 that you can't see in the picture. It has a flange that I was able to use for the upper mounts. And I did use the inner fender bracket as my lower mount. The lights are very secure.

Good job.

Do you have a picture that shows the system you use to support the lights?
andrewhorning likes this.

Carlos
Alfa Spider Veloce 2.0
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry to tell you this, but on my forth marriage and my prior two Alfas did not survive the divorces. This wife just ignores my fettish. Good luck with restructuring your life!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM

I think you have done a marvelous job. It clearly is beyond my capability but I love that you were able to do it. Thanks, Joe
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 PM

For most of these, Pinifarina made the rear mount and the factory modified for US front mount.

There is a trim ring - smaller in diameter than the inner curve of the fairing - that goes around the front mounted USA version so if you can find them you can use the original mount.

For the rear mount - Euro - the same headlight assembly fits. The rear cover is made in two pieces, with the inner piece a part that gives access to change the headlight bulbs - H3's IIRC (or H1's?). BTW - if you get the Carello (euro) or Cbie headlights, you can use H3 bulbs instead of the dorky US sealed beams.

To aim the lights from the rear mount, you have to modify the aiming screws so that you can fit a screwdriver into them from inside the wheel well; then you can aim them from the rear.

The inner wheel well cover should have a large round door with a screw or two that can be removed to access the headlights.

I've had trouble adjusting the lights without removing the wheel. Makes aiming them hard. What I do is set the car level 25 feet or so from a smooth white surface (garage door?). turn on lights and measure where they are pointed. Should be straight ahead with a sharp horizontal cutoff, with the beam rising to the right. Mark where this beam should be and measure the difference. Then remove the wheel and access the adjustment screws. Now turn on the lights again and mark where the beam is, and again where it should be, then adjust to correct.

Some of our suppliers have a stainless (or chrome?) ring that fits over the raw body edge around the light opening.

Good luck

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode