M10 X 1.0 X 65mm bolts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
M10 X 1.0 X 65mm bolts

The GSPM calls for M10 X 1.0 X 65mm bolts to used in a number of places, but only 2 L.O.B.O M10 X 1.0 X 65mm bolts came with my 64 Giulia Spider.

As my Abnormale won't lose any sleep over non-LOBO bolts being used, the problem is I can't find any such bolts for sale. While I would prefer SS or white zinc, I've consulted the usual suspect and found none in any finish.

I could substitute M10 X 1.25 X 65mm in place of the OEM size bolts and be done with it, but just wondered if there is a little-known source for these puppies.

Perhaps, someone has extras I could pick up.

Thanks,

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 PM

Pretty close here, perhaps you can cut 70 mm bolts.

Do not use stainless steel bolts for any application requiring strength; a quality A2-70 SS fastener is not as strong as a grade 2 bolt.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV; 1982 GTV6 Balocco #194
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Yves,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought of cutting off some 70mm bolts, but hoped I could locate the 65mm ones.

If I can't come up with any in a couple of days, it's drag out the angle grinder and go after it.

Thanks,

Ray

'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 05-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
My go to fastener shop carries a huge selection of metric fasteners. You could email your request and see what they have. You'll also need so specify whether you want grade 8 or grade 10.

https://www.aaametric.com/

If you have an Ace Hardware or a Jax nearby, you could pop over and see what they have.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 AM

Ray,
Aren’t these the 3 screws that attach the steering idler to the siderail?
You don’t really have an option to using fine thread there.
Are they used any other place?

Joe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Joe,

Right you are about the idle box, but the GSPM calls for them when mounting the disc brake calipers, as well.

Got any extras?

Thanks,

Ray

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Brian,

Great source, but nothing longer than 60mm.

It seems that cutting some 10M X 1.0 X 70mm bolts/screws is my only recourse.

Has anyone tried one of those deburring tools that's all-the-rage on YouTube?

Unibur has one for $80-$90; way too steep for a tool that I'll use on really rare occasions.

Thanks,

Ray

Last edited by Raimondo; 05-30-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:05 PM

Ray,
Sorry, I don’t have any extra 65 mm screws.
Looking at my 750 idler arm bracket, it is drilled tapped deeply enough to accept the additional 5 mm length of the available 70 mm screws.
Take a close look at both your idler and brake caliper, you may find that you can use the 70 mm screws without any issues.
Alternatively, if you want to pursue it, a google search for M10x1x65 brings up a couple of German fastener sources for these screws by the piece. Shipping will be more than the parts, I’m sure.

Joe
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Brian,

Great source, but nothing longer than 60mm.

It seems that cutting some 10M X 1.0 X 70mm bolts/screws is my only recourse.

Has anyone tried one of those deburring tools that's all-the-rage on YouTube?

Unibur has one for $80-$90; way too steep for a tool that I'll use on really rare occasions.

Thanks,

Ray
The way I learned to shorten screws is to put a nut on the screw and thread it on past where you want to cut. Make the cut, de-burr, then unscrew the nut. The nut should clean up the threads.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Unhappy

Joe,

Thanks for the input on the drilled & tapped holes of the idler bracket. While I have a phobia of modifying (or trying to modify) any Alfa part, I think this just might just be something that I would consider; again, maybe not.

Right you are on the Brit/Euro bolt connections. I found a source in GB, but it would have been cheaper to fly over and pick them up, rather than have them shipped via DHL!

It was going to cost me more than USD 220 to have a 4lb cam cover shipped from SA via DHL!

The search continues...

Ray

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Brian,

That's a great tip and I have done that in the past, but not on the resto of my Giulia Spider. Even though it's an Abnormale (dual Webers, aluminum plenum top and bottom and reworked air filter canister),. I've tried to follow the GSPM as much as possible and use exactly what's shown in the parts listings.

It's probably become more of a pride thing, ("See, I managed to source this or that, after all!") to my own detriment.

If no one offers any or I can't source them online in the next day-or-two, I'll just get some 70mm bolts from the Bolt Depot.

Ray

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:00 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Brian,

That's a great tip and I have done that in the past, but not on the resto of my Giulia Spider. Even though it's an Abnormale (dual Webers, aluminum plenum top and bottom and reworked air filter canister),. I've tried to follow the GSPM as much as possible and use exactly what's shown in the parts listings.

It's probably become more of a pride thing, ("See, I managed to source this or that, after all!") to my own detriment.

If no one offers any or I can't source them online in the next day-or-two, I'll just get some 70mm bolts from the Bolt Depot.

Ray
I looked through all of the nuts and bolts I stole off derelict Alfas and I have nothing. I would put an ad in the classified section for the specific screws you are looking for. If they are some sort of suspension "bolt", then say just that. Someone is holding out. :-)

Like you, it would pain me to hack a screw. I would want the right part.

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode