CA smog check for out of state Spider, no specs? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

CA smog check for out of state Spider, no specs?

Moved to Southern CA, Palm Springs area, need ‘88 Graduate smogged for CA registration. Local shop tells me that, not being a California car, there is no manufacturers sticker to indicate specs, siad I may have to go to a “referee”. Huh?
Anybody know of an Alfa experienced shop that could handle this in my area? Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

In theory the car has to be CA compliant, but there were not separate CA and 49-state cars in 1988 as there were in the late 70s. Does the plate on the door jamb say meets Calif and Fed emissions standards? If so it should be OK to test, assuming all equipment is in place and it passes on the machine. Maybe find another smog guy?

Andrew
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Andrew. The plate in the door jamb only refers to compliance with safety and anti-theft standards, no mention of emissions compliance. The car was sold new in Pennsylvania, and i had it registered in New Jersey for the last 15 years, where it was exempt because of age. Unfortunately, California goes back to 1975.
I did stop today at a local classic car auction house, and they referred me to a smog facility that they use; they actually called him and he said there should not be a problem. I’ll go there next week. Wish me luck!
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Yup, '75 and up needs to be smogged.

When my '74 was still smog required I would take it to APC here in the OC and the chap there would get it running right and get it smogged for me...
Suggest you talk to him, although I think the Son is running the shop now.... its a lovely drive over, especially if you cut cross country along the 74 Ortega Highway.

Red 1974 Spider (Restoring!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 1974 Spider (Sold 12/2016)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Why register in California at all?

Why do you need to get it registered in California? Why don't you register it in some more car friendly state that permits out of state registration?

Seems to me that you are handing the state government of California a hammer so they can hit you on the head with it.

Bye
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
Why do you need to get it registered in California? Why don't you register it in some more car friendly state that permits out of state registration?

Seems to me that you are handing the state government of California a hammer so they can hit you on the head with it.

Bye
California plugged that loophole decades ago. It was common in the '80's & '90's to register a car in Nevada or Montana and use it in Californa.

The CA DMV has made registering an out of state car much easier than it was even a few years ago. They are not so much the bureaucratic dunderhead that they use to be. And my local DMV staff love Alfas.

BTW, the registration fee is based on the dollar amount listed on a bill of sale (BOS) you show them for the car. The clerk said nothing earlier this year when I showed them a BOS that stated that I paid "$15,200" for a recently restored 1974 GTV daily driver. As the clerk said, "....I'm not an appraiser, I'll take your word for it".

Just don't tell them that you bought you Alfa on BAT as one guy did. His clerk looked up the price he paid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode