neat way to remove valve guides - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb neat way to remove valve guides

from the combustion chamber, get a 10 mm tap and tap onto the valve guide, get some nice threads in there, about 10 mm will do.. then get a bolt of the same treading that you just taped into... now from the cam side, get a punch about 8 mm( diameter ) will do. slide it into the guide and with a hammer just drift it out.. nice and clean this way you will not be hammering on the guide itself( poss.) putting a slight ' mushroom ' in the guide itself. and damaging the head as you drift it out that way.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Nore bad advice

What you described will "Broach" the head bores for the guides. Leaving next installation loose.

Head has to be hot, then chill the guides (Chill each with a shot of 134A freon ) and drive out from the port end (tapered so no Mushroom issue.)

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

what ' ever ' you say....when i leared of this.. at motor machine shop and rex hutchison racing.. call them.. i first posted this little help about 3 years ago.. no note from you at that time.. and it only takes a few ' taps' to take it out.. you try it.... and my new 7 mm valves and matching valve guides.. i set the head out in the summer sun.. frozen co2 let the guildes sit in that stuff for an hour..or so.. tapped them in to spec.. guess what....they are still in there..my gawd.. how is that possable...

Last edited by bianchi1; 09-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks Richard.
I agree on the port end.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

posted 04.23.07.2250 hours. no statements then?

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Old addage

Quote:
what ' ever ' you say....when i leared of this.. at motor machine shop and rex hutchison racing.. call them.. i first posted this little help about 3 years ago.. no note from you at that time.. and it only takes a few ' taps' to take it out.. you try it.... and my new 7 mm valves and matching valve guides.. i set the head out in the summer sun.. frozen co2 let the guildes sit in that stuff for an hour..or so.. tapped them in to spec.. guess what....they are still in there..my gawd.. how is that possable...
"God looks after fools and idiots"

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

"God looks after fools and idiots"

and grumpy old men !
;^)

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

man.. i turn 53 next month.. hope i do not become a grumpy old man... try not too be 'set' in my ways.. allways learning new stuff. eyes wide open

Last edited by bianchi1; 10-01-2012 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
man.. i turn 53 next month.. hope i do not become a grumpy old man... try not too be 'set' in my ways.. allways learning new stuff. eyes wide open
Too late for me. I'm not set in my ways but I sure am grumpy.

Brian __________________________________

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When you've done a lot of engines, you realize that not all come apart or go together the same. Thus, it is usually best to use the most certain techniques to avoid ruining critical parts. One can often get away with short cuts, and I've used many of them. I've also created some interesting hangar-wall artwork prior to reverting to more proven techniques.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

dperterson3.. what is that flower thing in your header...?

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

watch more ' futurerama' be less grumpy.... even 'bob's burgers' cool show..i like the little girl with the pink rabbit ears...

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM

I'll chime in here...

Its been nearly ten years that I've been hanging around this BB. Advice I've gotten here has helped me many times. Even though Bianchi doesn't know how to spell or use spell checker (peace, Bianchi!), and all of us don't know each other, I still find useful information about keeping my beloved Alfa Romero running. (Not to make anyone angry, but "Alfa Romero" is what many people call this car in the Southwest USA).

I appreciate the experience and knowledge of the senior members, the vendors who faithfully choose to supply parts for our cars, and or course, these wonderful cars themselves. My manager owns a Mazda Miata, copycat of the Alfa Spider! He says the Alfa's had quality problems...

Lately, people have taken to name-calling, chiding, and just being down-right crude, rude and socially unacceptable. Makes me want to leave the BB alone for up to two weeks.

Can't we all just get along? Rodney King died last summer, it's time for a new era.

Thanks,

Duke
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM

bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
watch more ' futurerama' be less grumpy....
but everybody identifies with bender--he's a grumpy artist

Frank Livesay Huntsville, AL
Green Alfa - 68 Canadian 1750 Spider Veloce (driver)
White Alfa - 68 Euro 1750 GTV (needs a refresh)
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
Lately, people have taken to name-calling, chiding, and just being down-right crude, rude and socially unacceptable.
Also should point out that this is a violation of forum rules, and the mods will swing Mjolnir if required to maintain peace and order

Although I do appreciate that a lot of folks on the BB make me feel very young and mellow in comparison
Attached Images

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode