neat way to remove valve guides - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 PM
FWIW, I've used Bianchi's method on several heads and had no trouble With damage to the head. Visually the bores look fine and there is no evidence of damage on the OD of the guide.

I must admit, I did not measure the bore diameter but the new guides only go in after heating the head, freezing the guides and a bit of persuasion (using the Jim K. tool).

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Garage
Shankle

Shankle used to offer a valve guide that was slightly knurled to replace guides that had gauled the guide bore. I have always just taken the correct valve guide removal tool and driven the guides out. Never had to us a over-sized or knurled guide. Knurling a new guide is not a big deal if you need it. Practically any automotive machine shop can do it or if you have a lath - easy. Always heat the head before driving new guides. Your oven works well here if your wife is not home.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
My engine builder back in the days when I used to race cars always used to make valve guides with a little step (flange?) on them so they could not drop. Yes this meant he machined up his own and wasted a lot of bronze (material assumed, not sure what they were made out of) but I like the idea.

These sorts of guides were used on my Sud race engine ... I think he machined the head(s) so the little step would go in a recese in the head so as not to upset the valve spring steel washer.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM

knurling doesn't add metal, it displaces metal leaving grooves and ridges, decreasing the inner diameter which can then be reamed to size.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86spider View Post
knurling doesn't add metal, it displaces metal leaving grooves and ridges, decreasing the inner diameter which can then be reamed to size.
Correct, but I believe "little_italian" was referring to knurling the outside of the valve guide, not the inside.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Italian View Post
Shankle used to offer a valve guide that was slightly knurled to replace guides that had gauled the guide bore. I have always just taken the correct valve guide removal tool and driven the guides out. Never had to us a over-sized or knurled guide. Knurling a new guide is not a big deal if you need it. Practically any automotive machine shop can do it or if you have a lath - easy. Always heat the head before driving new guides. Your oven works well here if your wife is not home.
Knurling the outside must be just a temporary fix.
It's generally agreed that the valve dissipates 25% of it's heat through the guide and if the whole guide is not in contact with the head that would affect heat transfer.
Why not just rebore the guide bore and install the proper oversize (OD) guide?

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Correct, but I believe "little_italian" was referring to knurling the outside of the valve guide, not the inside.

Pete
True, but I was responding to post 28 referring to knurling adding metal.

Wayne
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Note that the word added is in quotes. Just as RJs broach is in quotes. I though it may be easier for some to understand that knurling decreases the ID of the guide by "adding" metal rather than describe the actual process.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM

So it should be told in a sarcasm tone "adding" with fingers in the air like a certain ex pez ""I'm not a crook" heheh

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode