neat way to remove valve guides - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

I`m Not grumpy

Nor am I hiding behind a fake name on the BB. If you have issues with my post. Just ignore them. Or better yet understand that the numb-nuts posting stupid things need to be addressed as such.

We have a large group of them here on the BB. Great fun pointing them out!!! And they do include some of the "moderators"

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 10-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Well said JR !
I think that you should be a moderator. Then things would be quite civil around here !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !

Last edited by 101/105guy; 10-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Also should point out that this is a violation of forum rules, and the mods will swing Mjolnir if required to maintain peace and order

Although I do appreciate that a lot of folks on the BB make me feel very young and mellow in comparison
I don't approve of this dialog.. Please stop or I'm going to stop posting and take my pills. PS I never use icons..those are for people who don't know how to make a meaning to their words. HL Menken nor WC Fields nor Will Rogers nor Don Rickles needed them . Unfortunately none of them owned Alfas....Just get over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Well wisher

Quote:
Just get over it.
I hope you do too!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Ok, boys, let's play nice.

Brian __________________________________

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM

See what happens when the Sheriff throws his weight around? Clanton boys get really testy.....

Robert
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
flower thingie

The little flower thing is something the BB puts there and seems to relate to instant messaging. I don't know what or why. If you go to "edit your details" in the user CP, it appears under the available selections for instant messaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi1 View Post
dperterson3.. what is that flower thing in your header...?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Garage
I clicked on it and it sent me to ICQ which I think is an acronym for I Seek You and maybe also a take off on the radio telegraphy code for "general call" which was CQ. ICQ is an IM service.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Lots to read in this thread, on the surface and between the lines. Very helpful.

For someone who is likely to do this rarely, the experienced heads prevail. Personal experience in my (unrelated) field of work has taught me that there are ways of doing things, and then there are best practices. Sometimes a neat trick is worth a try - but when dealing with things that can be unrecoverably screwed up, the latter is always the best choice. Best not to succumb to short cuts, or, uh, take the bait.

Jeff - In coastal Alabama with one Alfa that runs.....
and only two more gathering parts.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM

I had never heard of Bianchi's method but trying to be impartial I looked up Rex Hutchison racing. They have been in business for 40 years so they are doing something right however looking at their website they mostly work on American iron.
A Chevy 350 is not an Alfa and my personal experience is these type of machine shops are not usually best for us. How many Alfas have they done?
I'll stick with the tried and true method Richard described.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM

I will chime in here. I have heard of this method before. used on airplane aluminum heads. but heating the head is to be used at the same time.

There are a few important things with this method.

1. The threads are cut on the combustions side (dirty side)
2. The thread should not go that far or past where the guide goes into the head
3. The guide is moved out from the clean side (Cam side) to the dirty side

So if the threads expand the guide it does not matter as that part is all ready out of the head. and will never go past the head.

And heat the head in a oven before you do it. And a bit of freez spray on the guide as you drive it out will not hurt.

But if you think this out there is no way pounding on the end no mater what the shape is better then pulling. and this method is a pulling not a pushing method.

If there is any elasticity to the guide the pounding will make it fatter while the pulling will make it skinnier.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM

As Rj brought up "Broach" and this is about valve guide.
I think I should say what is normally meant by Broach.
I think RJ was thinking if the thread went all the way and is a different context then what is the normal guide Broach. and this could confuse some one reading

So here is what is normally meant by broaching a guide.

There is a crappy practice of remanufacturing of heads where instead of replacing the guides they "Broach" them. common on the heads with the short 90day warrantys.

They run what looks like a tap but it does not cut it just pushes the metal in a spiral.
Then hone to spec the valve will run like a new guide as it will be tight. but the valve is riding on the tiny ridges of the spiral. and lets say there is a reason for the 90 day warranty.

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

The term for repairing valve guides, usually exclusive to cast heads with integral valve guides, is called knurling ('adding' metal), not broaching (removing metal). The two are completely different processes.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
The term for repairing valve guides, usually exclusive to cast heads with integral valve guides, is called knurling ('adding' metal), not broaching (removing metal). The two are completely different processes.
Yes, I believe RJ was implying that it would remove metal from the head where the guide is located as it was pulled out.

Removing valve guides is a rare thing for the home mechanic so the tried and true method is the way to go ... my point being saving 10 minutes of clock time is not important.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM

My memory might be fuzzy but I remember reading a ad for the set and I would have swear it was called a valve guide broaching. but knurling would make more sense. but it is still not adding but just grooving. a normal example of knurling would be the grip part of a jack handle. normally made with a wheel pushed into the rotating steel from a lath or NC mill the wheel has the pattern, looks kinda like a flint wheel off a lighter.

I think of a normal broach as the things used to make a keyway. so when used in odd ways I get confused I guess

As for the tap method it is not a time saver but a head saver and I think that method had been around a long time so it is a tried and true method.
but a normal shop, time is $ and just a quick pound out is faster.
I saw this tap method used on rare fragile air plane heads. the other method was to bore the guides paper thin and collapse them but that had other risks.
So it is not just the one place that does it like that.
and I think I have also seen that method in a car OEM shop manual too just can't remember which one.

The one thing I have noticed over the years anything to do with machinery have been done. maybe forgotten but done before.
So many times I see something as a brand new then see a 100 year old example latter.

Then there is the term more then one way to skin a cat.
there are a lot of ways to do some things none of them wrong.
and the fastest/cheapest way will become the norm but it might not be the best way but not wrong ether.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode