Preparations for a new water pump - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By Gubi
  • 1 Post By classicalfas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Preparations for a new water pump

By the looks of the green droplets flying out of the front of my 1300TI's water pump, I'm guessing it's time to replace it, and have a new one somewhere in transit between Centerline and SF. Not having replaced a water pump before, I'm curious if those of you who have, have any suggestions on how to prepare for the job. Are there any particular sorts of chemicals that are good for cleaning up the mating surfaces, and is it necessary to put any kind of sealant on the metal surfaces and/or the gasket before bolting the new unit on?

If it's necessary to use a sealant, and you have any recommendations on brands, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
AA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Just make sure the area is clean, I usually use fine grit paper. Normally the gasket is just fine, but you can use rtv, in my opinion.
Best regards
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Clean very well, especially around the tach drive bushing, and the oil pressure hole. You want a good seal there.
As long as you're there, if you feel like removing the crank pulley, it's a good time to do the front crank seal, if needed.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacferreira View Post
Normally the gasket is just fine, but you can use rtv, in my opinion.
The choice of gasket sealant is a bit like motor oil (or religion) - everyone has a preference, everyone has strong feelings.

RTV would NOT be my first choice. It's hard to apply in thin layers, it tends to ooze out "worms" that get into your coolant & oil passages and it smells like cat pee. I prefer a non-hardening gasket sealant applied it in a thin layer:

Or old-school, brush-on sealant:

spydaman likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Another question...do you apply the Permatex to the metal surfaces, the gasket, or all of the above?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The last water pump I got had specific instructions to install the gasket dry. Use a good gasket and clean the surfaces and you’ll be fine.
divotandtralee likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Tom. Guess I'll wait and see what sort of instructions come with the new pump.

Much obliged!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

One caveat. If a new pump, this shouldn't apply. I had a rebuilt pump once, I guess the sealing surface was not that smooth. I installed it dry, with a gasket. Once it heated up and expanded a bit water found its way into the oil passage. Took a while to diagnose that one. So I use sealer on both side of the gasket not matter what.
These are 6mm studs and nuts so need to be snug but not gorilla tight. The two left-most studs (generator side) go through the front cover into the block so stretch more.

Andrew
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
The last water pump I got had specific instructions to install the gasket dry. Use a good gasket and clean the surfaces and you’ll be fine.
I know of NO gaskets applied at the factory that used sealants around them. If you insist on using them which is okay, I suppose, I would use a Wurth product that is applied as thin a film as you can get it on both sides of the gasket .. some sealants work like glue and can make R&R parts the next time a real PITA. The old school Indian black sealant used on gear boxes is pretty good to used on gear box halves. Permatex makes it too. Looks and smells like licorice. I always installed water pumps and intake manifolds dry and never ever had a problem. Oil sumps I might put a very itsy small swab around the studs. I might do the same on a water pump depending on the gasket material. I cursed PO's when dismantling engines with gooy 'glued" on gaskets on them. I also never used anything but a Reitz gasket (unless not available) which are impregnated with graphite and meant not to stick..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfa View Post
Another question...do you apply the Permatex to the metal surfaces, the gasket, or all of the above?
I would lay the gasket on a piece of newspaper and smear a thin coating of sealant on the side that goes against the pump. Then I'd stick that to the pump surface. Next, I'd apply sealant to the other side of the gasket. After making sure the stud holes in the gasket are aligned with the holes in the pump housing, you can install the pump&gasket to the engine front cover.

The key to applying sealant is to just wet the gasket. You don't want any accumulation of sealant to ooze out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee
I know of NO gaskets applied at the factory that used sealants around them.
Sure, but the aluminum surfaces were nicely machined when the factory assembled these engines. But today, after many rebuilds, those surfaces are often nicked and gouged after having various hack mechanics scrape off the old gaskets with chisels, axes, chainsaws, etc. So you often need some sealant to stop those wounds from bleeding.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-29-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Thin, as you can see through it.
divotandtralee likes this.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Jay.. you are correct but I haven't taken apart an engine assembled by a gorilla, . I think a close eye on the subject spells what needs to be done. Anything not smooth needs smoothing and gaps (gouges) are an easy dab of gasket sealant I mentioned but only enough to seal the gouge. Boy, you must have seen some junk in your day. I only use plastic or a wedge of pine if necessary to break things loose. Never ran into a cratered gouged gasket seat or part that goes on it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I got the new water pump from Centerline. Interestingly, the installation guide says that if you're installing the pump with a gasket, that you shouldn't use sealant. If you install it without a gasket, though, it says you should use sealant. Out of paranoia, I'm inclined to use a smidge.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode