Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Recommendations for Super springs and shocks

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  climbernyc 
#1 ·
(I have searched the BB for applicable discussions, but I have not found what I wanted)

I have a 1970 Super, stock except for a 2 liter engine, and the 49 year old springs are sagging, especially on the driver's side. Now I'm sure we could shim the springs, but I am open to spring replacement.

I use this car for pleasure cruising and informal rallying/touring, I like the overall ride.

OTOH, I could do with slightly crisper handling, a bit less body roll, and a small amount of lowering would not be a bad idea. I DO NOT want to make an uncomfortable and stiff ride, however.

The car is running 185/70-14 tires on 6" wide wheels, so clearance should not be a problem with modest lowering.

So, my questions:

1. Stock vs aftermarket street springs? The Eibach springs seem to have a progressive spring rate design - any experience with these on a Super?

2. Shocks: stock vs a street performance shock like Koni Reds? or the "comfort" Bilsteins?

Thanks for your assistance, Giulia Super Gurus!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have experience with any other setups but I'm running Alfaholics fast road springs with Koni sport dampers.

The roads near me are extremely bad and at first the ride was simply way too harsh, larger bumps were fine but it crashed badly over small imperfections and felt very rough over poor surfaces.

However, I have since changed all suspension bushes and its much better, and the car has definitely become much more supple as I've racked up miles. Now its pretty good, I enjoy the extra support when driving hard but it is still close to being too harsh for UK roads. Perfectly enjoyable, but if I were doing it again I'd go for softer springs and koni reds for that extra bit of ride comfort.

#3 ·
Thanks, Yousuf.

I have already decided on Koni Reds, as I have experience with the Koni sport shocks, and I agree that they would be too stiff for the way I use the car. The roads here in New York can be quite bad, especially in the Spring before they have been "repaired" after the Winter freeze-thaw cycles.

I have not yet decided on springs, and am still seeking anybody who has experience with the Eibach springs (Classic Alfa in the UK has them).

#7 ·
Yes quite a bit but not like much stiffer springs. Like most things they are a compromise, but i think they are good. My car has 65,000 miles from new and I wouldn't be prepared to shake it to pieces with very stiff springs. They are great on a smooth road but I don't much like them anymore on most roads.

#6 ·
I have Eibach spring set, 27mm anti roll bar with S4 drop links, Koni Yellows at front, reds at rear and couple other mods. Shallow spring pans on both sides, 10mm/7mm shims to give slightly more preload on drivers side.
Front springs are really short and on my taste need shallow pans and some shimming up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.