Hood (Bonnet) Release Problem on My 66 Super - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Hood (Bonnet) Release Problem on My 66 Super

Super Men and Women,
When I tried to open the hood on my Super yesterday returning home from the Pittsburgh vintage races this weekend, I discovered that the release cable would not release the hood (bonnet, for the rest of the world). The cable has somehow come off or broken at the latch, such that I could pull the cable slack under the dash. Now I looked at the excellent write-up that 180OUT did for us a few years ago on how to remedy this, but the approach won't work on the 66 due to the two-piece heart on the grill interfering with the grille coming off after removing the locating screws on the grille. So of course I contacted our guru, Andrew, and he noted in his response that it will be tricky, and he is pondering the question in hopes of coming up with a solution. (Thanks for the quick response, Andrew!) In the meantime, I appeal to all of you who might have dealt with this issue in case you came up with a solution that worked for you on your 1966 or 1967 model year Super with the two-piece heart. Any help really appreciated!

TIA
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Have you tried spying it from under the car?.. like on a lift? If you can see it you can reach it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Uncle,
I have tried to see it from beneath and cannot find an angle where I can spy it. Might just be me...

Thanks,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Garage
Well when you do get it open, that will be a good time to install emergency release cables. I have them on my Berlina but havenít needed them yet.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Oh, yeah.. I Fergat it is a Super not a Spider.. Perhaps remove the center grille? looks to be accessible then... the latch swivels to the left side of the car when you pull the cable and is spring loaded to the center position, photo is my '72 to remind you what is there.
Attached Images

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll definitely be putting an emergency release on it once I get in there. The difficulty in getting the heart portion of the grille off in order to get inside is that the top portion of the two-piece center heart is screwed into the hood (bonnet) itself. And I can't get a screwdriver into the tiny space to remove the screws holding the top of the heart to the hood. It is meant to detach when the hood is open, obviously. And it is the heart itself that prevents the grille from coming off even though I have removed all the screws holding the main portion of the grille to the bodywork. I am attempting to make a tool that would allow me to get the screws out from the top portion of the heart. I cut a piece of angle to form a thin shim and then cut just the very end of a phillips head off and will try to epoxy the tool together first, and if that doesn't work, I guess try to weld it together. I think that might give me a way to unscrew those pesky screws hiding above the main piece of the grille. No other way a phillips screwdriver is going in that space even when I tried to use a flexible shaft. It's just too tight.

Thanks to all.
Charles
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 PM

Is it possible to fish a coat hanger with a loop on it and holding both ends of the loop through the LH side grille starting as high as you can through a slot? Post #7 here shows where to pull .

Stupid question ... is the cable broken at the release handle or the latch? https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sed...g-tension.html

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Uncle,
I don't think grabbing the cable through the grille will work. Under the dash, the cable is securely attached to the pull handle, and I can pull the cable from under the dash and pull cable into the interior. That says to me the cable is either broken or somehow no longer affixed to the release mechanism under the hood. If I can get the grille out of the way, I am hoping to get some way to release the mechanism itself, not to get at the cable. I hope this makes sense, but I'm pretty sure the cable has come adrift of the release mechanism itself at the release point right next to the spring mechanism shown in your photo above.
I appreciate your thinking about this.
Charles
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I sent you some other ideas. Some kind of crazy long hook of stiff wire might be able to grab the latch piece. Push down on the hood to release tension. This one's a toughie on a Super with two-piece grille.
Andrew
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I was just looking at my car, hood open. If you made a bar, sturdy but thin enough to fit between the slats, you could come in from the passenger side, push the latch toward the driver's side, open. The bar would be maybe 12-20" long, have a slight angle midway, so that it angles out through the slats, but the part inside would be parallel to the radiator support. That is, directly crossways. Achieve whatever angle is needed to get hold, and get some leverage. Pressing down on the hood slightly to relieve pressure on the latch would help. The latch pivot, where you're aiming, is dead center behind the emblem, and screw underneath. So aim for that. If you hear you're hitting the weird two-leaf spring thingy, you're very warm!

I can post a pic if that will help.

Andrew
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM

I know this is frustrating but sooner than later will it get done with no damage.. Put some Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra on and just plug away like you are try to escape Alcatraz with a teaspoon.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
While I feel less than confident about my ability to succeed with this, your encouragement will keep me going. I am going to try your approach, Andrew, and Uncle, your ideas about keeping calm are right on the money. Can't thank you enough!
Charles
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 PM

what I will try to do is:

_ remove front grilles, than you gain acces to
_ Take the lower part of the center grill out, Than you gain acces to
_ pook around with a screwdriver trying to move the latch to the drivers side
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quad, you can't get the center grille off when a car with two-piece heart has the hood closed. It covers the center screw.

I'll get a pic when the sun comes up of my idea above.

Andrew
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Quad, you can't get the center grille off when a car with two-piece heart has the hood closed. It covers the center screw.
I thought it was possible, but your right the upper part of the center hart covers the screw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode