Bad Brake Booster? 67 Super - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Bad Brake Booster? 67 Super

Hello,

I have a '67 super with standard brake set up. Brakes work well but fluid is getting into the intake causing misfire and a lot of blue smoke through the exhaust. I've changed the one way valve. I'm wondering if there is a valve on the booster that needs to be changed as well or is it just the booster that is bad. Thank you in advance. Given how expensive they are, I'd like to confirm it before ordering a rebuilt one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, they eventually leak and that's where the fluid goes; it's much like a master cylinder inside. You can buy a rebuild kit from Classic Alfa for $125 I think, they are not hard to do. Assuming the bore is basically OK, they rebuild decently.
Andrew
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Andrew. Without knowing it, you've been very helpful along the way of my GS restoration. Much appreciated. Once brakes works as they should, I will post some pics as it is now complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If you're not handy with hydraulics, I maybe wouldn't try it. But it's a simple cylinder, with an additional little angled valve and "hat" seal, and the air valve, which usually is fine. Take all the parts out carefully, line them up, put it back the same way after cleaning etc and looking at the condition of the bore.

Classic Alfa ships in like two days to the US with DHL, still cheaper than the competition.

You can also find repro Mini boosters through Moss and others for reasonable $$, as long as they have 3/8" 24 threads for the piping. 10mm thread is almost, not quite, identical.

Andrew
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
If you're not handy with hydraulics, I maybe wouldn't try it.
Karps might be able to rebuild a worn booster. See: http://www.karpspb.com/booster.htm

Quote:
You can also find repro Mini boosters through Moss and others for reasonable $$, as long as they have 3/8" 24 threads for the piping.
Hmm, interesting. I always wondered if there was an alternate source for these fluid-to-fluid boosters.

Is this the product you mean? The valve looks different, but it seems like it would bolt in with no alterations to the rigid lines. See: https://mossmotors.com/classic-mini/...arket-5-8-bore Note that Moss sells these in both 11/16th and 7/8th bore variations - which is correct for a 105 Alfa? Moss prices both at $165 (versus $259 for a correct-looking one at Classic Alfa).

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Again, very helpful. Thank you. I'm ok with hydraulics and quite enjoy projects like this.

As you likely know, there are two kits, one for the air valve and one for the servo. If I have to buy both, I'd be better off just purchasing a rebuilt booster. As the booster (brake assist) works fine, I assume the air valve is good. Fair assumption?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

That's Lockheed (69s US cars had them). It'll work, but is not the Dunlop/Bendix/Bonaldi booster, which is better.
Andrew
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That's Lockheed (69s US cars had them). It'll work, but is not the Dunlop/Bendix/Bonaldi booster, which is better.
I don't disagree, but the Lockheed-style booster was all I could find on the Moss Motors website. Too bad - I liked the $165 price!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Which is the correct size from Moss, and what's the user experience like?

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode