New Project - 1966 Giulia Super - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Project - 1966 Giulia Super

I wasn't sure if I wanted to start this post, as I haven't really torn into this project seriously yet. However, I have been inventorying parts, inspecting everything, and making my to-do lists, (which is actually a part of all this that I really like) and I figured maybe writing about it a little might provide the motivation to make time to get going on it, so here goes...

The basics:
The car is a 1966 USA Giulia Super. I bought it in October of last year, (2018) and it included a letter from Marco Fazio from the Automobilismo Storico indicating it was manufactured in March of 1966, and was originally a musk green body with skai interiors. Originally sold in Newark, NJ, but I have Northern California registration docs for it going back to the 70ís, so it seems to have spent much of its life there.
Currently, the body is a metallic dark grey color, although Iím not sure if itís a factory color. The interior is a mash-up of parts of various colors and materials, and while correct, are maybe not the parts it came from the factory with. That said, itís pretty complete, and has most of its harder to find parts and trim still with it, except for the original 1600 running gear, (it has been converted to a 2 liter, with a hydraulic clutch, and later Ate brakes). It appears so far to have no major rust, or evidence of major accidents in its past.
I have been taking tons of pictures as part of planning what the needs are. I will try and post some soon.

I have been without an Alfa since I sold my restored í71 GTV about three years ago, and with steady rise in prices for 105 cars I was beginning to get worried I might never again! However, I lucked into this one, and I have always wanted a Giulia Super so I am really excited. Normally, I prefer the hanging pedal cars. However, in this case I specifically preferred a first series Super, so I am extra happy to have found this particular car!

My initial plans are to clean-up the bodywork and underside, and have it painted. After that it will probably evolve a little on its own depending on what needs repair vs. replacement, degree of difficulty/expense, and my time. The car currently has a later model year 2 liter with Webers, but I donít know if it will run, or its overall state. The previous owner said it would turn over, but they never started it. I also have a complete 75 Twin Spark engine awaiting future plans .

Short term, I do have some parts I am missing that I still need to collect. The car is missing glass for both rear doors. I also need the correct alfa romeo trunk script (in all lower case as I typed it!). I havenít been able to find any of the regular parts sources that have the trunk script, so if anyone knows of a source, or IS a source, I would love to hear from you, (esp. if you are local to the L.A. area!). Additionally, if anyone has the rear door glass, let me know as well. In the meantime, I will post as wanted in the classified section.

Well thatís it for now. Of course, (as I am sure most of you know) I will have more as I get into it.

I canít wait to get going seriously on this, and trying hard not to think about driving it yet!

Tee

Currently: 1966 Giulia Super Previously: 1971 series ll 1750 GTV, '73 Spider Veloce, '69 Berlina, '69 GTV, '74 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sounds like a great project, we need pictures though...

Are you going back to Verde Muschio?

Tim
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!
I will get some pictures posted as soon as I can.

I am of the humble opinion that there are enough Verde Muschio sedans out there, sort of like red coupes! For now, I am planning to stay with the metallic grey color it is, or if there was a very similar factory color, maybe change to that.

Currently: 1966 Giulia Super Previously: 1971 series ll 1750 GTV, '73 Spider Veloce, '69 Berlina, '69 GTV, '74 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Some pics of the little beast

Here are some pics of the car finally...
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Garage
Envious and subscribing. Will follow eagerly
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Looks great! Looking forward to following your progress.

1968 Euro-spec 1750 GTV (under restoration)
1973 2000 Spider
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a couple alfa romeo scripts. Let me look.
Andrew
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Your grey colour looks V. good.
The 2 L is V. good.
A hot Twin Spark is E. better

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Andrew,
That would be great if you do, thanks for your consideration!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I really like the grey. I'm not sure if its a factory color. It looks a bit like the metallic medium grey, but I haven't compared it to a paint chip card or anything, and grey can be deceiving, depending on the light! I'm struggling with my plans regarding whether to get the car running with the 2L, or jump right to the TS. Leaning toward the 2L, because of course, I want to be able to drive it sooner! Building a hot TS will be expensive and well as take more time!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM

if you don't build the TS, would you consider selling it?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I dont think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroporte View Post
if you don't build the TS, would you consider selling it?
In my previous post, I only meant which direction I would go first; restore the car while getting the 2L running, (in order to be able to drive the car sooner) and then rebuild the TS and install later.
- OR rebuild the TS instead of getting the 2L running, and install it into the restored car. Either way, I ultimately plan to put the TS in the car.
-Sorry.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to GoldCloverLeaf
Nice find, i like the metallic colour but not period correct for a Bollino D'oro which could hurt the value of the car (if that's an issue for you), have you seen this fairly recent Alfaholics built example? Not sure on the paint code but that with a red interior would be about nirvana for me, and i own a Verde Muschio example. Giulia sedans are a lot rarer over here though, might only see one or two advertised a year, i only know of 2 other Verde examples in the country, mine used to be white but a PO had it resprayed in the 90's.

Looking forward to updates!
Attached Images

deepblue likes this.

For the Road: '67 Giulia Super, '85 GTV6
For the Off Road: '85 Unimog U1700L, '01 Defender Td5
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCloverLeaf View Post
Nice find, i like the metallic colour but not period correct for a Bollino D'oro which could hurt the value of the car (if that's an issue for you), have you seen this fairly recent Alfaholics built example? Not sure on the paint code but that with a red interior would be about nirvana for me, and i own a Verde Muschio example. Giulia sedans are a lot rarer over here though, might only see one or two advertised a year, i only know of 2 other Verde examples in the country, mine used to be white but a PO had it resprayed in the 90's.

Looking forward to updates!
You are probably correct about the color. I cant seem to find conclusive information on whether the metallic colors were available on the 65-67 Supers. I know that the "medium grey metallic" is listed as an available color for 66-67 in some literature, but not sure if it was available for the Super. Additionally, I am not even sure if that is the actual color on my car. It looks similar in photos, but I would have to compare to a confirmed real car, and/or a paint chip. In any event, I like the color, and although my car needs a re-spray, the previous paint job appears to have been pretty good, so I will likely stay with it.
YES! I have seen the pics of that car from Alfaholics, and that's pretty much the look and approach I am going for, and I plan to do a red interior as well, which I think works so well with any grey color!
Is your car all original, or do you have it "personalized"? -pic?
deepblue likes this.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Platinum Subscriber

And in the US market, I think we got way less than the full palette of colors. Of course, cars get brought over now from Europe, etc.
The late John Hertzmann was very up on this stuff. I have a 1971 paint chart, but not 1967.
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode